Winter Tear Down ?'s

skid

04 200 beta

the bike doesn't appear to have lots of use, i'm guessing i'm the first one to open up some of this stuff since hte bike came from the factory

checking the various bearings ...

Unlike my dirtbike I noticed that these bikes don't have a seal over the wheel bearings. do you guys peel off the bearing seal and pack them with some fresh grease or just leave them alone till they crap out. Even though I use a dentist pick, I seem to have 50/50 results at getting the seal off without screwing it up. My front bearings seem fine so at this point I'm of a mind to leave them be.

which leads to the rear bearings....

while on the bike the rear wheel seemed fine, no indication of worn bearings. With the wheel off the bike, I can not get the inner race to rotate (just using my fingers) to check for smoothness. The front wheel bearing rotates fine, inner spacer and all. should the rear bearings inner race and spacer be that tight? Or is that an indication that the bearings are "dry" or may need to be replaced

Is the rear paoli shock serviceable or is it a throw away shock??

any idea what the torque torque numbers are for the shock mounting bolts and the swing arm bolt??

The bottom part of the swing arm has some good impact marks from what looks like the chain. Chain seemed fine and all the guides and rubbers seem to be in good shape. Are these sort of impact marks kind of normal?? I'm not talking scratches or rubbing wear marks, I'm talking impacts .. like it was wacked with a hammer,maybe going in about an 1/8 of an inch and maybe 1/4 to 3/8 inch long.

All and all the bike seems to be in good shape!!

Haven't tangled with the carb yet tho!!

thanks

Edited by Skid

any tricks to getting the rear wheel spacer to move so you can get some purchase on the the bearing with a drift to knock itout. I have changed wheel bearings many times on my dirtbikes and never had any issue with getting the spacer out of the way a bit to get at the bearing. The spacer in the rear wheel of my beta will not budge one bit. My standard procedure is to use a big screw driver and reach down the spacer and lever it over a bit. This sucker is refusing to go anywhere. It appears to be in there super, super tight. At this point I'm of a mind to use barry's technique. I did manage to get the seal off one side, but the seal it self does not look like it has much time left on it and I would just as soon put new bearings in. Do you suppose putting the wheel in an unheated shed, overnight temp 32 F, would shrink anything. I don't have a freezer big enough to fit the whole damn wheel in it.

I didn't mean re-packing old bearings! I was talking about the new ones. I will have a search for a technique to get the bearings out as it has been discussed before.

EDIT: Just a quick use of the search function and I have found loads but here is one of the selection Searching is easy

Edited by barrybaines

Of washers and axles...

okay so I'm putting the front wheel on and its been two weeks since I took it off ....

so obviously i have no recollection of where the bits go.

There was a rather thick washer with the axle. I looked through the manual and parts explosion to see which side it went on and came up blank. Using the marks on the washer as a guide I put it on the speedo side between the axle and the spacer ... is this the correct location.

any suggestions on a torque rating for the front and rear axles

How about the top nut on the top clamp on the triple tree. I went w/30 ft lbs.

When putting the forks back on I noticed that the cartridge side fork would hang about 1 to 2 inches lower than the spring side. Is it suppose to do that?? I changed the oil in the forks and took care to get all the air out and did not touch the internals. Obviously the forks were dead nuts even at the top clamp.

How do you guys measure chain slack. On my dirt bike I use the x number of fingers between the chain and top of the swing arm. Manual shows 20 mm to the top of the funky chain guide, is that the ticket??