One For The Bsa Boys.

alt

I have in my possesion a C15 that I bought in bits (and I mean bits!).I obtained it from an ex BSA employee.The bike had passed through the hands of a number BSA employees before him.The chap I bought it off trialed it in the early to mid sixties.However,he used to ride it to work and whilst doing so had an altercation with a car which resulted in,amongst other things,a bent frame.This of course required a strip down for repairs and while the engine was out it was completely dismantled,Alpha Bearings did the crank in readiness for the rebuild.The frame repair didn't go well however and because of this he lost interest and never rebuilt the motor.Basically the bike stayed in a million bits until I bought it four or five years ago.I've since nearly finished it.Now for the interesting bit,if anybody is still reading this!When I went to see the pile of bits I was under the impression that I was going to see a C15T.It turned out to be a C15S.(Yes I'm aware that the trials frame had an S pre-fix).The motor is a scrambles unit ,C15S pre-fix,it has a scrambles big valve head and cam but had a trials gear cluster!Must have been interesting in the sections!

I have the old buff logbook which shows that the BSA factory was the first registered keeper and that it duly passed through BSA employees hands.The chap I bought it off could shed no light on things.

Why would the Factory road register a scrambler and why would a scrambles motor be fitted with trials gears?Any thoughts?

Don't you have to register Trials bikes in the UK in case you have to go on a public roadway between sections? I'll bet some factory rider was going to use the bike for something like the 6 Day. Probably figured the Scrambler engine would give him a bit more zip. Be interesting to know if the bike ever was ridden in the 6 Day (or some other big national event).

Alan

Don't you have to register Trials bikes in the UK in case you have to go on a public roadway between sections? I'll bet some factory rider was going to use the bike for something like the 6 Day. Probably figured the Scrambler engine would give him a bit more zip. Be interesting to know if the bike ever was ridden in the 6 Day (or some other big national event).

Alan

It would be nice to think that someone well known rode it but there are no CD pre-fixes to the frame or engine numbers.The most likely thing,perhaps, is that it was built and used as some kind of test "hack"and then sold off to someone who worked at BSA.Whatever ,it's still a nice thing to own.I will put a close ratio cluster in it,put lights on it and use it as a trail bike.Cheers,Alt.