Trials In Durham

matty71

Hello Matty,you could try castleside quary at consett theres a bit of everything up there.It's on the a68 between consett & allensford. Were going up this sunday because we missed out on the Weardale trial this sunday because the entry is full.Should be a good day,have yourself a look up & check it out. :P

Whilst I'd agree that Castleside quarry offers many challenges and appears a great place to practice, If you wish to remain legal, the only place I'm aware of that is open to the public is Warden Law where you pay a fee for the day.

It irks me that whilst the council maintains many little used but large sporting facilities at the ratepayer's expense (count the empty football pitches) It will not allow disused quarries that have come into its possession for organised trials or trials practice. I guess the logistics of control, insurance, and protecting the dog walking public are insurmountable, but it seems a terrible shame.

• Like 1

Whilst I'd agree that Castleside quarry offers many challenges and appears a great place to practice, If you wish to remain legal, the only place I'm aware of that is open to the public is Warden Law where you pay a fee for the day.

It irks me that whilst the council maintains many little used but large sporting facilities at the ratepayer's expense (count the empty football pitches) It will not allow disused quarries that have come into its possession for organised trials or trials practice. I guess the logistics of control, insurance, and protecting the dog walking public are insurmountable, but it seems a terrible shame.

Hi Gordon

do Derwentside council actually own castleside ?

It irks me that our centre hasnt the funds to buy or lease the place or somewhere similar. We (me included) dont seem to have learned anything since the last outbreak of F&M and consequently may be spending this winter in Buttsfield !

Unfortunately i doubt we'll be able to spend too much of this winter in Butsfield. Its restricted by number of uses allowed per year.

Its a pity all the NE clubs couldn't get together and buy somewhere like rogerly.

Wonder if the Coal Board would sell Hedley Drift :P

Glen, the trouble is Gary is right.

Owning a piece of land does not mean you can use it just whenever you want, the beardies & tree huggers would put a stop to that even if the neighbours didn't. Dalton Woods (I think?) near Croft springs to mind.

However, in principle, I agree with you entirely, the more land owned by clubs, the more potential places to host organised trials. Unsupervised practice is a whole different kettle of fish.

There used to be a council sign at Castleside saying no motorcycles. Not too sure what happened to it.... So I assumed the council were the owners. On reflection this may not be the case. I'm certain though that if they do own it, they will not allow the riding of motorcycles there.

Glen, the trouble is Gary is right.

Owning a piece of land does not mean you can use it just whenever you want, the beardies & tree huggers would put a stop to that even if the neighbours didn't. Dalton Woods (I think?) near Croft springs to mind.

However, in principle, I agree with you entirely, the more land owned by clubs, the more potential places to host organised trials. Unsupervised practice is a whole different kettle of fish.

There used to be a council sign at Castleside saying no motorcycles. Not too sure what happened to it.... So I assumed the council were the owners. On reflection this may not be the case. I'm certain though that if they do own it, they will not allow the riding of motorcycles there.

Yes I realise that BUT

local authorities in our neck of the woods are having problems with kids on mini motos flying around any open space they can find. Warden Law is a good example of a facility that works for the local authority (as it gives the kids somewhere to ride) and the motorcycle community. Why not try to get planning permission on that basis ? or on the non permanent basis, even if it was only used once a month it would be worth it.

Guisborough club have a legitimate practice facility I believe, and theres a quad track with some trial sections near Sedgefield. But North Tyneside, South Tyneside and Northumberland have nothing that I'm aware of.

Instead of typing on here I'll try somthing with the NE ACU / clubs and maybe contact a council planner I happen to know from some advice

• 7 years later...