Wheelies

jack_h

hey all,

at the moment im learning to wheelie/lift the front.

I can get the wheel off the ground so high by compressing the forks, then leaning back and hitting the throttle though in a trial this technique isn't to good.

I have been told there is another method which involves using the clutch, leaning back and 'blipping' the throttle. Would someone please explain to me how to do it?

thanks

Jack H

Practice up hill Jack. Even on the flat though you really should be able to sit on the rear mudguard, slip the clutch a little and bring the front wheel up. Cover the rear brake with your right foot and you can dab it if you get up too far.

Practicing up hill lets you get away with a lower point of balance because the hill slows your forward momentum. Also means your wheel drops quicker when you take the revs off.

• Like 1

Wheelies are something that require practice, practice and maybe some more practice!

Start on flat level ground and just have the bike pottering along in 3rd gear, don't do 1st or 2nd to begin, 3rd or even 4th will be more controllable to start with.

Whilst the bike is just rolling along, just off the revs, pull in the clutch, give the engine a few more revs and just drop the clutch straight back out. You will find that the front will lift. How high it goes is up to you and how brave you are. Rolling off the throttle will let the front drop, but a quick stab on the back brake will drop the front straight away. Keep practicing untill you get comfortable with the front coming up. It will come up a long way before you hit the balance point. Go beyond that and you'll flip the bike. Best do it with somebody else watching as they will be able to tell you how high the wheel is coming up, but you should be able to get the bars up to your chest if you are standing up straight.

Once you've mastered the technique then try a wheelie in the lower gears and then progress to trying it up a step or over a log or something similiar, slowly of course.

I come from a supermoto and enduro bike background whereby we'd wheelie for ever even in top gear, however trials is all about a slow wheelie, or just a wheelie to get up over an obstacle, so I'm having to learn again!

It really is all about practice though.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

Try this in 1st or 2nd gear...

Starting from a standstill, lean right back with as much weight over the back wheel as possible, hold the rear brake on hard, slip the clutch and use extra revs to prevent a stall, pull on the bars and the bike will rotate around the rear wheel, ease the back brake off and ride away.

It doesn't sound like it would work but it does ;)

• Like 1

Starting from a standstill, lean right back with as much weight over the back wheel as possible, hold the rear brake on hard, slip the clutch and use extra revs to prevent a stall, pull on the bars and the bike will rotate around the rear wheel, ease the back brake off and ride away.

It doesn't sound like it would work but it does ;)

you will have to show me this one Kinell ...... are you going to rough holden on sunday ? first round of beginers & novice trials.......just up your street !!! :)

Edited by PHB

are you going to rough holden on sunday ? first round of beginers & novice trials.......just up your street !!! :)

I should be there with any luck, I reckon you might actually get a finish seeing as the trial is an easier one ;)

I should be there with any luck, I reckon you might actually get a finish seeing as the trial is an easier one ;)

better had finish for a change im setting it out :) ..... better put a couple of harder ones in just for you

Take a couple of flat rocks or 1X4 wood blocks and place them on a small hill about 6ft apart and practice placement of the front wheel from rock to rock. How to pick the front wheel up, blip the motor and dump the clutch in first gear to get the front end up and use clutch and throttle to carry from block to block never letting go of the clutch all the way. When your in a wheelie the clutch is what sets the front end down.

Practice up hill Jack.......

Ok, Good advice, start on a hill Yup im away !! :D

Start on flat level ground and just have the bike pottering along in 3rd gear, don't do 1st or 2nd to begin.......

Errr .. Start on a flat in 3rd gear :) . ..and I was doing so well on the hill :lol: . Ok, try in 3rd on a flat and NO 1st gear... :D

ERRRR.. Try in 1st or 2nd gear! :beer: but he just told me to do 3rd gear on a flat :lol:

.... you could have a few beers first then you will be feeling a lot braver and wheelies are easy.

You are correct and after trying the 3rd gear on the flat and coming off... the pain is more subdued too ;)

I reckon practising up the hill is the easiest :D

• Like 1