Sherco Engine Strip Con..

ham2

Hello TC people...need your help again.

The 2005 manual quotes the mains seal dimensions as 24-40-7 and that's what I have ordered but... I have now stripped the motor and the old ones are 25-40-7.

Can I get away with using my new 24-40-7 seals or is that 1mm too much difference?

Cheers

Wayne

The 2005 manual quotes the mains seal dimensions as 24-40-7 and that's what I have ordered but... I have now stripped the motor and the old ones are 25-40-7.

Can I get away with using my new 24-40-7 seals or is that 1mm too much difference?

Cheers

Wayne

Wayne as I'm an accountant by profession lets look at costs and benefits

Option A

if you use the new seals you have you can rebuild your bike and then need to do quite a lot of work after only 10 mins of riding if the seal leaks

Cost

Edited by Baldilocks

HAM2 Posted Today, 06:56 AM

Cheers

Wayne

Depends,

are the old ones labeled as 25-40-07 or did you measure them to be that size. If measured they may just be worn and that would cause the difference. If they is labeled as such, I would call my friendly Sherco dealer and ask what they suggest.

Wayne as I'm an accountant by profession lets look at costs and benefits

Option A

if you use the new seals you have you can rebuild your bike and then need to do quite a lot of work after only 10 mins of riding if the seal leaks

Cost

Cheers

Wayne

Wayne,

I just completed replacement of main bearings and seals on my '03 290. Not a fun job ! Like you, I had similar difficulty in separating the cases. I found that patience was the key to success on this project. When frustrated, I simply walked away from it - and then came back later with a fresh perspective on things. Glad to say - that despite the difficulties - everything eventually came apart, and went back together as it was supposed to. The engine is now smooth and quiet. It has performed perfectly during my club's just completed season.

Regarding the seals:

I purchased my parts from Ryan Young Products. My receipt shows that the seals are 25/40/7. According to the Sherco parts fiche, the part number is HM032. The price per seal was $9.34 USD.

Good luck with your repair.

Resto

Edited by Resto

Thanks Glen,

I found your latest reply very difficult to concentrate on after I read the SSDT bit, think I blacked out for a mo' but me 'Julie' reckons the laundry 'stains' will come out in the wash.

I was deluding myself with the new seal but I had to ask (ZIPPY-the measurements are on the old seal and the shaft is 25mm).

As for a Sherco dealer(in this country) supplying me with spares, well I can't even get them to answer the phone first(you've also noticed that I'm not in any hurry) .

If you're at home at the minute can I borrow your main seals..I'll give you them back when I've finished with them :thumbup:

Thank you for the cost/benefit analysis..could you not have done me a graph to go with it? :D

Now does anyone out there have Mr. Paxau's contact no. so I can tell him his manual is wrong. B4st4rd :wall:

yes i'm in tonight ham and Ive got the seals here now. they are 25 40 7

Wayne,

I just completed replacement of main bearings and seals on my '03 290. Not a fun job ! Like you, I had similar difficulty in separating the cases. I found that patience was the key to success on this project. When frustrated, I simply walked away from it - and then came back later with a fresh perspective on things. Glad to say - that despite the difficulties - everything eventually came apart, and went back together as it was supposed to. The engine is now smooth and quiet. It has performed perfectly during my club's just completed season.

Regarding the seals:

I purchased my parts from Ryan Young Products. My receipt shows that the seals are 25/40/7. According to the Sherco parts fiche, the part number is HM032. The price per seal was $9.34 USD.

Good luck with your repair.

Resto

Thanks fellas for all your replies...just when I was in the mood to get stuck in... I get a stop on the job!!

So I am sitting here with my craft knife shaving 1mm off the seal............NOT!!!!!

I would go to a bearing factor, I got my main bearings and seals at Force Seven Bearings, Gateshead. They could not do the water pump drive seals though. I would use anyy reputable brand of bearings. The "special" Sherco bearings only lasted 12 months of relativey easy use in my bike!

I would go to a bearing factor, I got my main bearings and seals at Force Seven Bearings, Gateshead. They could not do the water pump drive seals though. I would use anyy reputable brand of bearings. The "special" Sherco bearings only lasted 12 months of relativey easy use in my bike!

Cheers scraggy,

Truth is it's so long ago since I sourced the seals, I can't remember where I got them from ,all I know is that I was at fault for specifying 24-40-7 straight from the manual..doh!

Wayne

Update 19.30hrs.....went to Force 7 after work and picked up 2 new seals...

Edited by HAM2

So you have not said where yu are getting the restof the lot!

Case and cyl gaskets, head o-rings, don't say yu are reusing everything! :wall:

Sorry Mark,

I've posted and E-mailed quite a few times on this topic so I'm not sure what I've mentioned and to whom.

My bike was a 'swishy' 9 months old when I bought it from a local rider who didn't do any national trials,I knew what I was buying and the price was good.

Do you remember my 1st post about water in the airbox when I got it home?? :D

I've been around Shercos enough to know the score with their various attempts at main bearings .

I don't rate the polymide bearings at all.

The new bearings are all SKF (through work)and the seals and gaskets were through splatshop web-site.

As you know I'm a big fan of sorting something via E-mail. :wall:

I didn't disturb the head ,it came off as an assy' with the cylinder jacket ...it wasn't that hard to decarbon in situ'.

I am totally,totally paranoid about cylinder head gaskets,I've never had any luck with them..the last 4 (3 bought new)cars..2 Fords,1 Renault,1Rover ,I've owned all blew their head gaskets.--And how could I forget..1 jetski..in the Gulf :wacko:

Apart from not having the confidence / familiarity to split the cases or wiggle the motor out first time (and me ordering the wrong seals) it's almost been enjoyable.

Saying that ,it's not ready to be fired up so I am not out of the woods yet :thumbup:

Wayne

Edited by HAM2

Sounds like you have a good grip on things then.

Nothing wrong with conventional SKF bearings in my mind, as honestly it is a very conventional 2T motor. Did you get the "C3"?

Once again, I seem to attribute bearing problems with DIRT entering the motor, more than bearing mfg. or design. Although I am sure there is some reasoning behind the factory decisions to use what they do. :thumbup:

Nothing wrong with conventional SKF bearings in my mind, as honestly it is a very conventional 2T motor. Did you get the "C3"?

Once again, I seem to attribute bearing problems with DIRT entering the motor, more than bearing mfg. or design.

Yup, the bearing box had c3 at the end of its size (that's the expansion tolerance/play ,yes??).

Rest assured after all this work I will be making a big effort to keep the crud out...anyhow I only got water in when I washed it.as with all my Shercos???!!!.

Cheers,

Wayne

HAM2 Posted Today, 07:04 AM

Yup, the bearing box had c3 at the end of its size (that's the expansion tolerance/play ,yes??).

Rest assured after all this work I will be making a big effort to keep the crud out...anyhow I only got water in when I washed it.as with all my Shercos???!!!.

Cheers,

Wayne

I only get water in mine when my bike and I go for a swim in a Canadian stream. :thumbup:

Was quite refreshing. :wall: