Removing And Sealing The Air Box

tombo46

Can anyone tell me how to remove the airbox on an 08 Pro? The dealer I bought from didnt Seal it in the PDI so ive got to do it. Also I bought a rubber flap to stop water getting in, its meant to fit around the shock but from what I can tell theres already a rubber flap there, its dimpled rubber rather than the smooth one i bought, does this mean I have to replace the old flap with the new one?

Any help/tips much appreciated!

Tom

If its the big rubber flap it will sit ontop of everything when you have the airbox off above where your carb and things are etc...

il try find a diagram sure theres one about somewhere ...

not quite sure how they seal the airbox i just know i tape up the drainage flap at the bottom so nothing can get up into it, then undo when cleaning airbox out etc etc.

hope some of this is some help.

Can anyone tell me how to remove the airbox on an 08 Pro? The dealer I bought from didnt Seal it in the PDI so ive got to do it. Also I bought a rubber flap to stop water getting in, its meant to fit around the shock but from what I can tell theres already a rubber flap there, its dimpled rubber rather than the smooth one i bought, does this mean I have to replace the old flap with the new one?

Any help/tips much appreciated!

Tom

Take it back to him and make him do it its his job, alternatively phone shirty and take it to factory kev its essential its done a must.

Im not going to take it back to him because i dont want him to have anything more to do with the bike, im fed up with waiting, the bike was recently with kev to have some bits fitted and he has told me how to seal it, just not sure on the exact details hehe.

Tom

I dont want to name and shame because apparently its unusual behavoir for that dealer, I dont want to go slagging his business off if neglecting my bike was just a one-off.

On a brighter note, Ive replaced the old rubber flap with the new "extended" one that goes around the shock etc and ive removed all the bolts for the air box seperated it, run sealant around where the 2 parts meet and sealed every seal except for the Hole where the air comes into the box.

The lengh of rubber thats on the back of the air box (that generally gets covered in crap from the rear wheel) isnt glued on very well, should I re-glue it and seal it with silicone like the rest of the air-box?

Thanks for the help =]

Tom

I wouldn't seal the drain flap closed. They don't self seal very well BUT at least it gives somewhere for any water that does get in out again. A trick I was told for the SSDT has stood me well even in some very deep water. (Aberfeldy 2 day 2007 :) ) Cut a small piece of spunge and fit it deep down in to the bottom of the airbox on top of the drain flap. This will stop water getting drawn in to the the box rapidly and also catch water coming in anywhere else stopping it sloshing around but allow it to drain back out.

I wouldn't seal the drain flap closed. They don't self seal very well BUT at least it gives somewhere for any water that does get in out again. A trick I was told for the SSDT has stood me well even in some very deep water. (Aberfeldy 2 day 2007 :rotfl: ) Cut a small piece of spunge and fit it deep down in to the bottom of the airbox on top of the drain flap. This will stop water getting drawn in to the the box rapidly and also catch water coming in anywhere else stopping it sloshing around but allow it to drain back out.

Good tip.

I use the motocross open sponge available at an MX track near you! Got mine from hawkstone.