Lost 1st Gear!

andyt

Hi all, lost 1st gear on sunday. Neutral is now at the bottom & there is another neutral before 5th - I'm assuming its not good. Any ideas what I should be looking for if I rip the engine appart? I've seen the service manual links on here, is there anywhere with exploded diagrams of the gearbox? Ive had honda 4t minibike engines apart & the shift drum is moved by ratchet & a shift star, but I can't see from the pictures how the gearshaft assembly moves the shift drum. Any idea what might had caused it, I was speeding down some hills between sections with the clutch in? Any advice gratefully received. thanks

Everything works basically the same. Hopefully just a bad spring or something, but you will likely have to pull the clutch side for inspection. Internals rarely give problems. :(

The online parts manual has a pretty good exploded view.

Edited by copemech

• 1 month later...

Well gear problem seemed to go away for a couple of trials until the other week when halfway through I got stuck in 4th & wouldn't shift, so after a strip down & the help from the manuals posted on here

strip.jpg

I found the problem!

snap.jpg

Anyway 35 quid later for the shift shaft, it's back together ready for the weekend and how much easier is it to find neutral when the engine is running?

I popped the forks out, slung it in the back of the car and got my local shop to get the clutch nut off with their impact gun (Farleys in Guildford, very helpful). No idea on the spring, the bikes on old 2000. Bike was working good, trialed both days at the weekend, sunny sat, p****d down Sun, 40 sections in an hour and a half..