Whitlock Bultaco Frame.calling Hamblefield!

alt

I've recently bought a 199 Bult with an aftermarket frame which I thought at first to be a Miller frame circa 78,79.I`m now pretty sure it isn't.Anybody know about Mick Whitlock Bultaco frames?It's not one of Steve Wilsons and I can't think of anybody else who made chrome Bultaco frames in any sort of quantity.

Alt , I have a Miller Hi-Boy frame if you need pics to compaire , I was in the same boat a few weeks ago thought I'd bought some mystery bike and sent images over to Sammy Miller & he confirmed it was a Miller frame [thank god] ...there was a thread i started in the classic pages ...might be some old info there ...any help just holla ..

All best

Greg

Hi,chaps,thanks for your replies-very helpful!

The frame number doesn't have an SM pre-fix and after speaking to Jeff Bungay(Mainly Spanish)who worked for Miller at the time the later 199 frames were being made it was suggested that it might be a Whitehawk frame.Incidently I had a new Hi Boy frame back in 1982 after breaking the front downtube in half,just above the engine mount on my 199A.The back end was much better than the standard set up I recall.I rode it until late 1984,until it seized due to a handfull of revs and the skirt broke off the piston and disapeared into the bottom end,doing allsorts of damage!Julian Wigg bought the wreckage off me,including the frame.Wonder what happened to it?

• 3 weeks later...
Alt , I have a Miller Hi-Boy frame if you need pics to compaire , I was in the same boat a few weeks ago thought I'd bought some mystery bike and sent images over to Sammy Miller & he confirmed it was a Miller frame [thank god] ...there was a thread i started in the classic pages ...might be some old info there ...any help just holla ..

All best

Greg

Just read your comment.

Some time back, I bought what I 'believed' to be a Miller Hi-boy frame for a Honda TL125 (and not a Bultaco) but a standard TL engine will not fit the frame's current engine mountings. As the current mountings appear to be not original I just thought a previous owner had cut out the originals to mount a differently sized engine and it never crossed my mind that it might be that the frame is a Bultaco Hi-boy. I also never thought to contact Sammy Miller (as when I spoke to them recently, they said all their records on the TL hi-boy had been lost). I will e-mail a photo to them with a request but if you could e-mail me a photo of your Bultocao hi-boy frame, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

I've recently bought a 199 Bult with an aftermarket frame which I thought at first to be a Miller frame circa 78,79.I`m now pretty sure it isn't.Anybody know about Mick Whitlock Bultaco frames?It's not one of Steve Wilsons and I can't think of anybody else who made chrome Bultaco frames in any sort of quantity.

Hi

If you can send me a picture of the frame ,I may be able to confirm if it is Whitlock or not.

In reality there where not many Bultaco Whitehawks made,most had two tubes under the motor,

but two/three where made with alloy sump plates,and longer rear loops than a Miller hi boy, (also made by Mick untill the Beamish Suzuki production made it impossible to carry on making miller products)

The last one made,a 325cc ,had an oil carrying top tube that was used as a chain oiler. so if you have this one it is quite easy to spot.

All best

Greg

Just read your comment.

Some time back, I bought what I 'believed' to be a Miller Hi-boy frame for a Honda TL125 (and not a Bultaco) but a standard TL engine will not fit the frame's current engine mountings. As the current mountings appear to be not original I just thought a previous owner had cut out the originals to mount a differently sized engine and it never crossed my mind that it might be that the frame is a Bultaco Hi-boy. I also never thought to contact Sammy Miller (as when I spoke to them recently, they said all their records on the TL hi-boy had been lost). I will e-mail a photo to them with a request but if you could e-mail me a photo of your Bultocao hi-boy frame, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Heres pics of the main Sammy Miller "signature" parts of his Hi-Boy '78 era frames , hope this helps !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36108545@N00/1818087570/

gregs sherpa frame 1

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36108545@N00/1818087592/

gregs sherpa frame 2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36108545@N00/1818087594/

gregs sherpa frame 3

All best

Greg

Hi chaps,dont know what happened to that last post!Anyway thanks for your replies.

Greg,does your frame have an SM prefix to the number as mine does not?Mine is numbered 619.There are subtle differences between it and the photos you posted.The footrest mounting plates are different as are the rear spindle plates.Also the sumpshield on mine has a more curved profile as viewed from the side.Cheers,ALT.

• 3 weeks later...

i would guess the other guys have answered your questions, but if not I will see if we can help, the oldmans memory isn't that good!

but hes still going and still making a few bikes!

Just read your comment.

Heres pics of the main Sammy Miller "signature" parts of his Hi-Boy '78 era frames , hope this helps !

1818087570_2871b871a2.jpg

gregs sherpa frame 1

1818087592_813c736e0c.jpg

gregs sherpa frame 2

1818087594_cc928ad2d2.jpg

gregs sherpa frame 3

All best

Greg

That'll save folks from having to look at that horrible Flickr...

Hamblefield,thanks for your reply,I will be in touch at a later date,when I get some photo's sorted.

your best bet is to take some pictures of the bike without the tank on as it is alot easier to identify the frame around the gussett area!

look forward to seeing some pictures

JW

• 8 years later...