The Forums Have About Talked Me Out Of Getting A Bike

ridgrunr

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree, i had one of those and it was nothing but trouble, but a friend of mine had one and it was great, no problem at all.

i changed mine and bought something else , that was good but up to a degree, i mean i had to do some stuff on it work wise , but all things being equal, it was far better.

however, i saw a guy at a trial last week and had the other one ,and he loved it and said that it had been no bother at all, apart from the breakdowns and the frame crack, it was the worst bike he'd ever owned.

so in summary, i would , but others might not, that said, they probably will and everyone gets a ride!!

nuff said? :D

i agree, i had one of those and it was nothing but trouble, but a friend of mine had one and it was great, no problem at all.

i changed mine and bought something else , that was good but up to a degree, i mean i had to do some stuff on it work wise , but all things being equal, it was far better.

however, i saw a guy at a trial last week and had the other one ,and he loved it and said that it had been no bother at all, apart from the breakdowns and the frame crack, it was the worst bike he'd ever owned.

so in summary, i would , but others might not, that said, they probably will and everyone gets a ride!!

nuff said? :D

Huh? Something must have been left out crossing the Atlantic.

Edit:Read it a second time and got a good chuckle out of it.

Edited by motofire

Chris:

He has had two trials now on the GG125 (race model) so far and the transition has been seemless. He is riding better already on the new bike and says he cant feel any difference in the weight. Beautiful little motor!!! Once we get his actual 08 model I can go through it and make some mods to suspension that will better suit his 85lbs weight! :D

Steve

Steve, what is a "race model" does that mean the Raga Rep goodies?

And Chris, reading the reports of the more agressive 4T with the Kiehin, I have been hesitant as I have not had a chance to ride one.

How would you compare to a standard 2.9? You may want to open another thread on this! Give us a report! :D

Edited by copemech

For the money you get a top of-the-line, state-of-the-art competition machine. The fact that you may have to do a little tweaking every few months is pretty amazing. Buy it, ride it and enjoy. You're only going this way once. Besides if you buy a new bike you'll want to spend more time riding then reading the silliness on the forums.

Dan

Well said Dan, my only other thought about this was that, yes i know i have a scorpa so im a bit biased, he could buy a long ride SY250 2t(as from his description he is doing a bit of trail riding) and zip the motor up a bit by moving the stator plate.

The only place that Scorpas look scabby quick is on the frame where your boots rub and that is easily solved by using that real thick sticky carbon look stuff!

My two cents worth!!

I agree that getting a bike is the way to go. All bikes have their little idiosyncrasies and problems. Choose the one you like the best and go with it. I have found that trials bikes seem to hold up well. I bought an 07 Beta and the only minor issue is the mudguard wears a hole in it, this is not really a big deal at all. All you tend to hear about in forums is the people having bike issues, there are always going to be bikes with problems. Trials bikes are produced in relatively low volume and designed for a niche market.

If your finances deem that you can afford a new bike get a new bike, as to which one?

If you read the forums there are heeps of things wrong with Beta's followed by GasGas's then Sherco's this may be because more people own these bikes, therefore more people write about these bikes, more people don't maintain these bikes properly leading to more people writing crap things about these bikes..........etc:etc:etc:

Therefore the Scorpa TYS range is the bestest bikes in the whole godamm world because nobody writes bad things about them and only praise is heard in the Scorpas Forum, this has nothing to do with the lack of numbers sold of course.

For every satisfied rider there is an equally unsatisfied rider, who either bourght a lemon, dosn't maintain their bike, or falls of large rocks with great abandon!!!!!!!!

Now your confused!!!

If it would help I could write you all about Scorpa problems. Up till last year the US Importer was in my back yard and happens to be a good friend. This set up a situation of Scorpas being the most popular bike in our District which is not very common anywhere else you might ride.

Im not saying there is anything wrong with the brand but there are reasons I ride Beta now.

Aaron

Any new modern trials bike will hold up in accordance to 2 things:

1. How well preventative maintenence is done. IE cleaning, greasing, lubing, etc. etc.

2. How much abuse is given to it. This is mildly subjective due to some totaly nutty riders (this is a good thing)

For this example classes are from easiest to hardest...........Novice...Intermediate....Expert.

For example: Rider A is riding the Intermediate class, has exactly the ability needed to be in the top three week after week. Does not crash often and when Rider A does it is only minor. Rider A is not "pushing" themselves.

Rider B is riding Expert class but has the ability for Novice, this guy is a total nutter. Throws himself and bike at everything. Really "pushing" himself, huge crashes.

Now no matter what brand of bike I guarentee that Rider A will have a bike that lasts alot longer than Rider B.

In short if you have access to try all the brands, try them out and buy the one that fits your style of riding and budget.

My 2 cents

Rider B is riding Expert class but has the ability for Novice, this guy is a total nutter. Throws himself and bike at everything. Really "pushing" himself, huge crashes.

ring any bells? :D

Edited by hovis

If you read any forum about any item (Trials bikes included) you will often find more negative comments than positive. The negatives represent a small minority of the community that experience the reported problems.

I ride a 250cc '03 Sherco. Yes it's got good points and bad. The good points are that mine is reliable if maintained, as with everything. :D The bad points are the rider!!!!!! :D

If it would help I could write you all about Scorpa problems. Up till last year the US Importer was in my back yard and happens to be a good friend. This set up a situation of Scorpas being the most popular bike in our District which is not very common anywhere else you might ride.

Im not saying there is anything wrong with the brand but there are reasons I ride Beta now.

Aaron

I would be interested to hear what problems Scorpa's have as I believe they have no consistent problems unlike Betas where you always hear about stator problems especially before 06.

Oh have they fixed the carby problem yet or are they still leaking all over the environment .

Scorpa's would have to be the most user friendly bike out. Both in riding and maintenance.

Maybe the reason you ride Beta now is you like doing alot of work on your bike?

Im not here to bash on Scorpas. I would ride one if you gave it to me. If you dont think they have had any problems you must live in a box. I have seen the stack of rear shocks laying on the shelf that have self destructed.

You also sound like a guy who has heard about Betas but have no real experience with one. Anytime you would like to do a simple carb cleaning on a Scorpa, time yourself, the Beta can be done in under 5 minutes. Takes that long to get to the Scorpa carb.

Beta carb problems, I have none. Stator problems, I have changed one in the last 8 years of Betas I have owned. Within my family there has been 16 Revs and one stator failure.

I would be the last person to say the Beta is the perfect bike. I think they all have there good points and bad points. Seeing as how I get to wrench on all of them I feel pretty confident in my knowledge. Beta is second to none in quality and performance.

Aaron