Road Registration

merlin

Hi I have a yamaha ty 250 ,no lights or anything and i would like to know if it is possable to make this road legal.how do i go about this and where do i stand on mots and insurance .

i have heard of a daylight mot ?.if so does any one know what the requirements are. any replies wil be greatfully recieved

regards tony

hi tony i have just done my gasgas and for a day time MOT all you need is a horn, i used a air horn and some gaffer tape and she went stright through!!! if you get them to MOT it off the chassis number then you can send that off to the DVLA as for insurance i have a traders policy so not sure about that !!

You also need insurance on the frame number, insurance companies will only do this for a short period of weeks, you will need this before applying to the dvla. The dvla wil probably want to see the bike as well.

I have road registered a couple of enduro bikes in the past.

Its quite easy just a lot of red tape to wade through, good luck patience required for something so simple!

What are requirements for the horn - continuous tone for so long seems to stick in my mind. I presume by air horn you used one on a aerosol? What have other people used. What is the need reference No plates and speedos?

Certificate of newness makes it an easy job not sure what its like without one. Might have to get bike inspected at local licensing office to make sure it actually exists.

Would imagine there is a Help sheet on DVLA web or similar

Just had my Sherpa MOT'd.

Everything tested as usual but no lights so certificate issued with an advisory about not using in dark.

MOT 1st issued without registration, no insurance requ'd if bike taken on trailer.

Speedo is NOT tested.

Can confirm electric cycle horn OK - as long as continuous tone. Got mine for pennies from eBay.

Think it might be worth talking to MOT guy to be sure HE knows the rules! (This is particularly true when fitting number plates. I have one set to please the MOT tester and another set which are smaller but still legal according to the details on the gov's transport website!

WrinkleyP

Hi don't forget to check your tyres, they should be E marked, (some tyres are not E marked and say 'not for road use' which are a No No)

P..

Don't confuse the E marking and not for road use. Mich's have an E marking and not for road use on them. The E marking shows they are type approved for road use in the EU (probably OK elsewhere too) and the not for road use is for USA and Canada. In fact I think it says USA and Canada beside the not for road use.

I had a job's worth MOT guy argue that the not for road use meant he couldn't issue a cert so I contacted the Technical Dept of Michelin and got a fax from the techinical director himself sent to the garage to explain the marking on the tyre.

Some of the other things that he had a hard on for:

No seat. He lost when he couldn't prove that the little rubberised sticker wasn't a seat. There's nothing to say it has to be comfortable. If there was no ducati would get an MOT.

No lights. Day time use only MOT

No Speedo. Dont need one for the MOT.

Not acceptable number plate. This one took a bit of thinking but eventually I got round this too by just removing it. There's no requirement for one in the MOT. Just take your registration docs to prove the number for the paperwork unless your first registering and then you just get the frame number on the MOT and once you get a reg go back to the garage and get a copy with the right number on it.

I'm sure there was more but these were the main ones.

Hi,

I will soon be getting an MOT on my Fantic, I already have the V5 doc with reg number etc. can someone confirm that this is all correct;

No lights required, day time use only MOT only, (any reflectors required?)

No Speedo required. (should it be present, but just not checked?)

There's no requirement for a number plate (but I will have one fitted)

Tyres should be E marked

Continuous tone horn required with own battery

Should the exhaust be marked road legal?

Thanks, Mat

Yamaha will issue you with a dating letter for free if you write to them with the eng and frame numbers etc. You don't need a speedo for mot test, daft as it sounds it is a legal requirement if you go on the road. :)

Google Yamaha for the address.

PS Reflector required on the rear.

Edited by bo drinker

Hi,

For trials type bike MOT's the guide lines are as follows:,

lights not required (advisory will be issued warning presenter not to use bike in times of bad visibility)

Reflector not required.

Horn must be of a continious audiable note, (bikes reg before august 1973 a bulb type horn is acceptable)

Speedo not required,

Exhaust no longer requires E mark or bsau markings (but must not be noisy)

Number plates have letters on two lines,have a standard font ,black letters on yel ref backing and must be readable from approx 15mts.

(bikes reg before jan 1973 can have white letters on a black background)

Tyres must be E marked.

Seat must be secure (stick on or painted on seat pads acceptable)

all the other testable components follow the same guidelines of a standard road type motorcycle.

hope this helps.P..