Slimming Down A 4rt!

benz19

to slim a 4rt down is hard without spending money. What exactly do you want as regards slimming her down? I put mitani exhaust system on which is the dogs b******, that slims here down but is costly, i presume you take the lights off and that. Cannot really think or suggest any more.

You gotta remeber the 4rt is a bit fatter than other bikes but i presume you did your research before purchasing, or like an ever increasing band of people turning 4 stroke you were just mesmerized by her sexy looks.style. :thumbup:

Bet you cannot guess what bike i ride.lol.

Just as the previous scribe said, the only way to trim her waistline is to spend money.... buying carbon bits, titanium bolts, doing a works job on rear wheel, fitting ally billet footrests and hangers, exhaust, small flat tank and a few more minor things may save you some weight but you can't turn a 4rt into a super lightweight GasGas. None of it is going to be cheap either!! You're looking at hundreds of pounds to save a couple of kilos.

I have just bought an 08 4rt and i think i can hop it just as easy as a gas gas. I have had to change the way i do it slightly i.e. instead of hopping the back purely through my legs i blip the throttle and clutch for a split second on the up bounce.

Are you a hop and skip kind of rider. If your not just enjoy th bike for what it is. It's never going to be a gas gas.

As the others said above its a hell of a lot of money to reduce the weight by such a small amount.

Thanks for your suggestions guys!

I do realise that there is not allot of weight to be shed without splashin the cash,and as im quite new to trials i dont think the weight is gona make a hell of allot of diff??

Just makes you realise who far off the standard Monts are when you read that Bou's bike is around 65kilos!!!! Oh for and endless budget and the access to exotic materials!!

Benz

Thanks for your suggestions guys!

I do realise that there is not allot of weight to be shed without splashin the cash,and as im quite new to trials i dont think the weight is gona make a hell of allot of diff??

Just makes you realise who far off the standard Monts are when you read that Bou's bike is around 65kilos!!!! Oh for and endless budget and the access to exotic materials!!

Benz

Think they were talking 50k a bike.

Think they were talking 50k a bike.

Small change to HRC,i used to ride Honda Britain backed road race bikes and know just how much money they chuck at road racing,trials must seem like peanuts compaired to MOTO GP!!

Hi all,i have a 4rt and want to put her on a diet!!!!

Anyone got any good tips to shed a few kilos of the old fat lass with out braking the bank???

Cheers

Benz

[/quote...........................buy a set of titanium footpegs that are moved back and lowwered a bit .....then that will necessitate you removing the kick stand .......lotta weight saving there ..............................mitani pipe is a abit lighter .............................massso

ive saved 4 kilos easily! 44k still to spend

Hi Munch,

4KG is a fair chunk of weight to have saved easily, what were the main components you have changed? Has anyone tried the Future trials Ergal fork bridge and steering stem?

As I am in the flyweight class the bike is still heavier than me but a huge improvement over a 350 AJS!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi benz19,

I wouldn't get too obsessed with "relatively" small amounts of mass.

I myself used to be and a mate of my put it into perfect perspective when he

suggested that maybe I should just have a crap before a trial rather than after.

Another thing he said, which at first sounds rediculous, was go on a diet.

If you're carrying any extra weight, it's easier to get it off you, rather than

the bike. And it's cheaper!

Tom

Hi benz19,

I wouldn't get too obsessed with "relatively" small amounts of mass.

I myself used to be and a mate of my put it into perfect perspective when he

suggested that maybe I should just have a crap before a trial rather than after.

Another thing he said, which at first sounds rediculous, was go on a diet.

If you're carrying any extra weight, it's easier to get it off you, rather than

the bike. And it's cheaper!

Tom

Yep theres some sence in those words....

Ok and staying with that, why then do people tend to give the reason that they buy a gasser is cos they are light and manouverable??

Is it easier to bunny hop a 25lb mtb or a 4rt?? Also which is easier to flick round 360', the answer is really yup you could lose weight but... as long as you are fully flexible then there is no need to be superlight as it is you who are trying to move the bike, not the bike you!

Yep, this bike weight nonsense really does have too much emphasis put on it. Just because you shave a few kilos off your bike doesn't mean you are going to ride it any better. It may make a difference at WTC level yes, but normal club/centre trials no.

Bernie Schreiber could bunny hop a 340 Bultaco weighing 95 kilos(?) over about 14 people. How many club/centre riders could do that on Raga's super lightweight indoor bike at say 65 kilos?

He could also clean sections on the 340 that club riders could only dream about cleaning on a new bike. So a weight saving of around 30 kilos doesn't help much there then.....

It's the rider, not whether your bike weighs a few kilkos less