The First Pics Of The New Project

jaylael

That was you? Sorry :unsure: Enlighten us about your project.

Of course it wasn't me. I wouldn't be seen near a Honda. :rolleyes:

It's not a trials project, I hear these folks 'round here get a little bent if you talk about non-trials stuff. I'll save it for another forum... :D

It was a glimpse of my nearly absent sense of humor. Even humourless automatons like me can attempt to make a joke sometimes.

Of course it wasn't me. I wouldn't be seen near a Honda. :rolleyes:

It's not a trials project, I hear these folks 'round here get a little bent if you talk about non-trials stuff. I'll save it for another forum... :unsure:

Good idea Brian! See enclosed photo of the Northern Leopard Frog which sports just the right color scheme for the bike and might make a cool logo as well. Not too much of a stretch to call it a "Leap Frog" since I intend to leap the bike as much as possible. :rolleyes:

How about "leap frog"?

post-27-1202326088.jpg

Edited by JayLael

Once the rear engine mount is complete, it will be. (a stressed member) Plus even if this bike turns out to be a total failure it wouldn't be the first time. I just build it and try to break it. Can't afford real trials bikes, so please have a heart. I'm sharing my joy in building something with my own two hands. How is that not a positive thing even if it does break. (which it probably won't)

Right, sorry Howard. I am probably being overly dramatic. It's just that this is really an intensely important thing for me. I submit to your superior training and your goodwill to point out the flaw in the "emperor's new clothes" so let's have it then. How the blank is it wrong? I see it working, but the notion is if it busts the Hodaka case lugs off the front or something well then that's how I'll learn. I just do stuff. Don't have a college dergree, but I work my fool butt off every day, so that's got to count for something. If the alloy front flexi widget is your concern then how come they have that on Cota 315 or Beta Rev 3 or owt just the same? The alloy brace arrangement on those bikes is not overly different than the one I have built. Um... I guess to my eye the weak point is the spars about at the end of my 1/8 thick mild steel plate gussets I welded to support the steering head and ridify the spars vertically. I guess the that's what you are saying then is the spars will kink straight up because the alloy front subframe cannot prevent it from going skyward? Why not? Surely if the rear of the engine is secured properly the front of the engine would hold the front of the spars down adequately. Please enlighten me.

Jay,

Opinion time:

Engineers are rooted in "theory" -------- If something does not match what the college taught theory of engineering is then it will not work.

Handymen are rooted in "reality"-------- Sometimes it just works that way.

OK Engineers have a definately good purpose, they provide a starting point.

Example. Engineer specs out a pump to move X amount of fluid through Y size pipe for ZH and ZV distance, (Horizontal and Vertical).

Maintenance dude says "Gonna need a bigger pump"

Engineer spouts bunch of theory about fluid movement, head pressure, and pipe diameters.

Contractors build everything.

Fire up pump, fluid moves, very slow, half speed it was calculated to flow.

Maint. Dude "Need bigger pump"

Engineer "It works on paper"

Maint. "Bigger pump"

Engineer "The specs say it should work, Contractor messed up"

Engineer goes home, Maint. dude puts in next size up pump, Everything works beautiful.

Engineers are not bad people, Just in my experience they are unable to accept that they may be wrong, or that there is more than one way to do things. Notice Howard's total lack of an actual response as to why what he see's in the pictures is a worry, even after Jay asks Why?.

My hats off to you Jay, Give it your best shot, if it don't work throw more weld at it.

Thanks for the votes of confidence guys. HondaTLR that is a 125 wombat engine, with a host of mods to it. Brian I'm so glad you made it through the tornadoes in your area this week. That's so scary for all a y'all. Zippy, thanks for shoring up my crumbling confidence, alot! I still think it will be just fine. I vow to forge ahead and keep TC readers abreast of significant developments. I went out to shop this morning before work and darned if it doesn't look perfectly ok still. :rolleyes:

Jay,

When you get all the Engine mounts complete and the Engine is totally secured please post a pic. I am interested to see the final fit of the engine.

Kind of an after thought but, the Swingarm mounting bolt. On the regular Sherco the Swingarm bolt passes through the engine cases. please post pics of how you are mounting the swing arm, Should be interesting. Not sure if you have "engineered" :rolleyes: anything for that yet. I am only pestering cuz I am genually interested in seeing how you are putting it together.

Edited by ZIPPY

Will do Zippy. I have visions of something strong which incorporates both the swingarm bolt and the frame to grab the back of the engine. The undeniably ugly "head steadies" will be trimmed to look more petite, but really are critical to help hold the steering head down via the front subframe. (alloy flexi widget in laymans terms) Dave you are welcome to ride it when it is ready. I once let Mike "Gonzo" Borseth ride my Type 2 Hodaka in a trial at Spokane. See photo of Mike on the Type 2 enclosed. He crashed so many times I lost count. He bent the chain guide so bad the chain came off for the first time in the life of the bike. As a result of this test session all the Tree Frogs will have more beefy chain guides. If only I had tested the machine it would never have gotten this type of improvemnet, so even the less skilled riders can make valuable contributions to the end result. Full speed ahead on the Hodaka Leap Frog (type 4)

post-27-1202419572.jpg

Edited by JayLael