Hopping

How long did it take?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. How long did it take you to learn to hop?

• Just got on the bike and it came natural like
    • Took about 6 months
    • About a year
    • Two years or more
    • Couldn't be a***d

Does anyone else have trouble keeping foot on back brake to get front end round?

Or am I just being a big girl again.

I dont know if its because im not on the rear brake solid enough, but my rear end does tend to roll backwards, I usually compensate for it with the clutch, but not always got the engine on when im trying to hop.

still cant hop for toffee, If there was toffee involved maybe I would have more insentive....

Tom

I dont know if its because im not on the rear brake solid enough, but my rear end does tend to roll backwards,

Usually I practice hopping the front in the garage 'cause I don't need the motor to practice it. Even with the back brake on hard the bike goes backwards. Not a lot. Two reasons I think, firstly the wheel rotates slightly even though the brake is on (there's a lot of leverage involved here) or, secondly, the tyre skids across the (smooth) garage floor. I don't have the same problem on tar so it's probably the second reason.

Coldcake. Everytime I get on the bike my right foot goes straight on the lever. Just habit. Naturally I lift off as I ride off.

Hopping came easy to me i just told the wife i was out for the following 3 sundays. :)

I began on the flat marking out a figure of eight to use both turning circles. 1st make it tight but rideable no hops to ensure clutch and throttle control. 2nd step is to tighten the figure of eight up and use front end hops finding the technic you like ie physical or clutch and throttle blipping. 3rd step is hardest to do, the rear. Me and my mates now ride gasser`s and wind the pre load right off to make it liverly on return which results in touch front brake, preload rear then sort off jump up and forward. Bingo over the handle bars.

My mates son had some lessons and was told to rev the bike quite hard to gain blance if require as it acts like a giroscope. Ive tired this and does seem to work to.

Oh well must hop along season`s greetings :closedeyes:

Edited by smalley250

Yo tim,

I never read so many funny responses, that was good subject to bring out some humour.

Tombo 46 and coldcake - Make sure the rear brake actuates early on, don't let the lever operate too low down or your foot hangs too low.

Swooshdave - I know exactly what you mean about those Bultaco kickstarts, especially on a 325 with the ign advanced, kicking back and cracking yer knee on the clutch mount bracket on the bars, or, letting your foot slip off the kickstart and have it swing back and kill yer calf muscle. Lots of fun!

Hope you can get it right in a section now Tim, can't wait till the New Year practice.

Ta ta, PeterB.

A story about the infamous Bulto kickback. When I were nowt but little lad, the South African Bulto importer offered a ride on the latest pursang to his sponsor (Hang Ten at the time) but suggested I start the bike. The Hang Ten guy was less than impressed and commented as much. "No" said Bunny. "He knows what he's doing. There's a knack to it and he knows it". So I give this pursang the usual right legged boot. And it kicked back, slamming my knee into my fingers. It started and was I going to let this pillock know I was in agony? Was I b*****ks.

Edited by TooFastTim

I like watching good young riders hop around the rock then when they are perfectly lined up for the step let the clutch out hit the step ad collect 5 marks!! Then I feel really good as I drag my bike round like a mad spider for only 3 marks ( another 3 marks!!!) :thumbup:B)

How about the you tube video of Raga (can't find the link now) doing a rock section with the front forks out! Now that's what you call hopping!

To all those people who say they can hop, how many of you can do it in a section without actually stopping and 'supposedly' getting a five?

• 1 month later...

I tried the hopping thing, but just don't seem to have the balance after I land and usually end up taking a lot more dabs. Maybe at 53 I'm too old to figure it out!

I've noticed that the guys who can really do it well can make it work in a section. Everyone else usually ends up taking more dabs than they would have if they'd just taken a "planned dab".

If you watch the guys who can hop good, they usually only take one, vrs everyone else who is hopping around the section like they are on a pogo stick and end up dabbing any way.

So I just figure out where I'll need it, and take a "planned dab". I usually get less points that way.

RR, IKB, I think that is very possibly the case when a rider starts to use hopping in the real world. But as that rider becomes more proficient and the sections favour hopping that rider will begin to pull ahead of more traditional riders.

The sections around here (Auckland, Hamilton, Taraunga, New Zealand) can be ridden traditionally, but if you can hop it helps you onto a better line. Get your hopping right and you'll have an advantage.

• 1 month later...

well to be honest (i put cant be a****d) i havent learnt yet.

my old bike was an 01 beta 250cc weighin 73kg. had trouble getting that thing out the garage let alone hopping it.

My new bike is perfect but still cant hop properly. i can move the front around an inch at a time on flat ground and then lose balance after about 5 hops. cant move the front atall in sections.

The back i havent even tried yet.

any help?

jamie