The First Pics Of The New Project

jaylael

Awright I guess I can get my mind out of the gutter. I don't know what you mean by #2 then. Wouldn't be the first time I've been thick.

Any road, tonight was the first trial on the bike, and I am pleased as punch to report we managed a credible 4th place, expert. Ishy won with 18 and I came in fourth with 28. Pretty close trial and me with no fives! Of course it was a fairly easy event, but I had fun like crazy. I could hardly stop grinning like an idiot. When I cleaned sections I felt like the king of the world! Results should be up at some point soon on COTA web site. :huh:

You have the right idea Jay, it is just that during the trial the O#2 keeps coming out the other end for me! Usually they throw in the blind observers when I ride, as all they have to do is listen to how many O#2's and they automacally know how to punch the card! :D

I think it is time to get Ishy's 3.2 motor into a ITSA Majesty frame ! :wall:

Ishy would get that 3.2 motor put back into a Sherco frame if he could afford to repair it. If the guy from worlds fastest Indian were here he could whip us up a new piston, cylinder etc for the old girl and she'd be right enough. :wall:

You have the right idea Jay, it is just that during the trial the O#2 keeps coming out the other end for me!

Holy crud I think I just got it. Man, without voice inflection it is hard to decipher meaning in sentences. You mean a verbal exclamation. I told ya' I could be thick.

At least you weren't insulting my motorcycle. :wall:

About verbal exclamations while riding. I was racing my 450 Maico at a little alfalfa field mx track in 1978. It was a place called Ronan Montana. Team Can Am was there with the factory works van and hired guns. Of course the team manager was Jeff Smith. It so happens that during my race I was running second, but stuck behind this guy on a Suzuki RM 400. These things were such good bikes, at the time they were the bane of my existence. Always some farm kid swapping along out in front of me on my Maico, Husqvarna or whatever. I was a fiercely loyal european bike guy for a fair number of years. So anyway this kid is wearing a sparkle helmet, and a big bulky looking sweater, like he was fixing to have a frigging fireside chat and smoke his bloody pipe! That just infuriated me. I really have grown up since then. Anyway I had more speed than this guy, but I could not get around him because he was swapping across all the good openings like a crazed Bob Hannah. This was when I did what I regret. I began shouting obscenities at this guy in my frustration. And he hung on for the entire race, me shouting at him and trying to run into his front wheel, and just missing a thousand times a lap. I must have sweared at him with incredible venom and colour. After the race, I was approached by Jeff Smith and he said something to the effect, "Overall it would be better for the sport of Motocross, if I would just quit the sport." "It's people like you who go around shouting cuss words at your competition, who bring this sport down." "The sooner you get out of it the better for all concerned."

Well this really opened my eyes and since that day I am a reformed character. Mister Smith, wherever you are, thank you for that sir. I have never once shouted at another in anger, ever, anywhere since that day. I however did not take your advice and quit the sport.

Edited by JayLael

At a hare scramble last week, I had a similar experience, sorta. I've riding SSC and starting behind all the C classes. Which makes for interesting passing, which I enjoy. So I'm on a YZ125 and I catch up to a guy on a YZ450. I know it's a 450 because every time he blips the throttle I get a facefull of earth. I don't like to holler until I am close enough to make a pass. But every time I moved up he would cover me up with what seemed like a well timed throttle burst. It seemed like he was rolling over every hill and into every corner and trying to throw dirt on me. So it made me mad and I pressed tight and inside in a corner, putting my front tire right in his line and screaming an obsceneity at the top of my lungs " GET THE @%$$% OUTTA THE WAY". I startled him and got by. Remorse for my action instantly set in. I tried to find him after the event to apoligize but could not. No excuse for bad behavior, or very poor judgement.

At a hare scramble last week, I had a similar experience, sorta. I've riding SSC and starting behind all the C classes. Which makes for interesting passing, which I enjoy. So I'm on a YZ125 and I catch up to a guy on a YZ450. I know it's a 450 because every time he blips the throttle I get a facefull of earth. I don't like to holler until I am close enough to make a pass. But every time I moved up he would cover me up with what seemed like a well timed throttle burst. It seemed like he was rolling over every hill and into every corner and trying to throw dirt on me. So it made me mad and I pressed tight and inside in a corner, putting my front tire right in his line and screaming an obsceneity at the top of my lungs " GET THE @%$$% OUTTA THE WAY". I startled him and got by. Remorse for my action instantly set in. I tried to find him after the event to apoligize but could not. No excuse for bad behavior, or very poor judgement.

If his behavior was intentional your reaction was reasonable.

Ah yes, the first RM 400 "the Killer" was my first big O#2! What year was it? I cannot remember. Maybe '72- '73 I must have been about 15 at the time.

Anyway, at the time I was riding 125 EX on a Penton, and there was this small local track we would visit on off weekends. I was in shape, and back then you could ride up a class, so I ran the 125 in all three classes for a good days ride, 125 EX, 250EX and Open EX. You could literally finish one moto and det a drink, wait for the Nov and Int to start, then go again!

I do remember that it was a long hot(100f) day, and after getting the wins in 125 and 250 and trading motos with this nut on a big RM the first two motos, it was down to the last moto of the day! And I wanted 3 for 3!

He got the holeshot(again) and I had to pass a couple of riders to work up on his tail. It was a tight track and the old RM was sideways everywhere he punched it. I just had to play catch up in the corners as he would roost me on the straights.

Not far before the finish, there was a switchback with a 5ft uphill jump coming out of it giving good lift, so in the last turns of the last lap I went for it! We came out of the switchback side by side and hit the jump. And about 6ft in the air we hit!

I got soo crossed up I had to plant a foot on the landing and BAM there went the left ACL and a few bits of miniscus tissue! OOOO #### 2222 that hurt!!!!! I thought I was done, but I think it scared him just enough to back off just a second, enough for me to complete the last two turns on one leg. I could not even get off the bike without help! I think cutting off the leg would have been less painful! :huh:

A few more knees and shoulders later, a few more Cz's(250), Maico's(450 and 501) and Husky's(450) later, not to mention some Jap junk, and a long layoff between about "84 and 2000, here i am! Somewhere in there I forgot how to really ride! Body does no longer follow the mind! Then comes the O#2 again!

You know that funny feeling you get when you are just a mm away from going over the bars? I get that a lot! :wall:

Edited by copemech

Looks GREAT Jay ! Did the frame/engine position flex/move at all ? And I'll get ahold of my brother in bakercity to see about the zero donor

Bike I told you about back in the dark ages ...

Now to go out to my shop and fire up the fantic and see if after a week back at work if my clavicle is healed enough to play ...

Glenn :wall:

Looks GREAT Jay ! Did the frame/engine position flex/move at all ? And I'll get ahold of my brother in bakercity to see about the zero donor

Bike I told you about back in the dark ages ...

Now to go out to my shop and fire up the fantic and see if after a week back at work if my clavicle is healed enough to play ...

Glenn :(

Glenn: I think that Beta Zero sounds like the hot item for another Hodaka project. Keep me informed as this progresses.

So I managed to finish the trial at Sweetens on 93 points for 7th place expert. It was very very tough and on this bike it felt like a world round. At least two of the Experts were champ riders riding down a class for Dennis' trial. I think I managed two cleans. The whole thing is kind of a blur. I think I sweated out about a gallon. Ishy won the vintage A class on his 200 Fantic, and I was second in on the vintage Tree-Frog. It made for a full day riding both morning and afternoon. I can't wait to see Dave's video. :D