Removing And Fitting Tyres?

tombo46

Need some new tyres so going to get some michelin X11's (for road) however im not sure of the best way to remove them and re-fit the new ones?

I see lots of topics about fitting the rear tyre but dont fully understand what people are talking about! Is there a guide anywhere on the internet that can help?

I dont mind spending a bit of money on the right tools to make the job easier.

Thanks in advance!

Tom

Tom, the easiest way is to call in at your local bikes shop or tyre depot and get them to put the tyres on for you. As they won't need balancing for a trials bike, they'll probably only charge you a few pounds.

People will tell you that you can fit a tubless rear with a foot pump, but to stand any real chance you need a compressor as a foot pump provides so little air it is reluctant to get the bead to seat on the rim.

Fronts are easier, with patience you can get a front on without tyre levers which can cause punctures in the tube.

Remember to tighten the security clamp and check that the brakes work before you ride off.

Let us know how you get on.

Yep Scorpa 3 is right there, if you dont have the right equipment like a bead breaker, it can be a struggle. If you do decide to have a go, check

out the Sherco website and they have a maintenance manual showing an example how to fit a tyre for trials bikes. I had a new tyre fitted recently and cost ten pounds in labour.

Just get onto a reputable motorcyle garage and they will sort it for you.

Yep, got to agree so far. If you've never tried doing it yourself before, its always best to watch someone else do it a couple of times. Then you'll know exactly what needs to be done and you can ask lots of questions like 'If I were to do this myself, what tools would I need.....' etc

I had a new tyre fitted recently and cost ten pounds in labour

Strewth ! Must of been Quick Fit at that price ??? :guinness:

Yep, got to agree so far. If you've never tried doing it yourself before, its always best to watch someone else do it a couple of times. Then you'll know exactly what needs to be done and you can ask lots of questions like 'If I were to do this myself, what tools would I need.....' etc
I had a new tyre fitted recently and cost ten pounds in labour

Strewth ! Must of been Quick Fit at that price ??? :guinness:

No just a motorcylce firm, i wouldn't take it to a car tyre fitters!! For a tenner you cant argue they have all the equipment and thats the key ,

youd never do it with just tyre leavers. As i said earlier the sherco website has some good info, and you can buy the bead breaker aswell.

Edited by WRC

Its definatly easier to watch somene else do it.But if you want to do it yourself,you need a beadbreaker,or a big vice.Grip the tyre in the vice close to the rim,rock the wheel to and fro and the bead wiil eventually come off,then use tyre leavers to get tyre off.I`ve done it this way a few times myself.

I would say you definatley need a compressor to fit the new tyre.

Edited by dabomb

Thanks for the info everyone, Ive had a chat with the local bike shop and they said they will fit the rear for me for 15 quid, ive had a looksy at the ones ive got on and it looks like I already have a road legal michelin on the front so only need the rear =]

may ask them if they mind me watching to see how its done.

Cheers

Tom

sorry for this to sound dumb but what stops the air coming out of the spokes every bike ive had (be it old ones) has always had an innertube.

The 'rim tape', if it ain't leaking - don't touch it as they can be a right ******* to fit properly :guinness:

sorry for this to sound dumb but what stops the air coming out of the spokes every bike ive had (be it old ones) has always had an innertube.

The 'rim tape', if it ain't leaking - don't touch it as they can be a right ******* to fit properly :guinness:

Yes, I disturbed mine and it's never sealed properly again. (See old thread on this very subject)

The old (BlackandDecker) is one of the best bead breakers, apart of course from a proper one, there's always the front car wheel but watch those rims!!!!!

Compressors over here in Aus are around $100bucks 40pounds "god bless the chinese" and ive had mine for 3 years and used it for everything bar brain surgary (can't find the right attatchment)

Use a rubber doughnut for fitting a new tyre and you'll never have a sealing problem again.

Takes about 10-15mins to remove wheel, replace tyre and refit wheel, how thats about 60 pounds an hour, perhaps its time to move back hometo the mother country.