Chain Lube - Which Is Best?

liam87

Just wondered which chain lube people use and what you think is best.

I've had morris's aerosol which was quite runny and most seemed to fly off the chain and end up caped around the rear sprocket and wheel.

I'm currently using some castrol aerosol which seems to be better but still doesn't last that long and tends not to stick to the chain as well.

Which is the stuff that's white when its sprayed on? It looks better quality and really seems to bind to the chain.

Cheers for any suggestions. :banana2:

Edited by Liam87

I think your refering to castrol chain wax, which I use to use good in the way it sticks and protects the chain externally in muddy conditions, but when sprayed it,s not runny enough to lube the rollers. I,m now using wurth dry lub, this gets into the links then dries so you would,nt think you had any on. Only problem is your proberly find it about

Most report that good old WD-40 works as good as anything! :banana2:

I might use WD-40 to clean the chain but I wouldn't rely on it for the lube.

Some (like me) use a chain wax and then maybe clean the chain thoroughly once in a while. I've heard of others that clean the chain (remove and boil in oil) after each ride.

It all depends...

Try some of THIS if you like splashing out.

Ride magazine tests are normally pretty in depth so if they reckon it's a best buy then I'd believe them.

As for me, I'll just stick to WD 40, lashings of it and very frequently ( I even carry a small tin with me whilst trialing ). Buy it by the gallon and use it for everything. Even a night out ! Smells better than Old Spice !

GJ :banana2:

Hey

I use WD40 to dispel the water and help clean the chain after a ride. But to lube it up I use Bel Ray or Silkolene as i find both work very good. But many people have different experiences with chain lube, i like Bel Ray but others hate it. You pay your money and take your choice.

Scott