Bike Rack On Golk Mk V

boofont

New car on the way, Golf Mk V, has anyone used a rack? Just wondering if the towbar comes up high enough to bring the rack away from the bumper (as the bumper is quite big) so that the bike sits away from the back of the car. Also, I use a bit of flat rope out of the boot of my Vectra that I tye around the forks to pull the bike in close to the car, is there scope to do this on a Golf?

I just picked up a 'Ultimate MX Hauler', which inserts into the tow hitch receiver. It uses a small hydraulic jack to lift, holds the bike up nice and high, , and also well back of the car. Check out http://www.ultimatemxhauler.com/

for more info. The only peculiarity, especially for trials bikes, is the rear fender becomes quite a wing when at highway speeds. I've been removing the rear fender for any distance road trip. Other than that, it holds the bike VERY solid, and is designed for a much heavier bike than my GasGas.

Best of luck,

Damon.

If you used something like that where the bike was so far off the car the lever effect on the Golf would be unsafe. Best to keep the bike as close as you can to the car to minimize the leverage effect on the car.

damonb,

That won't work on a UK tow bar as we don't have the square section protruding from the car. Don't bother removing your fender, use a strap like this one and fasten through to your wheel with a twist in between the wheel and fender.tie_downs.jpg

Oh well, best of luck then. I'm curious to see how it works for you.

Myself- I was basically stuck between keeping my car, or having to get a truck. I'm not too worried about the handling, as two adults in the back seat weigh more than the bike. Although the car can now pull a nice wheelie!

-damon