Smokey Engine (black) Tlr 200

250tlr

Hi all....

I'm looking for some help and advice please........

I have a TLR200 which emits black smoke and runs with a black sooty spark plug all signs points to a rich fuel mixture, runs ok but idles up and down and will stall in time, also when its hot it can be a bitch to start again...

To start from cold you will never need to choke it, the lever stays down all the time.. tank of fuel last ten minutes... only joking!!!!

I have done the following but it still runs rich anybody had the same problem and cured it...

Checked air intake and put on a new air filter

Checked needle and setting ok (on Notch two)

Adjusted mixture screw, (screwed right in, then out 1 1/2 turns)

Adjusted float height holding carb completely up side down, adjusted to 24mm from top of float to base of carb

Checked jet sizes... correct - Main jet #98 and slow jet #40

Cleaned and blow out with compressed air all jets and air ways

Bloody thing is driving me mad.........

What is the mixture screws adjustment on these OUT to weaken and IN to richen ???

............is there anything I have over looked or missed that could help ??

Cheers Simon

Just because the float height is set right, doesn't mean that the fuel level is right!

Possibilities include:

Floats not floating high enough in the bowl (usually due to a float containing some fuel)

Float needle valve not sealing off fully

A good test for the fuel level being too high is to turn the fuel off while you are riding around. If the symptoms disappear for a while before the carby bowl goes dry, you have narrowed it down to fuel level being too high.

The other info you have not given us is:

Has the bike has just developed this problem while you have had it or was it like this when you bought it?

David

Have a good look at your needle and needle jet and if in doubt replace them both. This has sorted out similar problems for me on more than one occasion. I think they wear over many years and I don't think they want a lot of wear to cause a problem. They are probably getting dirty as well if the filter hasn't been kept 100% and this would increase the rate of wear,Good luck

Does anyone else you know have a 200 TLR?

If so after all you have done to your carb try swapping carbs to a 'good one', its a 10minute job and will prove once and for all whether your suspicions are right.

Put a new plug in the bike first , replace the fuel in the tank for fresh fuel and if I was you disconnect the kill switch. If it runs ok with another carb then carb is the answer - assuming your mates bike runs the same way as yours.

Hi all..

Thanks for the help and advice everyone.....

I've checked the float for pin holes and holding fuel and it was ok....... (Cheers Chris)

I think I have resolved what had made it so rich, the little tag on the float that makes contact and closes the float valve didn't completely sit right on the valve (had an angle of 45 degrees on it and didn't sit square onto the valve... if you no what I mean!), So I assume the fuel was not completely being shut off when the float had reached it's height....thus giving me my problems....

I bent the tag at more of an L-shape angle, re-adjusted the float level and now it runs 80% better...... still think it might need a bit more attention sometime, but for now it will tick over fine and doesn't smoke so that will do me.....

Case Closed.......

Cheers

Simon