Geoff Cannell

cubby

Those of you who over the years have been regular visitors to the Isle of Man will at some point have come across Geoff Cannell. Sadly he passed away very suddenly yesterday.

Geoff was one of the Islands leading sports journalists both in the local newspapers and on radio, and a former Centre Solo Trials Champion.

He will be most famously be remembered for being one of the main commentators on the TT races and had what can only be described as an encyclopedic knowledge of the event. What he didn't know didn't happen!

He commentated on Steve Colley's displays during TT on the promenade and was due to be press officer for the TDN this weekend. Such an enthusiast for trials, motorcycling and sport in general is hard to find and he, and his forthright views, will be sadly missed.

Geoff along with Peter Neale, was the voice of the TT for many years.

Dashing up and down the pit lane during the races, Geoff had a real knack for being in the right place at just the right time to catch the racing dramas as they happened, he was always able to maintain a seamless dialogue, despite being surrounded by dozens of machines speeding in and out of the pit lane.

When being interviewed by Geoff, his ability to recall your racing career was amazing.

He will be missed. Sad news indeed.

Sad news. Geoff was very much part of the TT, and Manx motorcycling in general. He was almost as much of a legend as the riders he so admired.Living just across the water I have spent many hours listening to Manx Radio during TT week and Geoff made it come alive as if I was there.

Growing up and getting into bikes in West Lancs in the 70s I was able to tune into Manx Radio when the TV only had three channels. The voices of Peter Kneale and Geoff provided the backdrop to some of my greatest motorcycling memories. My condolences to his family at the sad loss of a loved one who was a great ambassador for all two wheeled sport.