Scorpa

kdub

:D Well only 10 days into my trials career and the gasgas 280 pro I bought a few weeks ago let me down for the last time (3 times in 3 rides). So I looked at every ad known to man and found a mint condition 2006 sy 250 fully registered and even taxed. I have had 1 brief shot and although it doesn't feel as snappy as my gasgas it certainly feels made like a Jap bike in every department. The suspension fit/finish and the Uber smooth power well seems different class to my crappy 280.

Now to get the 280 fixed up and move it on.

Yep, you have seen the light................Gassers are very, very good but anything bigger than the 250 are a handful if you are new to trials, I've had 8 gassers over the years, with no problems. Have now got an 03 scorpa and it does me fine, yep, the japs make a cracking motor with the scorpa combination....................................................................G

REAT BIKE

Yes,... the Scorpa 'might' hold you back a little in Nationals, but at club level they are very competent and in my opinion the easiest 250 to ride.

There again... I'm rubbish, so what would I know? I've even put a slow action throttle on mine due to having poor reactions :D

Hello kdub,

shame that you had such a bad time with your 280, I guess you got a bad one.

I've had stacks of Gas Gas over the past 15 years and have always finished the trial. I do work on my bike a bit and that may be the key to ensuring reliability.

I did ride an 07 SY250 recently over 5 days at the Cinq Jour du Verdon trial in France. I thought it was a good, solid bike that rode a bit differently to what I am used to. A little slow to react in some tricky situations and the motor had a bit too much flywheel effect for me. I thought the power delivery and gearbox ratios were very good, an easy bike to get on with for many riders. I have not heard of any problems with these motors at all.

Bye, PeterB.

The power isn't the problem, it just feels likes its made from chewing gum compared to the scorpa. I do prefer the feel of the gasgas but I can quickly change the scorpa to suit. A little play with timing and I will take a little off the flywheel at work bit by bit until I get the response I want.

On my friend's 05 SY250, we fully advanced the ign as far as it would go (a bit too much for my liking but it does light up well) and some one had already reduced the flywheel weight to 2,650 gms by skimming off a step in the outer OD of the flywheel. Motor felt a lot sharper than standard. I think Birks recommends 2,800 gms as a good all round weight.

Bye, PeterB.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes,... the Scorpa 'might' hold you back a little in Nationals, but at club level they are very competent and in my opinion the easiest 250 to ride.

There again... I'm rubbish, so what would I know? I've even put a slow action throttle on mine due to having poor reactions :P

With regard to the slow throttle you mentioned, where would this be installaed on my bike if there was one as my bike has been lacking power. Ive changed the plug and an trying to use process of elimination to get the power up.

I'm also trying to adjust the throttle cable as there is some free play as I roll the throttle on, basically tightenting up the throttle cable above the carb. However the adjustment screw will only go so far which wont allow me to tighten the cable to a positive feel. Is there an adjstment screw inside the tp of the carb, would you know?

There again... I'm rubbish, so what would I know? I've even put a slow action throttle on mine due to having poor reactions :P

I'm also trying to adjust the throttle cable as there is some free play as I roll the throttle on, basically tightenting up the throttle cable above the carb. However the adjustment screw will only go so far which wont allow me to tighten the cable to a positive feel. Is there an adjstment screw inside the tp of the carb, would you know?

Sound's like it's had a replacement cable at some stage,and they cut the cable off to long.

On a slow action throttle the tube of the twistgrip is black, quick action is white. A slow action throttle won't reduce power, it just means you have to twist the throttle further to open the carb the same amount