Higher Bars

bigfive

Yeah i put 20mm risers on my gasser and now i cant live with out them. especially when im 6ft 3. Mine are REP rissers which i think is something to do with Wayne Braybrook. There on the Gasgas uk website as there meant to go with the REP top yoke but will fit on standard Renthal clamps but not the raga ones. But the renthals are stronger as i have broke Raga clamps before. think the REP bits cost 14.99 or there about

This is how I checked for the correct riser, and it is cheap.

1. Buy a piece of hardwood. 10mm is about .4 inches.

2. Remove stock risers.

3. Drill a hole just big enough for your stud or bolt. My Montesa has a stud. I replaced it with a longer bolt to make up for the thickness of the wood.

4. Push the bolt through the hole in the wood to center the riser, screw it into the riser base, and trace around it or use spray paint so the pattern is outlined on the wood. Carb cleaner will easily remove the paint from the metal afterwards.

5. Cut out the piece, use a longer bolt, and reinstall everything. Test your new setup which is now close to 10mm taller, reinstall bars, and check the fit.

6. I used a 1/2 inch thick piece and laminated another 1/8 inch piece onto it to achieve my preference. That's just short of 16mm.

I found that the wood had outstanding compression strength and actually primed and finished it with Rustoleum metallic. You can coat it with clear afterwards to make it shinier of up want. Yes, they're still being used. This cost me $3.00 but I had the paint lying around. If you had to buy paint just for this, I'd use the wood to find the correct spacer thickness, and buy risers.

Now you'll really think I'm nuts. I turned my risers backwards, which on a Montesa moves them away from the rider. This put my bars about .75 bar width behind the centerline of the fork tubes. I experimented until I got the bars set at the angle I liked, and now it's a perfect fit. I tightened the riser clamps just like you should, the front first (which is now the back), and then the other side. No slippage, and I believe it's extremely unlikely that the bolts will shear. There is only a 1/16' gap where the "rear" of the clamps are tightened. It is now super easy to shift my weight, and requires less energy to ride.

What can I say? I love to tinker. If nothing else, you'll only have spent a few bucks more to find the correct height and offset that's best for you.

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...
hi all.has anybody put higher bars on gasgas 250 08 model.im 6ft 1 and seems like im really over the front.my mates beta 250 seems lot higher on front!

I just happened to come across this thread. Hebo makes a higher taper aftermarket bar that I've been running for several years on my bike. I'm guessing it's about 1" higher and the part number is HR3000928P. I've got an 02' Pro and switched to taper bars but didn't like the newer bars that were too low for comfort and put too much weight on the front end. If you put risers on and still need some more height, you might check into these.

Cheers.

Jon