Gas Gas Txt 50cc

asim

I am new to trials and just bought my son the above bike, it cracks up first time but as soon as he stalls it, i cannot get it started again. The fuel mixture is correct but their is carbon on the plug every time it is changed. This has to be done to get the bike started every time it is taken out. Please can someone shed any light on what the problem is.

Dont know how old your bike is,but i know that these bikes suffered from electrical problems,there was a kit to replace the ignition to improve starting.It definatly affected 2000 models,speak to gasgas uk,maybe they can help.

I had a similar problem with my lads 2003 bike...I had a spark, fuel, ignition timing was ok but would only run for a few seconds....turned out to be a distorted reed block which meant the reeds were only just sealing but not completely. I contacted GasGas through a spanish speaking mate and they admitted that they had a batch of 'out of tolerance' reed blocks. A new block cured the problem completlely and the engine ran sweeter than any TXT I've heard since.

I would definitely check this before I started changing ignition systems etc.

Andy

I had a similar problem with my lads 2003 bike...I had a spark, fuel, ignition timing was ok but would only run for a few seconds....turned out to be a distorted reed block which meant the reeds were only just sealing but not completely. I contacted GasGas through a spanish speaking mate and they admitted that they had a batch of 'out of tolerance' reed blocks. A new block cured the problem completlely and the engine ran sweeter than any TXT I've heard since.

I would definitely check this before I started changing ignition systems etc.

Andy

That's good info to pass on, thanks.

I've found that an NGK BPR5EIX gapped at .020" really helps the 50. The "rare earth" type plugs take less voltage to fire, are not fuel-fouling prone and have a slightly extended heat range. I run one in my 280 Pro at .024" with excellent results.

Jon