Oklahoma Endurocross

city trials

Trials riders beware, EnduroCross isn't as easy as it looks. Just ask the 1/2 dozen or so that showed up this weekend to give it a go.

Keith Wineland (ERE/Montesa) made it to the main and finished 4th. Keith was again our top class trials rider, showing the EnduroCross world he's a player to be reconded with. Nick (Sherco) was trying his best, but last nights track didn't suit his style.

Phillip (Sherco) and Colton Haaker were railing and each missed the main event by one place. Phil just missed a main show entry in his first heat race, placing third in his first heat race - and Colton, well, Colton could be a future star once he controls his abundant amount of energy. Colton was on the leaders heals every race and - came in second in the last chance qualifier, Aaron finished fourth and Phil was right on Geoff's heals. Reverse from last week.

Word was KTM and Suzuki are mighty p****d at the Trials guys and threatened to pull out if the tracks kept favoring the trials bikes. I heard orders were given to level the playing field. This weekend the track was super fast, with long straighaways and less rocks and tough obsticles. My though was, "if we wanted to compete in a SuperCross race with a trials bike, we would've entered a SuperCross race with a trials bike."

A thanks again to RYP/Scorpa's Mike Harker for the extra pit support. A big thanks to Ron Lee for his help during the week. You guys are the greatest.

Edited by City Trials

I see where Suzuki and KTM, as well as the organizers are coming from.

If we started an Indoor Trials Series with big support from Montesa, Sherco, etc., and enduro guys on enduro bikes came in and started finishing on the podium, you can be sure the obstacles would be adjusted accordingly.

It's a new sport and new concept. It will take a while to get the wrinkles out.

If I were them, I'd court both. I'd have weight limits in a class (say 225 pounds) which would eliminate trials bikes, and then have an unlimited class. So, you'd have, basically, a trials bike class and enduro bike classes. They might as well get 4x4 ATVs out there.

Craig- good hangin out with you guys at the endurocross! Phil is a nice and humble young man and was still all smiles even though he didn't make it to the final- a nice quality to see in a young man!! Thanks for the video- "Phil's Smagical adventures". Frank and I laughed while we watched it on the way home. Other people should buy this video and watch it- it is very well done and enjoyable!!! Maybe we will see you in Vegas if not good luck!!!!

Tom Bledsoe

Word was KTM and Suzuki are mighty p****d at the Trials guys !
:P

Maybe they should have a nimble bike that runs! Similar to the T-ride! You know, something that the average guy could actually sit on, did not rip your wallet out of socket! And you could actually trail or street ride! :blink:

Edited by copemech

Craig- good hangin out with you guys at the endurocross! Phil is a nice and humble young man and was still all smiles even though he didn't make it to the final- a nice quality to see in a young man!! Thanks for the video- "Phil's Smagical adventures". Frank and I laughed while we watched it on the way home. Other people should buy this video and watch it- it is very well done and enjoyable!!! Maybe we will see you in Vegas if not good luck!!!!

Tom Bledsoe

Thanks Tom, same here. Noel's a lucky man to have four wonderful kids. I'm a lucky man he and his wife allow me to take off around the country with one or both (Pat and Phil) of them at any given moment to try something out of the blue.

Frank Totton and yourself represented Northern Illinois trials (NITRO) well on the track in the vet class. No DNF's, no trips to the hospital, the club should be proud of you two as well. Yes, we hope to see you in Vegas.

FYI: Phil got some luck even though he didn't make the main event. Both Keith (3rd) and Phil (7th) are in the top ten in EnduroCross series points. Now they don't have to qualify on the 'Anything Goes' Friday in Vegas!

Edited by City Trials

Word was KTM and Suzuki are mighty p****d at the Trials guys and threatened to pull out if the tracks kept favoring the trials bikes. I heard orders were given to level the playing field. This weekend the track was super fast, with long straighaways and less rocks and tough obsticles.

I'm not sure this is a good idea. This race is special because of the tough obstacles. Most fans go there to watch riders negotiate an insane track. If it becomes a supercross race without the big jumps, I definitely wouldn't be interested.

Maybe class limits is the answer. It would not be as good as having just one class, but at least it would still be entertaining to see the riders race through big obstacles.

Video of the 2007 Oklahoma endurocross final:

Edited by elctb

Word was KTM and Suzuki are mighty p****d at the Trials guys and threatened to pull out if the tracks kept favoring the trials bikes. I heard orders were given to level the playing field. This weekend the track was super fast, with long straighaways and less rocks and tough obsticles. My though was, "if we wanted to compete in a SuperCross race with a trials bike, we would've entered a SuperCross race with a trials bike."

Twas a boring course. Had to fast forward to be able to watch it all.

Nothing in the rule book says that KTM and SUZ can't make a trials bike.

If the sponsors want Endurocross to fail they should keep making flat lander tracks like like the one for Oklahoma.

DFW

Thanks for the links. Here's one where Colton and Phil finished 3rd and 4th respectfully.

LCQ. Colton almost scores big at the 3:55 mark of the video. I noticed the Montesa 4rt really had the motor to keep fairly even with the enduro bikes down the straight aways. Watch Colton launch the rock pile too. The kid is exciting to watch on the track.

Edited by City Trials

That looked pretty good!

I guess I'm thinking "Enduro"cross not "Trials"cross. Its good that the promoters change it up. The water turn looked good

It is so cool that the trials group are finishing well. No small feat.

Remember promoting is about selling; Tickets, Advertising, Products. No compettion = No sale. For the manufacturers to support there has to be something in it for them, they are willing to pay for it. I hope the promoters are able to keep it challenging without succombing to the manufacturers.

maybe what should be done is couple a trials indoor pre show and then if the trials guys want to compete in the endurocross just ride a big bike i dont think kieth, philip, colton, and others would be any slower on a big bike

i dont think kieth, philip, colton, and others would be any slower on a big bike

Colton rode a mx bike for one of his early afternoon races and his lap times were 13 seconds off his lap times on his trials bike. His fast trials bike times were running in the 1 minute 22 second range to 1m.35s on the mx bike.

Edited by City Trials

City Trials, Is it just me or were the other riders fading badly towards the end of the race? I thought the trials guys seemed like they didn't fade as bad.

If you don't come in the top two in your heat race, it's a good bet you'll be doing nearly 22 racing laps in a two hour period - with very little breaks inbetween. Outside of the top 4, (Knight, Huffman, Pearson and Wineland) everyone was fading towards the end of the main event. Arm-pump is a common issue.