Oset 12.5 And 16.0 Prep Tips

juanroberts

GRIPS:

I cut the grips off and replaced them with a bicycle inner tubes so my daughter could get her hands around it. I used an oil quart cap duct taped over the accelerator end for protection, and tied the inner tube into a knot on the left side, with cut tassles for my daughter's enjoyment of course. This also keeps dirt out of the throttle tube.

GOVERNOR ACCESS:

I used a heat shrinkwrap tube over the governor to extend is out because I kept losing the small screwdrivers, did not want them in my pocket while I chased my kids, messed up the dial by turning too hard, etc. Ian sent me one for free, Ian at OSET provides AAA service, hands down. Someone else mentioned the cap next to the key may be removed for hand access also.

OSET 16.0 BATTERY:

It is reportedly bigger than on the 12.5, but it seems to run out of power faster. I have not tested this hypothesis which was also raised by lastplacebrad: http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/index....5259&st=15# Ian's newsletter suggests that the wire connecting the two batteries on the 16.0 may not be thick enough on some of the 16.0's. You can check it against the other cable wires, it should be as thick, and not thinner. My daughter is 4 and can ride up and down hills for hours with no problem. However, when I ride, I am always pegged and drain the battery in about an hour.

OSET 16.0 Brakes:

I changed the front disk for a new one (identical to bicycle specifications and cost as little as $10). That was plenty, but because the front caliper adapter is similar to my Specialized Enduro 2005 mountain bike, I then got a 205mm (larger) rotor, caliper, and adapter. As a result, I can make the 16.0 come to a complete stop from full speed in less than a bike length. Stoppies are too easy now.

TIRE SLIP

Because the OSET does not have rimlocks, I often find the valve stem is angled instead of popping out perpendicular to the rim. I put talcum powder on the inner tube, sanded the tire bead, and sanded the inside of the rim's edge.

FOOTPEGS:

I used bungee cord to make sure the footpegs snap back. I am looking into possible foot-activated brake pedals that may be welded on.

POSSIBLE ADDITIONAL MOD:

I am tempted to get lighter and longer-lasting Li-Ion batteries, but they run at about $400. Here is a possible for the 16.0:

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?Page...amp;ProdID=3327

Edited by juanroberts

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! Lots of tips but I'm thinking you like to tinker a little too much :wall:

I like the tube over the potentiometer idea, it was a pain in the a*** trying to find the screw head at first. I fixed the foot peg problem with good old superglue, it was never a problem on the small bike but the bigger bike had slacker pegs for some reason.

I'm looking at replacing the tyres with some Creepy Crawlers as the rear spins up too easy, all that raw power! :thumbup:

OSET 16.0 Brakes:

I changed the front disk for a new one (identical to bicycle specifications and cost as little as $10). That was plenty, but because the front caliper adapter is similar to my Specialized Enduro 2005 mountain bike, I then got a 205mm (larger) rotor, caliper, and adapter. As a result, I can make the 16.0 come to a complete stop from full speed in less than a bike length. Stoppies are too easy now.

Just picked up a 16.0 for the Grand kiddies . :wall: Second hand ,but in good shape . put it on the bench to give it a once over and was a bit puzzled that the rotor just sorta woobles around the splined hub ? Is there no retainer or just the way it is ? Didn't come with a manual (have to get one ) . I was wondering about the'Dead Zone ' throttle too . All in all , a Cool Tool . :thumbup: Anxious to do some schooling with the tykes , but "visiting hours" don't always permit .

Kinell,

where exactly did you apply the superglue and what is it expected to do? The bungees I mentioned were attached to the footpegs on one side, and the bottom of the opposite forward frame tube on the other, making an "X" under the skidplate. There are there so the footpegs snap back and do not stick in an upright position. Both my our 12.5 and 16.0 had footpegs that pivot out of the way when they hit something when it forward motion, a good thing because a foot can get caught in between both. If a pivoting footpeg does not snap back after having been pushed out of the way, then my kids would try to put their feet down and not find a footpeg there, a potentially dangerous situation. Grownup dirtbikes with pivoting footpegs come with a spring that makes them snap back. The OSETs do not have a spring on the footpeg. Where can you get the Creepy Crawlers in the OSET rim sizes? Thanks.

Scott,

Congratulations on finding an aftermarket 16.0. I recommed leaving it at home so you can ride it, and then that way you get more grankid visits!

I was not impressed with the performance of the stock rotor. I would not hesitate to go to a bicycle shop and buy a new one the same size. It is the best investment you can make. It should not cost more than $35, or $10 online from http://www.blueskycycling.com but then you have to add shipping to that. Install the rotor bolts by using a cross-pattern but you may find that the hub itself may be warped or crooked, and if so, then you may just have to bend the rotor into alignment with your fingers by using a marker or screwdriver to detect the wobble as the wheel spins. A very tiny wobble is OK since this is not a bicycle. I used locktite on the two bolts that hold the caliper, and after tightening them, loosened them by one turn so the caliper was free to float. This was on a larger aftermarket rotor and caliper with adapter which said to do so on the instructions, I am not sure if that would work on the stock version. I forgot to mention I had to hammer a dent in the fork when installing my larger rotor so that it would fit with room to spare.

On a separate note, I noticed that the stock bolts holding the rotor did not stick to a magnet and were very light compared to the replacement ones that came with the new rotor, so I wonder what the heck they are made out of. They were not aluminum, maybe titanium?

Edited by juanroberts

Kinell,

where exactly did you apply the superglue and what is it expected to do?

Where can you get the Creepy Crawlers in the OSET rim sizes? Thanks.

I squirted a tube of superglue on the inside of the brackets to lock the pegs in place, not ideal but better than free pivoting. I'm still looking for the tyres but not having much luck yet...

OSET has the best service and prices I have seen. That said, I am providing links to additional products that may complement OSET products.

OSET has the most inexpensive and best-suited trials tires:

http://www.osetbikes.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?...ory_Code=prts12

Great tires but out of stock:

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=35786

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=35787

Two very aggressive MX tires, but do the 12's fit?

http://www.tiresunlimited.com/images/Innov...va-3203-blk.jpg

http://www.tiresunlimited.com/images/Innov...va-3202-blk.jpg

http://www.tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20TIRES/...a_3202_3203.htm

Parts for pocket bikes such as sprockets, which may or may not actually fit:

http://www.electricscooterparts.com/sprockets.html#25

These guys seem to have the same trials tire as OSET OEM, and is more expensive. The also sell solid urethane tires:

http://www.electricscooterparts.com/tires.html

• 2 months later...
POSSIBLE ADDITIONAL MOD:

I am tempted to get lighter and longer-lasting Li-Ion batteries, but they run at about $400. Here is a possible for the 16.0:

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?Page...amp;ProdID=3327

So did you ever follow up on this? My eight-year-old daughter won the state Junior championship on her 16.0 for '07. Now she's moving up to Beginner class on a Sherco 0.5. The OSET just didn't have the battery capacity to handle the regular loop around the sections. I'm looking to upgrade to Li-Ion batteries and your post is the first I've stumbled on. While the point is now moot for my 8 yr old, she's got 4 yr old twin brother and sister behind her. The boy feels it start to tip over and starts to cry. Que macho! He'll be on training wheels for a long time, I'm afraid. The 4yo girl is riding a 12.0 without training wheels and doing quite well. She'll be ready for the 16.0 in a year or so. She wants to go ArenaCross racing because she likes to go fast... :thumbup:

I have looked into the Li-Ion and Lipo batteries for the Oset's because I am an Oset dealer. Most of my reserach has been done at a RC Car racing forum. Lipo batteries are pretty common there. They provide more power, better battery life and lighterweight. Only problem is they are prone to catch fire or explode. The must be in a protective metal case. I was turned off quite a bit with the info that I found so I eventually gave up. I may look into it again because I have had a few customers ask about it. I'll post more info that I have later.

I have looked into the Li-Ion and Lipo batteries for the Oset's because I am an Oset dealer. Most of my reserach has been done at a RC Car racing forum. Lipo batteries are pretty common there. They provide more power, better battery life and lighterweight. Only problem is they are prone to catch fire or explode. The must be in a protective metal case. I was turned off quite a bit with the info that I found so I eventually gave up. I may look into it again because I have had a few customers ask about it. I'll post more info that I have later.

Thanks for the reply. I learned about a company called A123 (http://www.a123systems.com/#/home/hev) that is supposedly working on safer Li-Ion batteries but I understand they are really expensive, and I didn't get a response from the company because I was an end consumer, not a wholesale customer.

• 1 month later...

Another area we found some improvement in was the front brake caliper. A good cable lube was done on the front brake cable and brake caliper was

tore apart and greased. Lever also. I also thru a old pair of Vans brake shows onto the caliper, they are softer than the stock pads.

My 3 year old just wasn't strong enough to really pull the lever in hard enough to really get the caliper to grap.

The lubing and the softer pads seemed to stop better with the same amount of energy applied to the lever compared to stock pads.

I am sure any bicycle stop can set you up with a soft set of caliper brake pads for around $5-$8

• 2 weeks later...

My 5 yr old has the 16.0. The suspension both front and rear is very hard it doesn't move when he's riding and i can't see any adjustment to the front? He rides using the front brake all the time because its easily to pull in and the rear brake isn't that sharp, i'd like to reverse this as he's come off a couple of times grabbing the front brake to sharply. Battery life is an issue and i'll have a look at the cable thickness. The standard tyres are not that good but he's not riding in comps so i'll wait until they are worn out. He likes to ride sitting but he hates standing up anyone have any encouragement tips?

Edited by spud

I have not looked into the front suspension but it should not be too difficult to reduce the spring tention or even grind some of the outer diameter of the springs to change the tension. Ian had mentioned that you can use a lighter spring from the smaller bike on the rear shock. I guess it is a bit shorter as well.

For the rear brake there are 2 return springs. It only needs 1. I took off the long round spring that goes around the cable and it is much easier to pull. I should also lube the cables but have not got around to it.

So far getting my son to stand is also not easy. What has had the best effect is pointing out how everyone else stands up all the time. It seems when he is comfortable he stands up. I don't push it since I want it to be fun and when he is ready he will stand. Peer pressure is great for encouraging changes, since I don't want to spend all my time correcting him.

They are great little bikes!

Mark

I can tell you are all a bunch of cool dads, not forcing your kids, etc. Standing is very hard for kids to get, I agree. I have yet to find something that works, but consistent with Mark, I often refer to Oliver and how HE is always standing. Standing is a concept that even grown ups have difficulty with, until monkeybutt sets in.

Ridenm, in terms of dropping the training wheels, try taking the pedals off a bicycle, in addition to the training wheels. Then take your son for a 15-minute paddle-ride, on two separate days (kids have short attention spans). That should help engrain his sense of balance.

I heard that a larger motor may work, such as a 36V 1000W motor and a 100amp Navitas TSP100 36 controller. The controller itself can give the existing 16.0 plenty of power, I have been told. The NiMH batteries can catch fire; and no news on whether the A123 Li-Ions work, although they are the only ones that reportedly can put out enough amps.

For the rear brake there are 2 return springs. It only needs 1. I took off the long round spring that goes around the cable and it is much easier to pull. I should also lube the cables but have not got around to it.

So far getting my son to stand is also not easy. What has had the best effect is pointing out how everyone else stands up all the time. It seems when he is comfortable he stands up. I don't push it since I want it to be fun and when he is ready he will stand. Peer pressure is great for encouraging changes, since I don't want to spend all my time correcting him.

Good tip about the rear brake, I'll try that as my lad has quite big hands but struggles with the rear brake (he wants to skid the back wheel!)

I remind him to stand up by saying "Dougie never sits down" :rotfl:

I removed the spring from the rear brake and he's using the brake a lot more trying to do skids. He stands up a little but more so when i get my own trials bike out to copy me. We got a puncher in the front tyre today, a thorn (not that big) went straight through the tyre. The tyres are very soft you don't need levers to get them off and they're like bicycle tyres which you can almost fold up and put in a box like ordinary bicycles tyres are sold nowadays. Its a shame there's not a better (more robust) tyre around, I did see the above links to tyres but they are MX tyres and may cause a few problems with over stricked scrutineers, so any further tyres suggestions? I don't feel the brakes need upgrading he only weigh's 3.5 stone and the bike stops okay, the chain sometimes comes off, it does come off too many times it keeps stretching and need constant adjustment, although bearing in mind the bike is ridden in woods and over small tree roots along tracks and not on grass fields. The battery cable between the two batteries is same diameter as the neg and pos cables so nothing i can do there to improve battery life. I still think the front suspension is to hard i'm 14.5 stone and even with my weight it requires me to push down to get any movement from the front end and my son only weigh's 3.5 stone.

Edited by spud