G'day From Brisbane Australia

twinshock

Hi

I'm an ex Midland Centre rider from the 60's and 70's disappearing to Australia in 1980.

Still riding in trials although I've slowed down a bit after a hip replacement a few weeks ago.

I heard a name mentioned the other day on this website (I think) and would love to hear from him and a few others who were around in those days. As the Galpin brothers, Mike and Roger we used to ride BSA's with the Slinn brothers and the Winwood brothers and it was Pat Slinn who was mentined. My dad, Eric, used to know Reg Slinn and whatever happened to Alan Wright, Scott Ellis, Mick Bowers, Dick Hearn, Pat Brittain and a host of other top Midland centre riders. Chris Leighfield is over here in Aus and we keep in touch and I bumped into Bob Haines, Bill Price John Richardson and a few others when I was in the UK last year.

What happened to the Sutton Town Motor Cycle Club and do they still run the Midland Centre group trial series.

So many questions but probably few answers.

Oh well it would be nice to hear from anyone who remembers some of those names.

I have become a Fantic fanatic over the last few years and now own a 200, 240 and a 305 so I would love to talk Fantics with any other enthusiasts.

C Ya

Roger (Twinshock) Galpin

Hi Roger,

Such alovely suprise to hear fom you, I have often wondered where you and many others had got to !. I heard from Chris Leighfield only today, it is so good to find out where people are. I have not seen Mick Bowers for many years, 30 ! but I believe that he has lost non of his old magic, I am led to believe that he now "trials" a machine with a BSA B25 engine. I have no idea where Scott is, but I would think that Mick is in contact with him. I have recently finished restoring my 1964 something C15 ish. 3 years ago I had a new right knee, last May a repair job on my right hand and thumb, and in july a new left hip, I find kickstarting the C15 "difficult" it is does not go on the 2nd kick I have to leave it for a week for my knee to recover !!!. Fitting a PVL ignition system has helped the starting. I often speak to Peter Kirby who has built a lovely C15, he keeps me informed about a few people. Fred Barlow( BSA comp shop engine builder) died a few years ago, and I saw Mick Clinch at his funeral, I believe he has an aray of BSA trials & scrambles machines but does not use any of them. Ross Winwood is about, I am trying to contact him at the moment, I think he has been running the post office in a cotswold village. I hear nothing about Mick. My twin brother Mike died of a stroke 3 years ago, I really do miss him. in the late sixtys BSA sent me to work with their importers in Germany, and I left my C15 in his care, he used it in many trials in the Chepstow area, and when I returned from Germany it was "well worn", I did a quick rebuild (only cosmetic) on it and rode it in the Peak district area. I then joined Sports motor cycles in Manchester an dstayed with them untill they closed in 82 ish!. I then joined Ducati and was responsible for building Tony Rutters F1 & F2 Ducati machines, and we won 4 F2 world championships. It was not untill I left Ducati that I had time to look at my C15, from looking at it and thinking about it, it was many years before I seriously started to think of a total rebuild. And then I worked for a company and I spent a lot of time in europe and other parts of the world. If I can manage it I will try to pst a picture of my bike on this site.

Keep in touch.

Regards, Pat Slinn, ( Slinny)

Hi Pat

Fantastic to hear from you. Very sorry to hear about Mike, I'll bet you miss him badly. I lost my brother Mike back in 1988 when he was 46 to a heart attack so I know how you feel.

Also lost dad many years ago 1978 but mom is still alive living in Castle Bromwich, she's 92 now, drives, smokes and drinks how about your parents ?

When I first arrived in Australia I got up the the top A grade in trials but over the years slowed down till I have been riding a Tiger Cub in Classic class along with Chris Leighfield but he always beat me in the Aussie titles, we got 1st and 2nd one year. My left hip told me that I couldn't keep going so I had a resurfacing op 6 weeks ago and its really good now.

I bought a Beta and enjoyed myself on that for a while but still had the twinshock bug and John Richardson got me into the Fantics, I now have a 200, 240 and a nice 305

What do you think about my Fantic fetish.

Can you contact me on rogerg@cooldrive.com.au

Look forward to hearing from you again

Regards

Rog