Beta Rev 3 2004 Clutch Assembly

gazzaecowarrior

Beta Rev 250 clutch assembly. I have just fitted a new clutch to my 04 beta rev 250. It had been really stiff changing gears and after consultation with Mr Lampkin he advised me to change the plates. This I did and the gear selection is a lot smoother. It doesn't take an hour now to get it in neutral either. But whilst changing the clutch I found two very thin steel spacers / washers which fitted in between the cover of the clutch basket and the roller type bearing on the spindle. These don't appear to be factory issue but I have fitted them as I found them and the clutch appears to be fine. Does anybody know whether they should be there or not ? I apologise if my description is a bit poor but I don't know what the proper name for such parts are.

Also, if someone has access to a diagram of the clutch assembly for my bike I would I would be gratefull of any help. regards. Gareth

Edited by gazzaecowarrior

Long version:

Both of these washers will most certainly affect the performance of your clutch.

Refer to page 8 of the parts diagram on the beta website. i think the washers your speaking about are numbered 10 and 18. the larger of the two sits between the clutch centre and the clutch basket, where as the smaller sits between the clutch rod and the pressure plate. Again refer to the parts diagram if you are not sure what these are.

Hang on, just read your post again, are both washers the same size and from the same place? (Between the clutch rod and pressure plate)? if so, as far as I am aware, there should only be one. This should be between the bearings and the pressure plate. Without it your clutch won't fully disengage.

Also, bear in mind in the future, as far as I have previously gathered from this forum, beta's have a history of "sticky" clutches and you should pump the clutch a few times when first starting to get the clutch fluid moving.

Short version:

Put one of the washers back =)

Edited by Glyph

Long version:

Both of these washers will most certainly affect the performance of your clutch.

Refer to page 8 of the parts diagram on the beta website. i think the washers your speaking about are numbered 10 and 18. the larger of the two sits between the clutch centre and the clutch basket, where as the smaller sits between the clutch rod and the pressure plate. Again refer to the parts diagram if you are not sure what these are.

Hang on, just read your post again, are both washers the same size and from the same place? (Between the clutch rod and pressure plate)? if so, as far as I am aware, there should only be one. This should be between the bearings and the pressure plate. Without it your clutch won't fully disengage.

Also, bear in mind in the future, as far as I have previously gathered from this forum, beta's have a history of "sticky" clutches and you should pump the clutch a few times when first starting to get the clutch fluid moving.

Short version:

Put one of the washers back =)

Thanks for the advice. I spoke to Mr Lampkin on the phone today and he said that some beta's came with two washers and some with one. The washers as you said were in between the pressure plate and the bearings. They are of different sizes. I have put the larger one nearest to the bearing and the second slightly smaller one closest to the pressure plate. The clutch works fine and I just don't know whether I should pull out one off these washers. The biggest one is the same diameter as the bearing and sits flush on it. What do you think I should do ?

Never had a Beta clutch apart but from description alone I would say they are thrust washers and are of great importance!

Thanks for the advice. I spoke to Mr Lampkin on the phone today and he said that some beta's came with two washers and some with one. The washers as you said were in between the pressure plate and the bearings. They are of different sizes. I have put the larger one nearest to the bearing and the second slightly smaller one closest to the pressure plate. The clutch works fine and I just don't know whether I should pull out one off these washers. The biggest one is the same diameter as the bearing and sits flush on it. What do you think I should do ?

I think these would be shims to get the correct freeplay on the push rod.if you have put new(thicker) plates in you should be fine. I hope this is right as its been a while.

If it's not broken don't fix it =)

In that case leave them both in.

Hi there. I have been looking at the Beta motor website after finnally being able to download adobe reader. I can only find the diagram of the 07 beta rev 250cc. Yes you are right, it does only show one washer. There does seem to be another washer behind the basket but as I didn't take out the basket I don't think this is it. Is the 07 beta engine pretty idenetical to the 04 model. It does look it. Cheers for your help. It has been very usefull. regards. gareth