The First Pics Of The New Project

jaylael

And Jay ! I have to ask (after doing a search here on fork angles and some posts you made about fixing a ty80 up for a freind came up !

Why Didn't you warn me !!!!:thumbup: ! I've got more into this ty80 than I do into my 240 ! ( including enough spares,frame and all to build a second bike !) But we do what we do and if AHRMA doesn't let modern twinshocks in , I'll just ride a bizarre big wheeled ty80 !!!! And Swoosh in a few years I may have a TRICK TY80 for your kid ...

Glenn <_< Percoset and A beer what a combo ! Gotta go weld a frame now !!! ;)

(just kiddding ?)

And Jay ! I have to ask (after doing a search here on fork angles and some posts you made about fixing a ty80 up for a freind came up !

Why Didn't you warn me !!!!;) !

I can't save you from yourself. The cost of "building" a TY 80 adds up quickly. I imagine doing the same to a big pre unit british single would be ten times that. That's a distinct advantage to playing with Hodakas, allthough they aren't usually that cheap to buy parts for either anymore. When it comes to your choices in motorcycling, I say follow your heart. Be that a need to ride a Montgomery Ward scooter, or a Harley Chopper.

Steve had to work so he wasn't able to attend. Ishy never brought his Fantic, and never rode in the trial since he was the trials marshall and I'm sure that was plenty enough to keep him busy.

No one rode vintage, but I managed 3rd expert on saturday and fifth on sunday riding the Sherco. The low scores did not reflect the difficulty of the sections especially on sunday the riders were almost all just riding super well and especially Jay Terry who had five points on the DAY (sunday) in old feeble (sr) expert class, which was brutally competitive.

I had the Hodaka trials bikes lined up there on display and offered free test rides to anyone who seemed interested.

Swoosh Dave most likely went to the VDR race at Eugene oregon today. I look forward to hearing about it.

Steve had to work so he wasn't able to attend. Ishy never brought his Fantic, and never rode in the trial since he was the trials marshall and I'm sure that was plenty enough to keep him busy.

No one rode vintage, but I managed 3rd expert on saturday and fifth on sunday riding the Sherco. The low scores did not reflect the difficulty of the sections especially on sunday the riders were almost all just riding super well and especially Jay Terry who had five points on the DAY (sunday) in old feeble (sr) expert class, which was brutally competitive.

I had the Hodaka trials bikes lined up there on display and offered free test rides to anyone who seemed interested.

Swoosh Dave most likely went to the VDR race at Eugene oregon today. I look forward to hearing about it.

Eugene was a blast. The track was fun, long and dusty. I'll have something on YouTube in a while. I just hate when I have to choose WHICH motorcycle event to go to. Decisions, decisions...

To be honest I was a little apprehensive about Lolo. I knew I had less chance of crashing into some rocks at Eugene, although the blackberry bushes were none too inviting.

I'll get some more trials in shortly as we have the Classic back at Chehalis coming up soon.

• 2 weeks later...

This probably is an irrational project allright. The product of a long winter and years of daydreaming about a "modern" Hodaka. Once I get this bike done and parked on the lawn at Hodaka Days, my suffering will all be a distant memory. Next to all the amazing project Hodakas out there, this one will be just one more.

This photo of the Sherdaka on the lawn at the Hodaka Days bike show in Athena Oregon, represents to some degree, the realization of that dream which was hatched over "too many beers" all those months ago. Looking back on the project thus far, and looking forward to the future, I see BOLD NEW GRAPHICS. Now I understand why bike manufacturers introduce changes in fits and starts, as creating truly new bikes can be very tough.

Since I have treated this thread like my personal blog to some degree, I will add that the Fall Premier and Classic weekend at Chehalis Washington is coming up this weekend, two days from now. I intend to ride the Tree Frog Type3, and sport the white shirt and tie in the trial. The featured legend at the festive dinner will be Joe Bolger. In the past there have been some fantastic presentations and reminiscences from their fellow old guy cohorts. I always look forward to this event. Sunday I will be racing the Combat Wombat again which has been working very well.

post-27-1221745487.jpg

Edited by JayLael

I think we can forgive you for blogging here. Fortunately it's not a punishable offense.

While at Eugene someone asked me why I wouldn't be racing at the P & C. Surely my bike was old enough and didn't have reeds. Alas, someone had the wisdom to move all Pursangs to Sportsman. So, once again I'll be regulated to the trials.

Looking forward to plenty of Derek's awkward sections. Always more entertaining when the off-camber crap is slippery with rain.

Is it illegal to have spiked tires in trials? ;)

Around year 2000, this guy in our club named Jack got sucked into the back tyre of his Sherco so hard it had the tire flattened against the rim and two guys had to gingerly turn the back wheel to get him out, while he was being burned on the exhaust. Now picture that scene with studded back tyre.

I am going to upload this awesome portrait of the Sherdaka by Jake Meteer

post-27-1221789988.jpg

Edited by JayLael

So !! This was all about building a bike to match your vintage hodi riding pants ??? The bike sure looks great though !

And out there somewhere is a clip of guys ice racing , with the aftermath of a crash ... I saw it years ago . Pretty gruesome to say the least . (think 40hp chainsaw ...)

Glenn ;)

Edited by axulsuv

So !! This was all about building a bike to match your vintage hodi riding pants ??? The bike sure looks great though !

And out there somewhere is a clip of guys ice racing , with the aftermath of a crash ... I saw it years ago . Pretty gruesome to say the least . (think 40hp chainsaw ...)

Glenn ;)

I really couldn't pass up that combination. It was like really a no brainer. If the mood strikes me I think I might treat this bike as my canvas and create different color schemes just for fun. It could be like a mood ring. :)

Thanks for the nice comment. I think it's beautiful too.

Dave's comments may have been inspired by section 10 at the Chehalis national this year. There was a simple off camber turn on mud that became slick as ice during and after a surprise rainstorm during the trial. Dave got soaked and section ten became pretty slippery to say the least. All good fun.