Overheating!

drhud

07 SY250. For some reason it has been overheating lately. I've checked the obvious,

Coolant is full, except for a little bit gone from the overflow.

Fan works

Impellar is in good condition and spins

Coolant in good condition

Radiator is NOT clogged, so that air can pass through the cooling fins

Not sure what else it can be??

Are your symptoms; heat or blowing out of excess coolant? does your fan start running, How do you ride? is the engine sounding normal? (like a vacume cleaner is usual for scorpas due to the straight cut primary drive gear) are your brakes sticking?

Edited by greggjflower

Check the hose where it comes out of the water pump housing very carefully. Pull it and stretch it to make sure that there are no tiny pinprick type holes in it. Even a tiny hole will lead to loss of pressure and overheating.

I had exactly this problem in France this year. I had caught the hose on a rock and whilst I initially thought that I had just scraped it closer inspection revealed that it was leaking slightly. This leak was not enough for steam or water to pour out, and would only seep out when the hose was stretched at the point of failure. This resulted in overheating and poor running as you would expect.

Edited by Enrico

Yes, the lights were tasken off, but the fan still works when revved.

I'll check the bend in the hose. That is a very tight bend.

The symptom is heat. No visible smoke. I did notice tiny rust marks around the fill and sides of the radiator, indicating some water was getting out.

The motor was pinging, only when hot, not all the time.

Riding is "advanced", but these last two rides I wasn't doing anthing big and no high speed trails.

The brakes are not sticking. The bike rolls freely.

Thanks for the ideas so far.

Yes, the lights were tasken off, but the fan still works when revved.

I'll check the bend in the hose. That is a very tight bend.

The symptom is heat. No visible smoke. I did notice tiny rust marks around the fill and sides of the radiator, indicating some water was getting out.

Riding is "advanced", but these last two rides I wasn't doing anthing big and no high speed trails.

The brakes are not sticking. The bike rolls freely.

Thanks for the ideas so far.

Is the black cylindrical regulator still in position on the ally "sub frame" and is it connected.

it might be pre ignition caused by a build up of carbon on the piston, take the head off, if it is pre ignition there are usually some small "holes" in the carbon deposits on the piston, clean completely the piston and the head and try again. hope this cures it . paul. :P

Hose is OK, no pin hole leaks.

I believe the regulator is still mounted. Ran the bike today and the fan came on and and also shut off numerous times.

Ran this by two "mechanical minds" today. Couple things they mentioned that may help others...

1. To check the operation of the impellar, take off the radiator cap and check for circulation of the coolant.

2. Someone mentioned a leaky head gasket, to check that, look for an abundance of air coming out of the overflow.

I was hoping to avoid tearing the motor apart, but looks like that may be my next step.

Have you or someone else taken the lights off?. Rev the bike when the fan is on and see if it stops.

my fan goes off as soon as I rev the motor, whats that mean?

From previous posts I think this is the culprit, once the voltage fails to be checked by the regulator(i.e. over 12 v when you rev up) the fan stops.

Do a search on this forum for a similar fault.

I believe the regulator is still mounted. Ran the bike today and the fan came on and and also shut off numerous times.

Ran this by two "mechanical minds" today. Couple things they mentioned that may help others...

1. To check the operation of the impellar, take off the radiator cap and check for circulation of the coolant.

2. Someone mentioned a leaky head gasket, to check that, look for an abundance of air coming out of the overflow.

I was hoping to avoid tearing the motor apart, but looks like that may be my next step.

Hi, not being a knob here but you believe it is there or it is there definetley?

Hi, not being a knob here but you believe it is there or it is there definetley?

No offense taken. If is that important, I will check when I get home tonite for the exact location.

No offense taken. If is that important, I will check when I get home tonite for the exact location.

Well?, Dr have you been home yet, we are all in suspenders waiting!! :D

Edited by lastplacebrad

Well?, Dr have you been home yet, we are all in suspenders waiting!! :D

Sorry for the delay, yes, the regulator is still mounted and connected.

Unfortunately, I may have misdiagnosed the problem!! IDIOT! Ran this by the factory boys and they seem to think it is a fuel starving problem, sysmptons are similar. I have a late night at work today, but will get to it by end of tomorrow and let you guys know the result.