Honda Cr500

boner

Anyone out there ever owned / riden a Honda CR500?

Thinking of buying an early one to restore and have some fun on.

Any tips, stories etc. that might prove helpful?

Cheers - Matt.

Ive had my CR5 (motard) for 6 years now I bought it as a mxer and converted it myself. CR5's are a brilliant bike and endlessly tunable. Easy to maintain and to work on. Parts are easily available and quite cheap compared to KX500 bits. Loads of power and very torquey. The older ones are a bit more peaky.

If you have trouble starting it then there is something wrong, probably just carb settings but if its been stood for a long while then the rubber crank seals can go perished and thats a big job.

I highly recomend them but i am slightly biased

post-5332-1198401933.jpg

Crikey - that picture was life-size!!!

Nice bike though, you've done some serious work on that puppy!

I'm kinda toying with the idea of picking up an old'un and restoring it back to stock Honda trim - for that mid eighties look. Might have to pick up some supermotos for a bit of a grin too!

Had some lads motox'ing in a field near ours today, went to watch with my lad and his friend looked great fun! They were all on 125s and 250s... all laughed when I said I was toying with the idea of a CR500! Wishing me good luck getting it started! - We're / are they really THAT bad???

Cheers - Matt.

Crikey - that picture was life-size!!!

Nice bike though, you've done some serious work on that puppy!

I'm kinda toying with the idea of picking up an old'un and restoring it back to stock Honda trim - for that mid eighties look. Might have to pick up some supermotos for a bit of a grin too!

Had some lads motox'ing in a field near ours today, went to watch with my lad and his friend looked great fun! They were all on 125s and 250s... all laughed when I said I was toying with the idea of a CR500! Wishing me good luck getting it started! - We're / are they really THAT bad???

Cheers - Matt.

Thanks hop blip, its a 1997 but the engine is a mix of 97 and 89 parts as the 89's had more power.

Yes Boner they have a terrible reputation but if you know "how" to start them its quite simple. First trick is when they are cold lean the bike over until a bit of fuel leaks out of the carb. Then you give it two ladies kicks just to get the fuel through. Then choke on and one or two mans kicks WITH NO THROTTLE and it should fire into life and start annoying the neighbours. In 6 years ive only once not been able to start it after i flooded and stalled it pulling stoppies.

There are web pages that give detailed instructions and even how to videos!

Merry christmas

Marcus

Reminds me of the old XT500 where you had to lean it to both sides, give it a couple of girlie kicks, get the silver disc in the window, say three hail mary's, put one hand on your head, give it ten monster kicks, then bump start the ****in thing :rolleyes:

Reminds me of the old XT500 where you had to lean it to both sides, give it a couple of girlie kicks, get the silver disc in the window, say three hail mary's, put one hand on your head, give it ten monster kicks, then bump start the ****in thing :rolleyes:

Didnt the XT500 have a decompression lever? My mate has a SR500 (same engine) and that has one. You dont have to lean it over but you do need to girlie kick it then get the thing in the window, mess about with the lever then one stout kick and its away.

I start the CR easily and im not a big bloke. 5'7 and 13 stone. Mine is ported so the decompression scollops in the exhaust port have been removed but if you get a standard one that has them then that makes it easier too. You just have to be committed.

I've got a KTM 640 Supermoto at the moment and when I see most bikes I've either had one, had simlar, or just plain never been interested (goldwings/harleys spring to mind).

But....I think I could get used to that CR500 - looks neat.

The KTM is a bit of a bugger to kick, not helped by being a left hand kickstart. It's a big old cylinder to turn over, but....thankfully, it's electric start (if you catch it right before the battery goes).

I've got a KTM 640 Supermoto at the moment and when I see most bikes I've either had one, had simlar, or just plain never been interested (goldwings/harleys spring to mind).

But....I think I could get used to that CR500 - looks neat.

The KTM is a bit of a bugger to kick, not helped by being a left hand kickstart. It's a big old cylinder to turn over, but....thankfully, it's electric start (if you catch it right before the battery goes).

Thanks. I enjoy riding it more than any other bike ive had. You can pick up a basic conversion for about

• 2 months later...

NICE CR!

almost finished mne in motox trim,hope to get some 17 inch wheels and bits later once i get a run on this thing,never ridden 1 b4!

DSC_0156.jpg

DSC_0163.jpg

DSC_0169.jpg

DSC_0176.jpg

Nice.

Is that a 93?

Good luck getting the seat cover fitted, Mine was a real swine to do.

If your in the u.k. Talon engineering are the place for having 17" rims fitted to your hubs (costs about

aye no panic on wheeels hopefully some of the guys over here wil ahve a set lying around,as for the seatcover someone owes me a favour and just happens to be a pro upholsterer,so might have to call in the favour lol,cause i aint makin a B*****ks of it