Pre 65 Forks.

lucifer

HI.

I'm currently in the process of rebuilding a '58 Triumph 3TA and am wondering what to do about front forks. I have a pair of old bog standard Triumph forks, old meaning springs on the outside! I also have a pair of Bultaco forks, Betor I think. (correct me if I'm wrong) Now looking on various club website that run Pre 65 trials i.e. Poachers Pre 65, Yorkshire classic, Red Rose etc. They all say a similar thing in that the fork is to appear original externally but can have modern parts internally. They all state that Ceriani, R.E.H. and M.P, what ever they are, can not be used. I know I would be within the rules using the old Triumph ones but what about the Bultaco ones? What forks do the top Pre 65 lads use? Which forks do you recomend. And who does the altering of forks to accept the modern internals?

Thanks in advance for your help and advise.

Hi Guy's

Hi

Most "Fiddle" Forks have "Marzocchi" or "Beta" internals I have tried Yamaha for a set I am working on. Most of these are fitted into Norton Roadholder sliders.

Alan Whitton is the man to ring 01246419805, You may have to wait for a while though. Or you could try D,and C,Classics, Dave Varley.

Hope this helps.

Regards Charlie.

Time to get your cheque book out i am afraid. The triumph forks are too short and have insuffient travel and damping. it seems to be generaly accepted that more modern forks can be used so long as outwardly they look some thing like pre-65.

you could have the bultaco sliders machined down to fit inside some bored out norton sliders, then all you have to do is machine the existing triumph yokes to accept the bultaco stantions, or make some new billet yokes. (bultaco yokes are frowned upon).

A job for the experts, (see a previous post for the pit falls).

i went to dave varley http://www.dcclassicmotorcycles.co.uk/ and he put me in touch with the guy who builds up his forks for him. i got mazzochi internals in triumph sliders with billet yokes and roller bearings fitted to my bike and delivered for the price of .. well if you have to ask you cant afford .. but they are the bogs bo####ks and as good as you can get..

cant reccomend dave high enough knows his stuff and always ready to deal..

You have some of the right bits to start with, which is a big help. You can get your Bultaco sliders turned down in a lathe, and fitted into your existing Triumph sliders - that means your wheel will still fit straight into the bottom clamps, and save you the cost of Norton sliders (have you seen the price of those lately...?). Ditto getting your yokes machined out - they will still fit in the headstock using original bearings. But both those processes are tricky to perform - not a job for anyone who isn't well versed in lathe work. I believe the going rate around here is about 150-200 quid if you supply the bits, which you already have. I do my own, but I wouldn't like to do anyone else's - those last passes on the lathe when the alloy slider is down to about 1mm of thickness are a bit on the stressful side...

• 2 years later...

Lucifer,

Check the forks on a couple of the old Yamaha DT's. I found a set that bolted right up to my Bantam (only slight center bolt length difference - use their triple tree). They are cheap, available and you can get parts to rebuild them. Plenty of travel and dampening. With their age they keep within the spirit of the class.

Alan

Lucifer,

Check the forks on a couple of the old Yamaha DT's. I found a set that bolted right up to my Bantam (only slight center bolt length difference - use their triple tree). They are cheap, available and you can get parts to rebuild them. Plenty of travel and dampening. With their age they keep within the spirit of the class.

Alan

Alan DT forks are not old enough to be eligible for pre-65 in the UK