The First Pics Of The New Project

jaylael

Jay,

When you get all the Engine mounts complete and the Engine is totally secured please post a pic. I am interested to see the final fit of the engine.

Kind of an after thought but, the Swingarm mounting bolt. On the regular Sherco the Swingarm bolt passes through the engine cases. please post pics of how you are mounting the swing arm, Should be interesting.

I`m also interested.

I once let Mike "Gonzo" Borseth ride my Type 2 Hodaka in a trial at Spokane. See photo of Mike on the Type 2 enclosed. He crashed so many times I lost count.

Good think you didn't let Steve Clark on the thing, it would have come back wadded up. :rolleyes:

Gonzo borrowed Tim Moulton's Montesa at Chehalis and apparently did better, so maybe it was the bike and not the rider? :unsure:

Steve Clark who...... :rolleyes: just wondering if I am thinking of the same one you are! Jay my old friend. Dude, this thing was hatched over way too many beers.......like most good ideas! I love your crazy ingenuity for sure! I love watching what you are up to as do most on here me thinks. If things get out of hand though bud, I dont know what kind of 12 step programs they have in Oregoon, but up here in Canada there are lots available if needed. :unsure:

Jay,

Opinion time:

Engineers are rooted in "theory" -------- If something does not match what the college taught theory of engineering is then it will not work.

Handymen are rooted in "reality"-------- Sometimes it just works that way.

Engineers are not bad people, Just in my experience they are unable to accept that they may be wrong, or that there is more than one way to do things. Notice Howard's total lack of an actual response as to why what he see's in the pictures is a worry, even after Jay asks Why?.

Hey Zippy,

Not sure what type of "Engineers" you`ve dealt with. Here in Australia Mate we engineers turn our "Theory" into "Reality".

Here`s one of my goes in 1983 !!

http://picasaweb.google.com/Shercoh/Images...583975773909762

And another in 1992 !!

http://picasaweb.google.com/Shercoh/MyPict...596615862661922

Edited by Howard Wallace

Steve: There's a guy in our vintage motocross club, known a soup, which is short for super Stevie. (Steve Clark senior) He is a motocross rider from way back, about mid forties I guess. Apparently known for wrecking other folks mx bikes when he borrows them. He doesn't seem to have any running bikes of his own but incredibly always gets a super pristine hopped up show quality bike to race from someone or another. He was whipping the heck out of me at Chehalis in the fall race on a borrowed $10.000.00 CZ 125 when the pipe came off and bounced across the track in front of me while we were doing like 40 mph! The little CZ lost most of it's horsepower after that and I was easily past him within two corners. It wasn't easy but I missed the exhaust pipe by a few inches.

As far as the Canadian twelve step program, do they have one for Hodaka obsessed people? I really think I'm hopeless on that account. Things have been out of hand for some time! Have a great weekend ole' buddy. :beer: Howard I have no doubt you have the knowldge to see things I don't, but right or wrong I have to trust my own intincts and move forward. How crappy would it be to abandon the project just because it was met with one tiny speck of negativity. I have done so before when it was clear to me that I was headed down the wrong path on a bike build, but I still believe in this one and feel confident that it will be just bitchen. (Really good) One thing you should understand about me is that I visualize these things on a mental notepad of sorts, but cannot draw a decent sketch of the plan to save my life! I have tried to make drawings and they are just pitiful. It's like a learning definciency and a lack of that particular talent in any way shape or form with regard to drawing. Therefore I physically assemble the bike from a metal image which I work out over time. I love beer, but cannot drink more than one or two without getting sick with a cracking migraine headache. I basically drink very little. I go to bed incredibly early and wake up incredibly early to go to an independent auto repair shop, where I have worked since 1984. (mostly) I work on alot of different makes and models, a diverse cross section of vehicles from MB, BMW, SAAB, down to Chevy, Toyota, Ford etc. I get paid flat rate which means if you can't fix the car, you don't get paid. Logistically imagine the odds I am against to make a living in this way. My work mates there are a great bunch of guys who all try as hard as they can to do well at this each day. Among them our service writer is a well known trials guy around the USA, Kary Krahel. He has ridden the scottish six days, and the 1986 USA world round, so it's really a pretty fun bunch at work. That said there are some difficult times in that cars will find a way to make your life hell at times. I have to do repeat work when a trans won't shift right, maybe even taking the unit back out as much as four times before having it work properly. Granted these are extreme cases, but I tell you, that will test your character! Fundamentally my point is that this mindset is unique and requires devotion, sincerity, honesty, and an unparalelled work ethic. This is hard to translate somehow, but I think that is kinda' what Zippy is trying to say, partly. OK I gotta' go

Hey Zippy,

Not sure what type of "Engineers" you`ve dealt with. Here in Australia Mate we engineers turn our "Theory" into "Reality".

Here`s one of my goes in 1983 !!

http://picasaweb.google.com/Shercoh/Images...583975773909762

And another in 1992 !!

http://picasaweb.google.com/Shercoh/MyPict...596615862661922

bike-tc.jpg

That doesn't look like a Hodaka! :beer:

First off Howard credit where credit is due those are really nice and fine examples of good work. And they look good. Obviously you are one of the Engineeers that can think past the paper phase of things. There are a few of them in the world I forgot to mention that part. My hat off to you as well.

Jay, yep what you said.

First off Howard credit where credit is due those are really nice and fine examples of good work. And they look good. Obviously you are one of the Engineeers that can think past the paper phase of things. There are a few of them in the world I forgot to mention that part. My hat off to you as well.

Of course he doesn't have any pictures of it moving so... :beer:

No problem Howard. Glad we have come to see this sensibly as adults, and avoided the usual degradation that sometimes comes with the internet medium. Seems without voice inflection, an intended joke can become miconstrued to be hurtful, or a constructive critisism can be mistaken for just trash talking or whatever. Sometimes it's hard to communicate effectively on the internet. Still with it's limitations, it is a wonderful thing that bike nuts from around the globe can sit down and discuss points of a project and it is overall very positive for everyone. That's really a neat thing. So I am super psyched about the Hodaka project! Will post more pics first chance I get. The rear engine mopunt is mostly done! It looks tough as can be. This bike is gonna' be so sweet!! Signing off.

That looks amazing, Jay.

I'm an engineering type, not an Engineer but a technologist and I build highrise towers, so I have an eye for what works structurally. That said, I don't think the front subframe is going to be highly stressed anyways, because that steel gusset welded between the steering head and the underside of the frame looks like it's going to do most of the job by itself.

One question though. Where does the carb go? LOL

I just like to see how things are built and how they work.

That looks really nice, I like the swingarm mount looks mighty strong. Motor fits in there really nice.

Is that Sherco frame a year 2000?

The rear skidplate mounts look just like my 2000's and there appears to be a crack in the one. (just like mine) I ended up welding an extra plate to the inner side of the mounting tab and a gusset from the round part of the frame to the tab. (yep explanation clear as mud) When I get everything else together (big winter project) I will test them out. Read as "beat the hell out of them"

Yeah, Zip, it's a Y2k. Need to build carb manifold, header pipe, skid plate etc. Also need to rest. This bit of progress came at a price to my constitution. Moving forward in fits and starts but darn good progress. I think this thing will work incredibly good for a Hodaka. Yep, it's a busted skid plate mount allright. Good tip on the extra plate. I may do that one too. Thinking about ways to isolate the skid plate on rubber grommets or something way more advanced than just bolting it on. Rubber pad creates difficulty removing and installing the side cases. I plan on using a piece of 5/16" alloy plate, sheared to size and bent on a press brake. Rubber mounts at the corners would provide a cushion to the tremendous shocks imposed upon the skid plate by typical thrasher trials riders like myself. Unlike the factory stars we country folk could do with a bit of shock absorbtion at the skid plate. Rubber bushed mounting is something I want to do. The mental scratch pad is back in action. Jay

HMMM, rubber mounts..................dang it Jay now you got me thinking........See the smoke coming out my ears.

I will probably just flatten the skid plate out again (this is done yearly) and mount it back on.