Montesa 123 Service Info

johnh

I have just bought a Montesa Cota 123 (M28) and I,m after some info on, spares and servicing.

Where can I get hold of a manual (Haynes, owners, etc) if possible.

Spares, the bike has been stood for some years but after cleaning the carb, draining the fuel tank and fitting a new plug she fired up and everything seems to work OK. But I would like to give it a thorough service so gaskets, oil types and quantities are required as well as a few cosmetic items (rear brake pedal, seat/tank unit rubber stays, slow action throttle, grips, cables and carb kit)

I live in the Gloucester area.

Any advice and/or tips are much appreciated.

John

I had one of these a few years ago with a view to re-building it,but the kickstart shaft had stripped all the splines off.A common Montesa problem I believe.I phoned round almost all the suppliers and breakers I could find but could not source another.Spares in general,I was told,are very thin on the ground.I sold it on soon after.The couple of times I had it running it seemed a good bike,very light and manageable.It had very high gearing though so no idea what it would have been like in a trial.

• 15 years later...

16 minutes ago, louiseb said:

I've got a 250 cota ,I think it's a 1968 but not sure it's been torn down the cylinder is marked 73.025 is this stock?

Really should have started a new thread for this louiseb, found this:

72.5mm bore was standard for a 250 Cota in 1974  

Cota 247 in 1968 had a piston diameter of 72.55 (they actually stated piston diameter and not bore so maybe measure your piston and cylinder bore to see what you have)

Marked how; written on there with marker pen or numbers stamped on it permanent like?   .475mm sounds like a big piston to cylinder gap for rings to fill, so I'd say you are most likely looking at an over-sized something. Decoding the VIN stamped into the frame should clear up what model year yours is and what might be stock original measurements.