Majesty Engine No's

zarkoff

hi there. i am a bit confused about my majesty engine number does any body know if it sound's right.

Z 07731..(last 2 numbers omitted) this is the bike on the majesty tank topic in this forum it is a 250. here is a link to a site which has caused me the confusion.

http://www.tytrials.co.uk/technicalarticles_302159.html

Edited by zarkoff

There is no such thing as a Majesty engine number as the engine is the standard TY lump, therefore it will have the normal Yamaha TY engine serial number stamped on it. They will usually start 434 for an early bike or 493 for the later bike. Not sure how you can determine from T & T site that it is a Majesty engine or have I missed something. Only Shirty would have a record of the chassis numbers of TY250 bikes converted to Majesties.

Originally, the frame and engine numbers on a TY250 would have matched, therefore they would on a Majesty also (Yam framed bikes, not Godden obviously) but it is possible that someone in the past has fitted another engine. As a TY motor starts with the above mentioned prefix numbers, could someone have put a DT engine in it? TY engine number doesn't begin with a Z.

On the block where the engine number is stamped has it got the fine cast/machined lines going down through the numbers as all Yamahas had in those days? If not then the number may have been tampered with in the past, also is it registered for the road, this does not make much odds as if years ago you told DVLC your eng no was your date of birth say 01091963 then they would put it on the V5 as that. And back then if it was inspected to register they sometimes didn't know their ass from their elbow. depending who inspected it. :mellow:

On the block where the engine number is stamped has it got the fine cast/machined lines going down through the numbers as all Yamahas had in those days? If not then the number may have been tampered with in the past, also is it registered for the road, this does not make much odds as if years ago you told DVLC your eng no was your date of birth say 01091963 then they would put it on the V5 as that. And back then if it was inspected to register they sometimes didn't know their ass from their elbow. depending who inspected it. :mellow:

hello there thanks for the reply the bike isn't road reg take a look at this

100_0284.jpg

i also have some issues wiyh the frame number as well it also doesn't match any thing , as i said earlier there is a pic of this bike on the majesty tank topic check it out .

That has been tampered with, possibly a long time ago. I would try and get a set of crankcases and change the internals over. But if you do not intend to register the bike then leave it. Do the frame numbers start with the numbers Woody quoted ??

Edited by bo drinker

That has been tampered with, possibly a long time ago. I would try and get a set of crankcases and change the internals over. But if you do not intend to register the bike then leave it. Do the frame numbers start with the numbers Woody quoted ??

no the frame numbers dont really match either i just seems a little strange to me that if someone was going to tamper with the numbers they would make it so obvious if, i was going to do it i would keep them close to the original format but anyway i dont any of the history of the bike just that the frame is just like a majesty. thanks for your reply anyway .

As Woody says the TY250 A which has the slightly wider flywheel and clutch cases starts with 434 and this will be in the place that you showed in the photo and on the headstock. The later models with the slimmer cases (like yours) and the full width fins on the barrel all started with 493- . All Yamaha engines as fitted to trials TY series machines had 6 figure engine numbers that were duplicated on the headstock. All that having been said I do have one in my showroom that has the 434-005772 on the frame and on the engine -005772 with the 434 designator missing?

What is the frame number?

I have also seen a TY 250D which DID have an odd ball number but this apparently was a "test" engine

Tony

As Woody says the TY250 A which has the slightly wider flywheel and clutch cases starts with 434 and this will be in the place that you showed in the photo and on the headstock. The later models with the slimmer cases (like yours) and the full width fins on the barrel all started with 493- . All Yamaha engines as fitted to trials TY series machines had 6 figure engine numbers that were duplicated on the headstock. All that having been said I do have one in my showroom that has the 434-005772 on the frame and on the engine -005772 with the 434 designator missing?

What is the frame number?

I have also seen a TY 250D which DID have an odd ball number but this apparently was a "test" engine

Tony

hi there tony well the frame number is totally different because someone told me it was a john shirt model as i have discused in the other topic i would like to think that there wasn't some thing sinister going on here but i may never know.

Zarkoff, just out of interest that wasnt you at the Lancs County trial on sunday with the Armstrong was it?

ah well spotted, first trial for me in 20 years and i'm afraid i found out i wasn't as fit as i thought so it's some training for me before the next one possibly easter.

Is the frame number at front of headstock in small numbers or is it to the right hand side as normal. Godden frames were at the front and smaller stamps than Yamaha. Just a thought ??

the number is to the right a bit and it's not a godden frame . thanks ZARKOFF