Vito Or Transporter Or ?

cg125

I went for a T4 recently....old banger. Very little rust and seems to be built really well. Strong following for advice on T4forum. Loads of bits available to "tart it up"

normally not used by builders so rare to find one full of cement dust...mainly electricians, chippys and Trials riders own them !!

Don;t be put off the 1.9 normally aspirated or turbo. I've heard they are a more reliable engine than the 5 cyl 2.4. I ended up with a 2.0 petrol...which I converted to lpg....now costs less to run than a diesel....

check out the t4forum website before you choose.....it'll convince you a t4 is the way to go...

Ive had both vito is better.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone got any fuel figures for a 112 vito?

I have a 2001 Vito 112,is perfect size for two bikes and all your gear,and they drive like a car,plus mine has done 190,000!!!

But i must admit they are not that good on the old diesel i feel?

I get 500 miles to a tank,75 litres,abd thats if i drive at below 70 on motorway which is allot of my drivin to and from trials,and drivin it so the turbo does not kick in round town.

If i drive with my heavy boots on,90 on motorway and quick town drivin i get 430miles to a tank!

Anyone else monitored there Vito MPG??

Benz

T4 isn't great on diesel either. Reckon I usually get about 33 - 34 mpg with my van. It's acceptable considering the size of the van but with fuel prices increasing all the time it makes me think twice about driving long distances in it. I am however Scottish and as tight as a gnatts chaff.

Anyone got any views on Vivaro,Primastar or Traffic??

Fuel and reliability?

Benz

As posted earlier i have 2.0 115bhp lwb primastar, computer tells me its doing 35mpg,two bikes and two people 115mph is flat out.As for reliability my mate has had an 05 1.9 primastar from new,yesterday it went for its mot and 1st ever service since leaving the showroom, has never missed a beat,although mechanic did say he never saw filters clogged like it!second primastar i've had, cant fault it.

Ive had both vito is better.

You are entitled to your opinion....however wrong it is..!! ;-)

I have to admit I haven't driven a vito for any distance....but I have drivers who didn't like the driving position. Fitting a new clutch in a Vito means dropping the hole front end. Our vitos were always going wrong (ecu problems ) we had to disconnect the battery to re set the ecu !!

The AA used to have Vitos but dropped them quickly and went for T4's

So assuming we are talking about a Van 7-10 years old I believe the T4 is better as it is cheaper to run, better built and as I said before it has a large following which gives the user better information and cheaper parts.

Please note I think the new Vito might well be better than a T5...New Vito is RWD and our T5 certainly had problems.

You are entitled to your opinion....however wrong it is..!! ;-)

I have to admit I haven't driven a vito for any distance....but I have drivers who didn't like the driving position. Fitting a new clutch in a Vito means dropping the hole front end. Our vitos were always going wrong (ecu problems ) we had to disconnect the battery to re set the ecu !!

The AA used to have Vitos but dropped them quickly and went for T4's

So assuming we are talking about a Van 7-10 years old I believe the T4 is better as it is cheaper to run, better built and as I said before it has a large following which gives the user better information and cheaper parts.

Please note I think the new Vito might well be better than a T5...New Vito is RWD and our T5 certainly had problems.

Funny how opininons differ but here goes.

I have done about 220k in mk 1 vitos 113 and two 112's excellent vans never had a clutch in any of them. Think the t4 I had did 80k and was A1 as well. Vito was like a breath of fresh air much nicer to drive, but guess you could get a late high powered t4 and it could be better. I think the build quality was comparable. 108 vitos may be a different thing again, guess you are talking about those?

Vitos mk 2 all have rear wheel drive which put me off at first, along with the foot hand brake.

Whether its better than a t5 I can't tell yet but first impressions are good.

My T5 has 63k and been 99% reliable and fault free. am I just lucky?

i am about to purchase a T5 and keen on the 130 model has anyone tried the 104 bhp 1900cc model if they have what is the performance like and mpg is it much better on fuel than the 5 cylinder version ? have owned a T4 van r reg 2400cc model for 5 years good solid van and no problems with it just a bit thirsty 28 - 30 mpg. thanks for any info on T5

i am about to purchase a T5 and keen on the 130 model has anyone tried the 104 bhp 1900cc model if they have what is the performance like and mpg is it much better on fuel than the 5 cylinder version ? have owned a T4 van r reg 2400cc model for 5 years good solid van and no problems with it just a bit thirsty 28 - 30 mpg. thanks for any info on T5

My partner at work has a 108 t5 03 and its been good, performance is not brill but its been 100% reliable and only consumables. If you can get a 174 the performance difference is startling.

Doubt you will get more than 30 from a 108 t5 and you tend to work a less powerful engine anyway. Cruising speed is ok though.

If you need a bit more space in theback?

post-7-1204359127.jpg

post-7-1204359214.jpg

Edited by Nigel Dabster

• 2 months later...

After looking at various options I ended up buying a very nice six seat LWB T4. Way cheaper than a decent Vito or a T5, and (fingers crossed!) less to go wrong.

Wasn't really planning on a LWB, but it does mean I can easily get a couple of bikes in without messing about with the back seats. It's a bit of a squeeze in some car parks, but doesn't seem too bad so far.