The Stator Cover And How Useless Mine Is!

beta bodger

Just washed my bike for the first time (an 06 Cabestany) with a normal hose.

I removed the stator plastic cover and water/crap poored out! :huh:

I am used to removing the cover as I used to run a Beta, but this cover is just pants!

Even when tightened there is a gap near where the wiring goes in. This just lets all the muck in!

There are two schools of thought that I am playing with.....

1. Seal it up with gasket sealant (but if water gets in it cant get out)

2. Remove the cover after each ride and the stator plate and clean up (nah thats a crap idea)

So I can't be the only one with this problem. I am sure I have read of someone using a later model cover which is better???but dont know which...

What have you guys done to get round this obvious design fault?

Thanks

Edited by Beta Bodger

Actually I am somewhat surprised at this as since they changed the cover for 06-07 mine have been tight as a ducks bottom even in the pressure wash. In years prior I would always drill a small hole in the bottom so whatever got in could get out and allow some breathing. Maybe it is just THAT cover that is warped or summat. They are not costly, the o-ring is! Maybe you can seal it with a dab of RTV, worth a try. :huh:

Actually I am somewhat surprised at this as since they changed the cover for 06-07 mine have been tight as a ducks bottom even in the pressure wash. :huh:

Thanks Copemech perhaps its my cover as to be honest i would not know.

The cover may be off another Sherco.....i have only had the bike for a month so i would not know...

I have taken a few pictures of the cover both on and off the bike. You can actually see the slot/hole.

Clicky

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12077623@N08/1434311880/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12077623@N08/1433436029/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12077623@N08/1433439595/

Is this an 06 cover or have I been trumped?

Thanks all its your help that keeps us lot sain! :huh:

Edited by Beta Bodger

Looking at the pice closly, seems you got all the right stuff. Possibly just enough warpage in the plastic or something to allow water entry as the differences seem minute at best as directly compared to mine.

I do try to avoid direct pressure when powerwashing the wire entry point. If you are getting water entry with simple hose pressure or riding, I would use that dab of sealer in that area and test it untill you are satisfied, or replace the cover if you suspect warpage!

The good thing about the newer covers is they have the little flange about most of the outer area which deflects most of the water.

Last resort, drill the small 1.5mm hole in the bottom, hell I have seen it for years done on Sherco, Bets, Gassers etc! You don't even want to know what the maggie covers cost for a Yam or Mont by comparison!

Cheers,

Thanks Copemech its reassuring that ive actually got an 06 cover!

The cover does not seem warped but im going to install the cover with the o ring and a load of gasket sealant.

I will hope for the best and then recheck.

I was worried that by not sealing it properly I would experience the same stator failure as I have had in the past with a Beta.

Saying that it was probably down to a design fault with the stators.......

Thanks Copemech its reassuring that ive actually got an 06 cover!

The cover does not seem warped but im going to install the cover with the o ring and a load of gasket sealant.

I will hope for the best and then recheck.

I was worried that by not sealing it properly I would experience the same stator failure as I have had in the past with a Beta.

Saying that it was probably down to a design fault with the stators.......

My07 let water in during a river crossing. I instantly emtied water out and bike ran for ten minutes then the stator died! Had to put new one in, hopefully paid for by factory!! and I made sure I siliconed it up including the wire rubber! Yep the cover is crappy even on the 06 and 07, seem to be same on 08 to!

Beta Bodger Posted Sep 23 2007, 02:07 PM

Just washed my bike for the first time (an 06 Cabestany) with a normal hose.

I removed the stator plastic cover and water/crap poored out!

HHMMM this is not the first time I have seen someone refer to this odd ritual.

What exactly is this "washing the bike" I have heard so much about?

isn't my 2000 sherco supposed to be dirt colored and lumpy?

:huh::huh:

copemech Posted Yesterday, 10:44 PM

Zipper, if you will put the proper plastic cover over that thing that goes round-n-round, it will lessen the mud thrown up between the legs and into the crotch and eyes. It is not your old Mustang minibike

Well now what would the fun be in that?? The muddier I am the harder I must be riding right?

Unfortunately, it is very usual in all sherco models. If you want something fancier than silicone, may try this:

motorsh.jpg

Is a very easy shape that any machinist would build for not much money... and you could change to your future shercos.

Cheers, JM.

Wow! I want one! why doesn't someone make these???