Tlr Front Suspension

xtzoutback

G'day

I'm about to start a complete rebuild of a TLR200 and would like any advice regarding the front suspension.

I changed the seals last year after purchasing the bike. I also replaced the oil (there are no leaks) but the fork action is very harsh especially when dropping the front end after clearing logs or rocks.

I have a manual but it's very basic. What is the correct spring rate and length. Should I be looking at new springs, different oil levels, viscosity etc. Any comments welcomed.

Cheers

Sid

As far as I know it's not a reflex, it was imported to Oz from Japan, 1983 model, red and blue. I got hold of a reflex manual thinking they were the same and I reckon the oil levels, fork diameter etc are different. When I refilled the forks they had the oil level as recommended for the reflex which may be part of the reason the front end is harsh. Does that help ??

Hi, according to the genuine honda manual the TLR200 should be

spring free length - 508.7mm (20.03in)

fork oil capacity - 295+/- 2.5cc

front fork air pressure - 0-39kpa (0-5.69psi)

oil level - 118mm from top of tube to top of oil level

using Auto Transmission fluid

hope this helps

Gary

• Like 1

Simple way to check whether or not it has 'reflex' forks.

Measure Diameter

TLR200 = 35mm

Reflex = 33mm

TLR250 = 35mm but they are different from 200 in that they have more travel - they have different dampers (and I think springs from memory)

Gordon

• 2 months later...

Hi Sid & all....

What happened in the end using the new oil level measurment of 118mm instead of the Reflex 145mm did it make any differences.

The reason I ask is the symptoms that you described seem the same as the 200 TLR I've just got, the re-bound and damping is absolutely crap, the only way I've been able improve it was to charge the fork with a little bit of air via the valves, but doing this has made one of the forks weep oil from the seal (both forks have new seals and the fork chrome is like new)

.....Does anyone know of any TIPS to improve the re-bound & damping action on a 200...?

Would using spacers under the caps/spring help ($2 coins here are the exact size for doing this), how much of a differences would this really make..?

Higher/Lower fork fluid levels...?

Stretch the springs...?

I also have a 250 TLR, I know the front forks are different to the 200 but the suspension on that is brilliant standard front forks and Falcon rear shocks, combined they are really positive in the way you can push your weight down onto the foot pegs and she will drop down and then will immediately rise straight back up in such a dampened controlled way, anybody with a 250 will know what I mean hopefully.... Just wish the 200 could be the same...

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 250TLR

I have a Reflex so do not know if this applies. The Reflex comes with progressively wound fork springs. If you cut off the tightly wound end and use a longer spacer the fork action improves dramatically. I set mine up with 3/4" of spring preload and raised the oil level about 3/8". The forks do not bottom, spring right up and no longer have that wallowing feel after going over a big log.

G'day all

Just updating everyone on this subject.

Oil levels have been changed and a workshop manual has been ordered.

I got side tracked and decided to strip the rear end of the bike, complete bare metal job on the swingarm and ancilliary parts, new parts ordered, partially put back together and so as yet the improvements to the front end have not been tested. Our season starts again around easter here in Australia so i'll send a report shortly.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.