My New (old 03) 280 Pro

kdub

Well I have finally dived into the world of Trials with an 03 280 Pro. I have bought it of Ebay for a fair price in my eyes. I know these can be a bit of an animal but I crave power (19 years of mx). It's registered as a 52 plate ut has no MOT or tax. Whats involved with getting these machines road legal and where do I get insurance from. Roll on the weekend for its debut.

Now a few other questions, what gear oil, premix and ratio do I use. I currently use Rock oil for me 2 strokes and Silkoiline 10-40w semi for the gearboxes on both my 125 and 450f.

Any other tips would be much appreciated guys. Cheers Kev

Hope this pic works

gasgas1.jpg

Hi Kev,

Looks like a tidy bike, check if the rear tyre is rubbing on the silencer.

Can't help you with getting it on the road.

I've always run my Gassers on 50:1 fuel/oil using a good mineral 2T oil.

When you drain the gearbox, re-fill with 450 to 500 ml 10 weight mineral oil, or an ATF rated to Dexron III. Do not use synthetic.

I always run with a 10T g/box spkt and std 42T rear, the standard 11T is too high for my liking.

Remove the gearbox to frame mounting bolt (Under the s/arm mount) and check if the frame lugs match up to the engine case holes. If these are out, it stresses the cases. Solution is to drill out with a 10mm drill and refit the bolt.

Invest in an oversize rubber airbox flap, it fits over the top of the shock, Shirty may have these or you may have one already fitted.

Bye, PeterB.

Hi Kev,

Looks like a tidy bike, check if the rear tyre is rubbing on the silencer.

Can't help you with getting it on the road.

I've always run my Gassers on 50:1 fuel/oil using a good mineral 2T oil.

When you drain the gearbox, re-fill with 450 to 500 ml 10 weight mineral oil, or an ATF rated to Dexron III. Do not use synthetic.

I always run with a 10T g/box spkt and std 42T rear, the standard 11T is too high for my liking.

Remove the gearbox to frame mounting bolt (Under the s/arm mount) and check if the frame lugs match up to the engine case holes. If these are out, it stresses the cases. Solution is to drill out with a 10mm drill and refit the bolt.

Invest in an oversize rubber airbox flap, it fits over the top of the shock, Shirty may have these or you may have one already fitted.

Bye, PeterB.

Cheers Peter. Will take it out on it's maiden voyage tomorrow.

I use 66:1 (75ml in 5 litres) of fully synthetic Castrol TTS and super unleaded fuel, ATF is best in the gearbox - the clutch will drag like mad if you use anything that is even marginally too thick. As PeterB says 10/42 gearing is good, the bigger flap for the aibox is worthwhile, I also have a flywheel weight and a slow action throttle (black tube) on my 03 250, both help to make it easier to ride. If you manage to get it road legal it will probably be the only trials bike in the world that is :o At least it is already road registered, what you need next is a trials friendly MOT place, a shop that sells trials bikes is probably the best place to start. I have all my bikes (including 2 trials bikes) insured through TG Webster, I think they are in Yorkshire somewhere.