The One-armed Trials Rider

bwc352

I was watching one of my trialstv dvds (2002 Volume 2 to be precise) and when I got to the "Crash and Burn" vintage section I again marveled at how great the one-armed guy rode. The video was from about 1994. For those of you who haven't seen it, his arm was amputated above the left elbow. It looked like he had both the clutch and brake levers mounted on the right bar, and had a leather loop attached to his left bar to apparently help him pull the bike around. It was truly impressive. Next time I blame my poor riding on a tweaked wrist or thumb, I'll keep him in mind. Anyway, the reason I'm posting is I'm wondering if anyone knows who he was. I'd be interested in knowing who he was and where he rode, etc., and if he's still around, salute him (I hope that doesn't sound too corny!).

His name is Dave Jackson and he is from Dist 4 up here in NY.Not sure what he into now he is a great guy.He is always looking for something new and exciting to try.I no he raced jet skis for a while and last I new he was into mx racing.he could pick a good line in the sections.And he rode many nationals.Saw him take some nasty crashes to.I will have to ask around and see how he doing these days.Later JR

His name is Dave Jackson and he is from Dist 4 up here in NY.Not sure what he into now he is a great guy.He is always looking for something new and exciting to try.I no he raced jet skis for a while and last I new he was into mx racing.he could pick a good line in the sections.And he rode many nationals.Saw him take some nasty crashes to.I will have to ask around and see how he doing these days.Later JR

He came out to California to ride a National we put on and was even more impressive in person. Great guy to talk to.

Jon

He came out to California to ride a National we put on and was even more impressive in person. Great guy to talk to.

Jon

Jon, speaking of that, where is our one footed friend? Someone needs to call his sorry ass to find out! He is a good rider too! :thumbup:

Jon, speaking of that, where is our one footed friend? Someone needs to call his sorry ass to find out! He is a good rider too! :thumbup:

He and his wife are heavy into dual-sport riding and taking a break from the Trials scene (he was mentioned in the last issue of "Ride Oklahoma" magazine in one of the articles). I told Chris that he'd be back some time and we'll welcome him with open arms. When I came back into Trials in the 80's after a short break, a old Trials friend told me: "Whaaaal, Jon ole buddy, it's nice to see ya back. I done tole ya that riding Trials is kinda like smoking ceegars and riding Ducati's.....ya may giv'em up for a while, but sooner or later, you'll always be back......"

Jon

Here in England we have a blind trials rider, rides solo on a Beamish Suzuki, there has also been several blind sidecar passengers, and at least one, one legged, sidecar driver, and not forgetting an one armed enduro rider. Also we have a number of brainless people, these can usually be identified by asking silly questions, petrol/oil ratio, how much oil in forks etc, so we here in england, keep an eye out for them, stand to attention, salute them and if we can remember it...sing the national athem.

Man i remember Dave as a kid. He could ride up the straightest walls with no fear. I also remember catching his bike one time at the bottom of the hill. I was in line waiting to ride and i heard something to my left and here comes his bike hunting me down like a cheeta on a stray deer. I remember seeing him at Unadilla back in the late 90's. He actually remembered me at the time. Great guy.

Here is a video of him Dave Jackson

He would never give up no matter what.

--Biff

Dear Mr. Studious ,

It has been ....well, ...many Moons since I have confided in your vast and infinite wisdom .

With all and many apologies , I humbly submit that if you ever happen to cross paths with the " One Legged One " !! .....!

Tell him to "GIVE ME A FRIGGIN CALL "!... please :D

Yer Bud,

JT

Dear Mr. Studious ,

It has been ....well, ...many Moons since I have confided in your vast and infinite wisdom .

With all and many apologies , I humbly submit that if you ever happen to cross paths with the " One Legged One " !! .....!

Tell him to "GIVE ME A FRIGGIN CALL "!... please :huh:

Yer Bud,

JT

? :D ? Whaaaa???

I have dreams of checkers with no fingers and no ability to count.....

--Biff

Thanks for all the info. That MX video was great. It's too bad there's no video of him doing trials on youtube or putfile. The logs that he jumped on the trialstv video were at least as impressive as the jumps on the putfile MX video. It's too bad most of you can't get to watch him doing trials. Maybe if anyone has any video of him, they can upload it. Thanks again!

I know for a fact that Dave was a hero of Ray Peters, who mentioned him often. I mentioned this in a prior post, but you ain't seen nuttin till you try to follow Ray up a rocky creek section at TTC, using one hand! When most cannot do it with two!

It is a humbling experience that teaches proper body positioning at all times as well as proper foot control, takes LOTS of practice!

Try it, small logs, curbs, rocks, see how far you get! Of course you have to start out with the one handed figure eights while blindfolded and a beer in the other hand! Save the beer! :D

If I can do it, well?