Sammy Miller Hi-boy Frame For The Tl125

yam 22

This is a request for information about the Hi-boy frames produced by Sammy Miller for the TL125. I would really appreciate it if there's anyone out there who owns one, could please contact me?

I managed to buy a Hi-boy frame some time ago but it was not in great shape ..... the original chrome coating was poor and the engine mountings have either been adapted or cut out (presumably to accommodate a different engine at some point?). I want to make replica brackets to accommodate a TL125 engine so if anyone can suggest a good web site or any owner could e-mail some close up photos or dimensions of the correct mountings, this would be really appreciated. Also missing from my frame were all the loose accessories (side stand, chain tensioner, etc) so any details on these would also be useful.

On a more general note, I have had real difficulty finiding any information about the Hi-boy frames which Sammy Miller produced. I have searched the internet, books and the Sammy Miller shop / musuem. On the internet I've only found about 5 / 6 photos but nothing written. In books, I've only found the single photograph in 'Four stroke finale' but with minimal description. Sammy Miller was good enough to speak to me but said all their information, records, jigs, etc were lost in a fire!

From the photos I've found, it appears the Hi-boy design did evolve during it's production run. If anyone knows where written information exists on the subject of Hi-boy design ........ (i.e. when did production start / end, how do you date the frame, what design modifications were made, what was the extent of the specific frame package, how much did it sell for, etc,) ..... then I would appreciate any leads. If this information has not yet been written up but still exists out there then, although I'm no real author, I'd be happy to write this up for inclusion on the internet (Trials Central, TL125 Homepage, etc) if anyone with useful bits of information could forwarded them to me.

Thanks again.

cor you dont want much!!! i ran a tl125 miller hi boy frame for many years i used a cg 125 engine in mine much better than the ohc engine i big bored it cost me a lot of money to do,i had to resleve barrel bore out crankcases but was worth it,if you want to make engine brackets best to put in engine line up chain and sprockets and weld up your own brackets. now next thing miller also made hi boy frame for bultaco,make sure you have got correct frame.many years ago i bought a bultaco hi boy without engine,so i modified it for a honda 185 twin engine with open exhausts it got used by lots of people for trials and had a crowd of people following bike round when ridden,i got offered money for it by half a dozen people in the end i sold it and never saw it again hope its not the one you got as engine brackets got sawn of.i seem to remember the side stands on both bikes were hopeless half way along the swinging arm so they proberly got thrown away.richard

Thanks for your reply Richard and sorry for asking too much. You could be right and maybe mine is for a Bultaco ? I like TLs so jumped at the chance to buy this Hi-boy frame without really knowing much about them. There's so little information on the internet about hi-boys for either Honda or Bultaco. Are there major differences between the two frames which you could suggest ? My standard TL airbox, seat & tank all fit this frame perfectly using lugs and holes which all look original although my fork yokes are not not a good fit. Thanks again.

the yokes are shorter: the under side is to be cut off and rewelded

Thanks for the advice.

Is the part that you say needs to be 'cut off' / cut down .... the threaded central tube rising vertically up from the bottom yoke ? If so, it's a bit beyond my abilities and I'll need to find a local engineer.

As you sound a lot more knowlegable on this framethan me, could I ask you a few more questions:

1) Are there many other modifications that will be required as 'standard' ?

2) Do you know of any way to distinguish between a Hi-boy for a Honda and that for the Bultaco ?

3) Did the design of the Honda Hi-boy change during it's production run (as the few photos on the internet and in the book 'Four Stroke Finale' that claim to be of Honda Hi-boys do vary in detail).

Thanks again.

Dennis,

Many thanks for the information and for the time you've taken. Also a big thank you to Erik for the details he's also sent.

I'll wait a little time to see what information I can gather then if there's sufficient, I'll try and package it in a suitable format to put it on the internet. Thank you again.

• 4 weeks later...

Regarding your request for info on Hi Boy frames, I have both TL150 and Bultaco HiBoy framed bikes. The Honda frame Im quite familiar with, the Bultaco I saw on ebay recently and had to get it for curiosity's sake. Ive not stripped the bike down yet but feel free to contact me and I'll answer what questions I can. email me at alhj58@aol.com

This is a request for information about the Hi-boy frames produced by Sammy Miller for the TL125. I would really appreciate it if there's anyone out there who owns one, could please contact me?

Hi

As previously posted on here by "LARRY" theres a TL125 Hi-Boy for sale on the USA ebay at the moment.... Item number: 230195193430, maybe a good lead to drop an email to the present and future owner for information...

Simon

• 11 years later...

An old thread I know, but anyone have one?

The bike in the pictures below is a 125.  Currently for sale on E.bay  It has the lovely chromed High-boy frame.

The bike I have is similar.  However, it has the Sammy Miller 150cc conversion.

Mine also has a shorter frame loop, that goes over rear mudguard.  Mine is 4.5 inches shorter than the one in the picture.  The loop ends directly over the top of the silencer bolt.

I am just starting a total restoration.  I will post some pictures shortly.

honda tl 125 left.jpg

Honda TL 125 right pic.jpg

honda tl 125 right.jpg

honda tl125 left.jpg

Edited by stpauls
added photos
  • Like 1