199 Bultaco Steering Taper Roller Bearings

hewson

Hi everyone, bit cheeky but does anyone have any taper roller bearings in there steering that as the part number ,i no a guy that works for a bearing shop, says he mite be able to fix me up with some cheap if he as a part number . Any body out there no. Thanks ;)

Hi everyone, bit cheeky but does anyone have any taper roller bearings in there steering that as the part number ,i no a guy that works for a bearing shop, says he mite be able to fix me up with some cheap if he as a part number . Any body out there no. Thanks ;)

Are they currently the cup and cone style? If you want to fit taper rollers this requires a modified top nut to make them fit.

You can get a taper roller which is the same I/D and thickness but has an O/D 2mm smaller than the bultaco cone bearing. If you know someone who can make you a 1mm thick sleeve to go into the steering head then these taper rollers will fit without any need to modify the top nut. I've done mine this way.

It doesn't have a conventional part number so if you quote it to most stockists they won't have it listed. The bearing is now in the bike so I can't measure it, but, I'm fairly sure it is a Yamaha TDR125/250 TOP steering bearing, number is something like 324405. I'll have a look tomorrow and see if I can find it or whether I've the measurements written down somewhere. The only difficulty is getting someone to machine you the sleeve to go into the steering head, otherwise no other mods required.

Got the size now, it's 43MM O/D, 25MM I/D and 11mm thick. The number is 324305. This isn't a common size so you won't find it on SKF, FAG etc product listings but as mentioned before, I'm sure it is the same bearing as a Yamaha TDR125/250 TOP steering stem bearing.

The Sherpa bearing is 45mm O/D and I don't think there is a taper roller available in that size.

Using a 47mm O/D bearing ground down to 45mm as Swooshdave has, is probably what the Miller conversion entails but because these are 15mm thick the top nut mods are required. Using the bearing 324305 only requires the steering head to be sleeved down as being 11mm thick it doesn't stick out of the steering head.

The Sherpa bearings are the same top and bottom and are common from type 49 right through to 199b. They are probably the same on pre-49 models too but I've never worked on one so can't confirm.

Very interesting Woody. I bought a Miller taper kit 2 or 3 years ago for a 199 and found that the outer races were too big for the steering head. Didn't pursue it at the time, they're still lying in a drawer somewhere so I'll see if I can find them and measure them up.

I suspect you're right on the Miller method and that my ones just haven't been ground down. ;)