Ahhh Smell Of Castrol R...

boner

I have this pint bottle of Blendzall #485 bottle states it contains 1/3 racing castor lube, claims! allows higher compression ratios, prevents pre ignition and detonation, blends perfectly with all fuel-no seperation.

Premotes quick cold weather starting, no additional oil required for two cycles.

Usage!! 2 cycle 1 pint to 1 gallon, 4 cycle 1 pint to 3-4 gallon, 2 cycle auto lube 1 pint to 4 gallon.

I add a couple of 0Z to a can of gas for the four banger now and again, that is plenty to get the wiff circulating the woods, but 1 pint/ gal for two bangers would get a bit spendy, have you tried speed stick deoderant :shutup:

Note!! if you do use castor, for some reason every one in the woods can smell it bar the man using it.

Edited by Ishy

Boner - just like Marky Boy says... just run the 747 straight up. Mix it like you would your regular oil 80:1 or whatever. 747 smells enough like the the old bean oil to fool everyone (but it doesn't gum everything up like Castrol R did). As much as I like the smell of Castrol 747, I don't like waiting in line behind some guy running the stuff though.

Hi Guy's

Hi Boner.

Way back then,

We used to pour some Castrol R into a frying pan on the old stove and let it bubble away as we watched old early films on a projector of the TT in the IOM. Now that was Living.

Regards Charlie.

Yeh - i remember a story of a minibus that used to take hairy ar

There must be something about the R smell. Even the Wife stops and does a "bisto" advert when ever a bike comes past running on it or the modern alternative.

Did a few years supporting nephew and family friend with the spanners at kart racing. Somebody is definitely producing a modern R smelling lube as 30 2 stroke karts hitting full throttle after a slow lap before a rolling start creates one of the biggest R smelling 2 stroke clouds you can imagine. Who cares about getting the best vantage spot to see the racing, just make sure you are standing down wind of the start straight.

Let me know what the best suggestion is on the replacement R front. Got to be worth a cup full every now and then in the 4rt

I do run my matchless on 'R' and put a capfull into the lawnmower petrol - it takes the edge of mowing the lawn :D

OTH... the Matchless I can understand, but the lawnmower!? ;) Does Mrs. OTH know that you get up to this sort of perverse activity??? :thumbup:

Big John

I have no experience with the Castrol 747 but do know that if you use Castor oil (Castrol R40) as the pre-mix oil in your two-stroke trials bike, the carbon formed on the piston crown and in the head will form very quickly and be extremely hard. To remove it will require emery tape/grinder rather than the usual wiping with a 3M scouring pad that removes the carbon formed when using modern oils.

Another consideration is that switching from one type of two-stroke premix oil to another without washing out the motor internals can cause accellerated wear rates until all the old oil has worked its way out of the engine.

The concentration of Castor oil used as an upper cylinder lube or odour agent in the fuel for a 4 stroke should be kept much lower than what you would use in two stroke premix - mainly to avoid causing carbon buildup in the exhaust ports and valve/s.

This smell takes me straight back to racing in the 80's with North Glos at the likes of Keevil, Castle Combe, Staverton and Colerne, lining up in the holding area with TZ's and old classics, it was one of the best parts of racing in those days.

I also remember that there was a Silkolene oil that gave a similar whiff with YPVS, RD-LC's and RG250's.

Now-a-days I use Ipone in my Sherco as does may mate, every now and then the woods are full of the same R smell and it comes from my mates bike and yet we are using the same oil? Mine smells mildly of Strawberries, his more often than not smells of R. It makes me very jealous.

Reading this thread tells me 3 things:

One of the oil comanies need to be stamping all over this and making an oil that has that smell.

Someone should come up with an aftershave. 'AAAR' the smell of oily men. :thumbup:

I need to get some R for the lawnmower, nice tip ;)

Hi Guy's

Ishy as much as I love the smell of the stuff, I would never put any in the petrol of a four stroke that had the engine runing on Mineral or synthetic oil as the combination of the two oils coming in to contact with each other will quickly gum up the rings ETC, or do a lot more damage. If you think at all about using a castor based oil in any engine, it must be when it as been striped and thoroughly cleaned out of any traces of mineral or any other type of oil.

It's up to you,I used to spoil my own party's?

Regards Charlie.