Best Bike Ever?

yamahaty250xox

I wasn't suggesting that the TY80 is the best trials bike ever... of course it isn't.

Why isnt it?

For a bike to still be fully competative and still capable of winning British championship rounds in its class, 30yrs after it was first made. Is there another bike out there that has been as competative at that level for so long?

I wasn't suggesting that the TY80 is the best trials bike ever... of course it isn't.

Why isnt it?

For a bike to still be fully competative and still capable of winning British championship rounds in its class, 30yrs after it was first made. Is there another bike out there that has been as competative at that level for so long?

Kids riding TY80s win national championships against kids on modern 80s? I had no idea.

If that's the case, why don't the manufacturers build a TY-like 80?

I think the humble TY175 must be up there, a good rider can still put in a good showing on a 34 year old bike.

I think Xispa would be on to a winner if it copied a TY175 and put some decent shocks and brakes on it and then sold it for a decent price.

Kids riding TY80s win national championships against kids on modern 80s? I had no idea.

If that's the case, why don't the manufacturers build a TY-like 80?

YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE issue 4, page 39 a review of the British Youth Championship after 4 rounds (out of 8) D class (small wheel)

Championship point so far

1st on 77pts on a Gas Gas

2nd on 71pts TY80

3rd TY80

4th TY80

Not bad for a very old bike

Why the TY 80?

I would suspect that people mentioning the 1974 Yamaha TY80 are unfamiliar with the 1973 Montesa Cota 25.

No, many of us are aware of the Montesa 25 however in terms of the TY 80 it doesn't even come close....how many 25 cotas are still around now??? I also suspect that there were not too many Cota 25s in the UK at any time though I know of one that was given to a dealer as a demo, who couldn't get hold of more when asked. As a bike though the the TY 80 was streets ahead.

My tuppence worth: do you want the bike that gave the biggest leap forward or the best trials bike ever, Biggest leap forward in technology for every rider: TY250, Best Ever - Lejeunes' RTL 250........odd they are both Japanese bikes (I'd have to score Vesty's 340 Bulto pretty close though)

Edited by Slapshot 3

Yamaha put trials on the global map. They are the clubmans bike. Since 98% of the trials world rides at the club level i feel that they were the most important.

ty80 and ty175 in the 70's were the first and second bike of so many riders.

In the 80's the mono ty's were the hot ticket.

You could walk into any dealership and get parts. (here in the states thats extreemly rare for trials)

In 1992 my father and i walked into a dealership in northern canada. There was a brand new pinky ty250. Yamaha forced the owner of the shop to take the bike. He had no clue what trials was and sold it to us for 800 bucks canadian. In my opinoin i applaud yamaha for pushing their bikes into the world.

--Hats off to yamaha Biff

YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE issue 4, page 39 a review of the British Youth Championship after 4 rounds (out of 8) D class (small wheel)

That sounds like a class designed specifically for TY80s.

Are there any current bikes that fit the rules description for that specific class? Was the one current bike (which happened to be leading) a modified bike with smaller wheels?

I suspect that's the case.

Are there any current bikes that fit the rules description for that specific class? Was the one current bike (which happened to be leading) a modified bike with smaller wheels?

While you possibly suspect correctly, I'd be keen to know how many of our current plethora of world class riders started out on a TY80, Dougie, Dibs, Browny, Wiggy, Ross Danby, etc etc etc ; go back a few years I suspect every rider has at some time early in their riding careers has had a spell on a TY 80.

Now hypothesise: we have a class that's maybe tailored to the TY for a reason, it's still (after 30years) possibly the BEST bike there is for a young kid starting out in trials. Now maybe my vote should change to the TY 80 as well, because if correct then that bike has helped create many of the best riders on the planet, can't get a better credential than that.

Edited by Slapshot 3

From the ACU website:

D Class Wheel & Capacity sizes

a)Small wheel Class - Max 50cc Mono or 80cc Twinshock ( fitted as original

equipment)

Wheel size - Max 16" Front 14" Rear

b)Medium Wheel Class - Max 50cc Mono or 80cc Twinshock ( fitted as original

equipment)

Wheel size - Max 19" Front 17" Rear

Thats the ACU regs for the D class, im fairly sure most companys do a bike that fits into those groups Beta REV3 or REV 50, Sherco 0.5, Gas Gas TXT Boy 50

Ok the TY is getting an engine size advantage but the modern bikes are lighter, the TY weighs 54kg (Haynes manual) the Gas Gas TXT Boy50 weighs 42kg, thats a huge difference for a 7-9yr old kid

Edited by Slapshot 3
Sorted Quote box

Scott, thanks for that.

It confirmed my suspicion that the TY80 wasn't going head-to-head with modern bikes.

And, as far as top riders getting started on TY80s, that's certainly not the case her in Southern California. We've got a mob of teenagers who are quite good and have probably never even seen at TY80 in person.

And, I'm not saying the TY80 wasn't a great bike. It was! It just think some of the praise is going a little overboard. Much of its success is due to a lack of competition, not its inherent brilliance. Certainly, the TY80 was not the blueprint for modern bikes the way the TY250R was.

Scott, thanks for that.

It confirmed my suspicion that the TY80 wasn't going head-to-head with modern bikes.

And, as far as top riders getting started on TY80s, that's certainly not the case her in Southern California. We've got a mob of teenagers who are quite good and have probably never even seen at TY80 in person.

And, I'm not saying the TY80 wasn't a great bike. It was! It just think some of the praise is going a little overboard. Much of its success is due to a lack of competition, not its inherent brilliance. Certainly, the TY80 was not the blueprint for modern bikes the way the TY250R was.

Don, what are you doing on your computer at this hour? Don't you have an event to ride in about 8 hours!

Don, what are you doing on your computer at this hour? Don't you have an event to ride in about 8 hours!

I was all set to leave Saturday morning and then we had a networking/ISP issue at home. :rolleyes:

I wasn't able to get it settled until about 5pm, which was kinda late to leave. :icon_salut:

Kelly doesn't mind me going off for trials, but the Internet better be working when I leave! :blush: