Laia Sanz

cota kid

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 or 10 rounds both had just the same challenge, one won.

Only it wasn't that great a challenge. I reckon they should lump them in with 6 rounds of theyouth wtc and that would sort out the ladies from the women or is it the other way round?

And if they done that, how would Laia ride the youth sections and the junior ones at the same time?

Only it wasn't that great a challenge. I reckon they should lump them in with 6 rounds of theyouth wtc and that would sort out the ladies from the women or is it the other way round?

And if they done that, how would Laia ride the youth sections and the junior ones at the same time?

With difficulty?

Clearly finishing as the only girl in juniors illustrates that she really is the best.

if the 6 rounds were all in europe (as they are now) 4 to count could work for less work.

With difficulty?

Clearly finishing as the only girl in juniors illustrates that she really is the best.

if the 6 rounds were all in europe (as they are now) 4 to count could work for less work.

If Laia would drop down to the youth sections then this would work and looks like a good solution I reckon. Whether it would be challenging enough for her I wouldn't know ?

Any reason why this hasn't been considered before as I can see lots of benefits to this idea. :P

I agree with that it could be perceived that the championship was devalued by only having 2 rounds, but in the not too distant future all people will remember and all the history books will say is that Iris won so I reckon that can be gotten over.

And no matter how many rounds there are you have too ride and win what is provided. But planning in at least 5 or 6 rounds would solve the problem should for any reason one round get cancelled.

How about aligning them with the European Champiionships? Is this feasable?

The other thing that needs to be thought of when planning a radically bigger championship than at present is expense. As we all know the only factory rider is Laia, and whilst maybe Iris and one or two others might have some decent support, the rest are pretty much self supporting like the rest of us and you might find there is currently a limit to how many rounds will realistically be supported. People will always turn up but to suddenly go from three rounds to six rounds doubles costs straight away.

People will always turn up but to suddenly go from three rounds to six rounds doubles costs straight away.

Good Point cubby, i think on a personal note that the womens world championship should be four rounds next year and then maybe progress it to 5 in a few years then maybe even 6. I Was lucky enough to catch my first look @ the ladies WTC on the isle of man (I have seen a few brit rounds) and i think that if they keep progressing like they currently are and the sport keeps getting bigger and bigger then more riders will get support to travel and ride......... BUT without having more rounds this wont happen as they wont get the time to show what they can really do.

I Also think that more riders have the support then we all think, I can bet my bottem doller on it that Iris didnt pay a penny to ride the world rounds this year.

Edited by Donaldduck

The other thing that needs to be thought of when planning a radically bigger championship than at present is expense. As we all know the only factory rider is Laia, and whilst maybe Iris and one or two others might have some decent support, the rest are pretty much self supporting like the rest of us and you might find there is currently a limit to how many rounds will realistically be supported. People will always turn up but to suddenly go from three rounds to six rounds doubles costs straight away.

You make a good point but I don't think the Dabster said that . He said 4 rounds to count from 6 . A rider could then ride 4 rounds as a minimum to count and they could all be the European ones if they wished.

I actually think the women would want to ride more rounds than 2. For them to ride at the same WTC rounds as the lads could have the effect of raising the profile of women's trials which wouldn't be a bad thing. :D

Andy would love taking the pictures for a start ;)

I think a couple of points have been well made:

1. I too think Laia is the only true factory rider and

2. It's not cheap travelling round and about all the time - we have a ferry bill to go anywhere.

I was lucky enough to get a couple of local decent sponsors when i did the european rounds but was the only english girl to go to Norway that year because it was too expensive - while you're away you can't be earning the money to pay for it all - and thats another thing, time off work isn't endless.

In an ideal world i think the factory teams should take on at least one female rider and give them support but realistically you would be left with only a handful of riders at the trials - those with the factory support and those who have Dads have deep pockets!

A bigger and better championship for females would be fantastic but I think realistically out of reach for alot of the everyday riders.

Would be nice to hear what the english female riders think - Where are you on this one??? :D

I think a couple of points have been well made:

1. I too think Laia is the only true factory rider and

2. It's not cheap travelling round and about all the time - we have a ferry bill to go anywhere.

I was lucky enough to get a couple of local decent sponsors when i did the european rounds but was the only english girl to go to Norway that year because it was too expensive - while you're away you can't be earning the money to pay for it all - and thats another thing, time off work isn't endless.

In an ideal world i think the factory teams should take on at least one female rider and give them support but realistically you would be left with only a handful of riders at the trials - those with the factory support and those who have Dads have deep pockets!

A bigger and better championship for females would be fantastic but I think realistically out of reach for alot of the everyday riders.

Would be nice to hear what the english female riders think - Where are you on this one??? :D

Or we get the Ladies/girls to share the ACU truck and then the cost wouldn't be so great and all could compete.

Oh yes we haven't got one.

Yeah I missed the bit about dropping a couple of rounds - but agree that could lessen the burden.

The ladies side of the sport is on the cusp (good word eh? :D) of getting bigger but it just has to be done sensibly and with the buy-in from the people who are going to compete.

I like Vicx idea of each team giving support to a rider, that might be something that could be explored, but would also not necessarily solve the problems as the best would just get even more exclusive in what is already a small field with a huge difference between the top and bottom riders.

And Nigel's comment about the support truck well made - I mean really is it necessary for the Italians to have quite such a big truck!!!! It was huge, and dominated the paddock at the TDN. The rest of the team trucks were also impressive, and then English team turned up in an assortment of Vitos, Transporters etc. You still have to go out and ride though and a big truck isn't necessarily gonna help you but as a base for non-factory British riders it would be nice.

Having been a minder at ladies world champs for a few years now I would like to add a few comments.

Laia is without doubt the best and the harder the sections the better for her and she wins by a mile. In the IOM she paid for her mistake but could have still won the event and the world champs by going clean on her 2nd lap but a dab cost her. Fair play to Iris, she kept her nerve to win.

As far as being suprised how much the girls get this is not correct. The top two british ladies who are number 3 and 4 in the world don't get as much help as you think. In the main they cover all their travelling expenses themselves or with family help so increasing the number of events would not be beneficial. After all they have a three round european championship to compete in as well and they and their family / minders etc have to take time off work to cover these trips away as they have full time jobs to help fund trials.

If they were to put the world ladies on the youth sections this would just put a lot of them off and reduce numbers dramatically. Currently they get approx 30 competitors at ladies worlds or euros but I think it would be more like ten if on the youth sections as they are that much harder.

At the moment I think it needs to stay as it is and be allowed to grow before changing much.

Having been a minder at ladies world champs for a few years now I would like to add a few comments.

Laia is without doubt the best and the harder the sections the better for her and she wins by a mile. In the IOM she paid for her mistake but could have still won the event and the world champs by going clean on her 2nd lap but a dab cost her. Fair play to Iris, she kept her nerve to win.

As far as being suprised how much the girls get this is not correct. The top two british ladies who are number 3 and 4 in the world don't get as much help as you think. In the main they cover all their travelling expenses themselves or with family help so increasing the number of events would not be beneficial. After all they have a three round european championship to compete in as well and they and their family / minders etc have to take time off work to cover these trips away as they have full time jobs to help fund trials.

If they were to put the world ladies on the youth sections this would just put a lot of them off and reduce numbers dramatically. Currently they get approx 30 competitors at ladies worlds or euros but I think it would be more like ten if on the youth sections as they are that much harder.

At the moment I think it needs to stay as it is and be allowed to grow before changing much.

Some good valid points there Robin, and interesting the Ladies would find the Youth Sections too tough at the World Championship yet Laia rides the Junior Sections ;) so she is way ahead of the rest.

Don't forget that Dougie was way ahead of the rest at his peak and now we have got Bou and Raga calling the shots with others playing catch up, maybe the Ladies need to raise their game to catch up with Laia.

And before anybody says..................yes she is a fully sponsored rider now, but the hard work and hours practicing was done well before this remember seeing her on Transworld Sport years ago on a Beta, saying she hoped one day to compete with the men at World Championship level?

Seems she achieved her ambition :D

Some good valid points there Robin, and interesting the Ladies would find the Youth Sections too tough at the World Championship yet Laia rides the Junior Sections ;) so she is way ahead of the rest.

Don't forget that Dougie was way ahead of the rest at his peak and now we have got Bou and Raga calling the shots with others playing catch up, maybe the Ladies need to raise their game to catch up with Laia.

And before anybody says..................yes she is a fully sponsored rider now, but the hard work and hours practicing was done well before this remember seeing her on Transworld Sport years ago on a Beta, saying she hoped one day to compete with the men at World Championship level?

Seems she achieved her ambition :D

Not really. She is competing at Junior Level not WTC level. Mind you its is still a fantastic achievement in itself.

I think Robin has really hit the nail on the head - the ability gap between the rider finishing in 1st place or the rider in 30th place is huge, and to upgrade the sections much more would at the moment make the whole thing questionable.

So just to recap the ladies scene looks like:

3 x Euro rounds

3 x World rounds

TDN

Wouldn't want to add much more to that before it becomes difficult to manage or afford would you?

BTW, and slightly off topic, I really did enjoy watching the ladies in the IOM as exactly as Rappers said in his column you could relate to the sections and could admire a good ride. The mens was just as good but for different reasons, but if you haven't seen ladies trials at the top level then make sure you do.

Maybe the Manufactures World Championship should comprise of teams of 3 Open riders, 2 Youth, 2 Juniors and 1 Woman. This way the manufactures would support more riders to some degree and ensure that all manufactures made bikes of various capacities. Toss in a class for over 35 years old while they are at it as this would bring out some past great riders like at the UK round.