Bultaco 199 One Finger Clutch Operation.

alt

Guest THEDavidBaker
You can achieve a one finger clutch operation by fitting a complete motocross clutch. This contains more plates and therefore you can back off the spring tension immensely.

Do not shorten the clutch arm otherwise the clutch will drag. I did this successfully on my 340 Bultaco with great success.

CORRECTION - Do not LENGTHEN the clutch arm. I blame my secretary entirely for giving the wrong info as this was an obvious mistake and she should have spotted it!

If Carlsberg made a trials bike it would be a BETA 200.

CORRECTION - Do not LENGTHEN the clutch arm. I blame my secretary entirely for giving the wrong info as this was an obvious mistake and she should have spotted it!

If Carlsberg made a trials bike it would be a BETA 200.

Every bultaco Ive had has the long arm on the clutch never caused drag ever.

are you saying the beta 200 is the best bike ever?

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone who's interested I've managed to do it by using Barnett friction plates and taking the trouble to set things up as John Collins suggested in one of his posts.There is no slip and no drag and the "bite" point is in just the right place relative to the position of the clutch lever.I did however need to leave out a friction plate and a drive plate because the Barnett plates are a lot thicker than standard.Cheers ,ALT.

For anyone who's interested I've managed to do it by using Barnett friction plates and taking the trouble to set things up as John Collins suggested in one of his posts.There is no slip and no drag and the "bite" point is in just the right place relative to the position of the clutch lever.I did however need to leave out a friction plate and a drive plate because the Barnett plates are a lot thicker than standard.Cheers ,ALT.

Do you have the link to his post handy?

Hi DadDab, close to home!

I'll have to take out the carb to do that, was a long time ago that I fitted the carb and reed block, took me 11 hours to fabricate the manifold so that it would all fit together proper like. I used to run the 28mm Keihin on my 321 and used standard Gas Gas supplied jets/slide except I prefer a GJH needle. Only mod needed for the Bultaco was to solder up the main jet and drill out to 1.00mm. Very hard to get any jets at all over here (NZ). I also spent ages with a Dremmel grinding out the transfer port area in the crankcase mouth to match the widened port area in the bottom of the cylinder, got the idea looking closer at a 330 Gas Gas cylinder. That 330 and the Bultaco had identical exhaust port heights and opening time for the transfers, just the 330 had far wider transfer area, something that I tried to emulate on the Bult - I'd say that it was perhaps a minor improvement - need more experimentation time!

Will strip out the carb over the hols, needs a clean anyway, and advise the jets/slide, needle position.

Remember to fit an inline fuel filter.

Ta ta, PeterB.

Hi SwooshDave,If you just type in John Collins in the search facility provided on this site,you can scroll through his many posts.Thats how I found the info.Hope this helps ,cheers,ALT.

I know I could have done that but I'm sure he has close to a quintillion posts by now and I was hoping that someone had the info bookmarked.

Yes, I'm officially lazy. Needless to say, if I find it I'll post the link here.

Here's the one writeup I did find from penno350.

Dunno if it's the same one as you did.

Edited by swooshdave

I have noted that no-one seems to have tried the Bultaco clutch modification from Hansjorg Pfahler in Germany. Web site is www.bultaco.de and if you google that name you get the English translation of the site

I have had Bultaco Kit No 1 on my M199A for over 2 years now and highly recommend it -genuine 2 finger operation.

He may have changed the way he does things, but the kit includes new springs and fibre plates ( Honda I think ) and re-machining your aluminium clutch basket. You also swap the aluminium clutch cover for the older type steel type and run Fuchs non-synthtic oil. New rod length is required.

Initial setup can be a pain, as the instructions are non-existant, but if you follow John Sutton`s instructions ( I actually went to the hassle of trueing the plates with a dial guage ) you get a 2 finger operation and no slippage or creep. Gear selection into neutral after stopping is as good as my Sherco.

Price is now around E194 but it made such a difference its worth every cent. Anyway, if you have a twinshocker which has been restored or modified you dont ask how much it costs, and you don`t tell your wife-they just don`t understand