The First Pics Of The New Project

jaylael

Some purists might be outraged by such a project. Normally I too find engine swaps to be a distasteful subject, but... after several years trying to keep from doing this, I just came home from work one day and started in on it. I guess the winter weather has effected my judgement.

The front subframe has been welded together out of alloy strap material from the hardware store, and short chunks of renthall handlebar. It's very satisfying to be able to make something like that, finally having a tig welder to play with.

The project has a long way to go, but should prove to be a fun ride and a great conversation starter. Also perhaps a handy excuse for lackluster finishes in modern events. :rolleyes:

post-27-1202205604.jpg

post-27-1202205665.jpg

post-27-1202205726.jpg

I hope to obtain an engineless Sherco 2003 80 cc, from my friend Ishy, which will have the smaller forks, four piston calipers and that sexy angle top swingarm.

I just can't bring myself to take apart my good ole Y2K Sherco 250 for this.

If I start glomming on some assorted old forks, shock swingarm etc I'll just have a junkyard special, so to do a nice job of it, seems like genuine Sherco parts are the best way to go.

This will take time to get the money for the project as I am just getting by for now, being February there are more bills to pay and less income to pay them. Long term this should become a reality though and I am very excited to try it out. Will post as the machine develops.

Is the front downtube even necessary? Will you be able to hang the Hodaka engine?

Here's what I think the 80 Sherco will look like. If you give me a side view of the Hodaka engine I can Photoshop the bikes together (while not technically accurate, it will give you an idea).

sherco2003-3.jpg

That looks like the Sherco 80 allright, but I don't have a side view of the engine. Will take some pics saturday will be my first chance. The extra cool downtubes are needed because they are cool! :rolleyes: Really I have been dreaming of building them for so long it's neat to see them fleshed out finally. OK back to work.

Eye of the beholder... :rolleyes:

I'd also say that the headsteadys aren't going to do much. If you need them you may want to think about dropping them straight down from the frame.

With that Sherco 80 frame I'm guessing (just from eyeballin' it) that to fit all of those cooling fins you may need to machine them out of the way.

I'll see if I can find a side view of a Hodaka, they're all the same, no? :unsure:

If you take pictures of the side view of the motor, throw a ruler into the picture. Or better yet, an 18in wheel. I then can match the scale based on the rear wheel of the Sherco (I assume the 80s still have 18in rears?).

Hodakco

Hodakco.jpg

Edited by swooshdave

The front downtubes can't go straght down even if you trim the fins because the Hodaka front engine mount is back too far. Without them, which I considered, there would not be enough support for the frame spars when landing from a large leap down. Trust me I plan on riding this bike, so it had better be tough enough to withstand some big hits without breaking in two. The frame in my photos is going to get a rear engine mount next. As you can see it isn't built yet, but is just located with a couple of straps. Even If I build a super strong rear engine mount, the top frame spars are not designed to go unsupported. It may be ugly in your eyes Dave, but it does also have to work, since it is definitely not intended for bike shows, but to test the limits of the mighty little Hodie engine. I just want to know how far it can go. If my vision comes together the way I hope it will, I should be able to ride it in the expert class at COTA events. Even a proper 125 Sherco is just underpowered enough to make allot of obstacles very hard to get up, but I reckon it will give me a new set of skills as far as rev and clutch type riding. That photoshop thing looks cool, but I still want it to be two tone green and say Hodaka on the side. The temptation to call it a Sherdaka should be resisted, since that implies the lowly hybrid that it is, but hybrids are generally distasteful so I don't really want to go there. I figure it is just a matter of time before one of the Sherco die hards chastise me for such an abomintion, but I just could not help myself, and it was a warranty discard frame anyway. .

The temptation to call it a Sherdaka should be resisted, since that implies the lowly hybrid that it is, but hybrids are generally distasteful so I don't really want to go there.

I hate to break it to you, but a hybrid is what you have, no matter what you call it. Calling it a Hodaka is disrespectful to the Sherco chassis. Calling it a Sherco is ignoring the vintage motor in it. :unsure:

Own up to what it is and give it a proper name.

Hodakco

Sheraka

Sherdaka (!)

Hodaka-Sherco

And finally, The Lael Special... :rolleyes:

You are correct there, I just recall being at some beerfest where I was cornered by a random mouth breathing numbskull who always said "they were going to" put a SL 350 engine in a Bultaco pursang chassis or some equally appalling idea. I just hate the thought of being lumped in with that ilk, plus I am actually DOING IT, not talking about it and no beer is involved. (yet)

You are correct there, I just recall being at some beerfest where I was cornered by a random mouth breathing numbskull who always said "they were going to" put a SL 350 engine in a Bultaco pursang chassis or some equally appalling idea. I just hate the thought of being lumped in with that ilk, plus I am actually DOING IT, not talking about it and no beer is involved. (yet)

Hey! I would have if I could have found the SL engine! :rolleyes:

But you are correct, there are two kinds of specials builders, those that talk and those that do. No one ever confuses the two.

(Let's not talk about the actually special project I've been working on for, ahem, a while...)

That was you? Sorry :unsure: Enlighten us about your project. Seein' as how I never could get the schwynn 26 incher to go with the Homelite engine, I had to redeem myself. :D My old man was pretty PO'd about the chainsaw when he found out.

Hey! I would have if I could have found the SL engine! :rolleyes:

But you are correct, there are two kinds of specials builders, those that talk and those that do. No one ever confuses the two.

(Let's not talk about the actually special project I've been working on for, ahem, a while...)