Converting B40wd To Trail.

igotknobblies

• 3 weeks later...

Any information on frame geometry, different forks, wheels, sources of parts etc would be of help in this project. Its got a V5 and I want to use it. Not for show. Green laning and the odd club event for fun.

Thanks in advance,

IGK

Hi, The B40 WD machine is the basis of a very good trail/green laner, it has a good frame and suspension. I did most of the road & "off road" testing of the prototype machine in 1964/5, at the FVRDE, (fighting vehicle and research establishment) in Bagshot, and used it with some success in the Welsh 3 day, and the ISDT in East Germany, (winning a Gold medal). The only difference between my ISDT bike and the Std WD model was I was allowed by Brian Martin, ( BSA competition manager) and Bert Perigo ( BSA chief development engineer) to remove the fully enclosed chain guard, fit special internal damping units inside the front forks, fit a mx cam shaft, cylinder head, and Amal Monobloc carb, the original carb was a prototype Amal "butterfly" type that had more flat spots than a threepenny bit, ( anybody remember thoes !). The best part of the "WD" contract for BSA was the parts & spares contract, in financial terms it was worth far more that the machines, so I should imagine that there are still lots of bit's and pieces out there for them. Enjoy your bike. regards, Slinny, ( Pat)

Many thanks Slinny and Charlie P.

Bike is coming on slowly. It was a non runner when I got it and I'm doing a full engine rebuild. Rebored and Higher (8.25:1) comp piston. New Big/little/main bearings, valves, guides etc. I am reassembling it. Inlet valve had 'pocketed' due to too many re-grinds so now have a bigger 'Victor' valve to help her breathe. Amal concentric is fitted (as recieved) but it probably had a monobloc as standard. I hope to get it back on the road as 'standard' but not particularly 'restored' as opposed to 'useable' condition. From there on I shall try to lighten her and replace steel with ally where possible...... oil tank, petrol tank, mud guards, wheel rims, centre stand off and folding steel footpegs (oh, and a hooter that doesn't weigh a kilo!). This should lose up to about 25Lb. Fitted drive sprocket was 21 tooth. Standard is 18 and trials 13 so she would have been somewhat long legged for road use. I'm getting a 17 toother which should be ok for green laning and the odd event. I'll post piccies when I get somewhere near running. If anyone hears of a rear wheel and brake assembly for a Tiger cub or even just hub and brake, I can get laced with an ally rim. It would be a better set up than the rather heavy quick release rear wheel that is fitted.

Cheers,

IGK