Trials Central Performance

Andy

Trials Central Performance  

145 members have voted

1. 1. How do you find the speed of this website?

• Fast enough for me all the time
    • Fast enough for me some of the time
    • Slow during peak times i.e. Sunday/Monday nights, but fine otherwise
    • Slower than other popular sites I visit regularly
    • I don't visit as much as I would if the site was faster
  2. 2. Where are you located?

• United Kingdom
    • USA/Canada
    • Europe (apart from UK/N. Ireland)
    • Australia/New Zealand
    • Somewhere else

Speed: 2 secs for the front page. Forums around 5 seconds. (can be slower in the early evening, occasionally as much as 10 seconds)

Eh? The Forums have all sorts of clever caching built in to improve speed. You're telling us the Forum page load time is more than double the front page load time? That doesn't make any sense at all. ;)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Eh? The Forums have all sorts of clever caching built in to improve speed. You're telling us the Forum page load time is more than double the front page load time? That doesn't make any sense at all. ;)

From the front page it takes longer from when I hit the link into the forums to get into them than it does for the Front Page to load up, seriously, chances are it's more to do with my crap machine at home that she won't let me replace. The speeds are not really a problem, you wanted picky, that's picky, personally they're fine.

If you want some really p*** poor numbers I'll tell you what it's like in here on our exciting windows NT operating platform........... :)

The forums are more often than not very slow. I would say its got a lot worse in the last 6 months. The front page isn't too bad but its all a lot slower than other forums I use. Sometimes I leave it a bit and try later.

my main annoyance over the years is people who won't put where they are from in their profiles.... makes answering some questions a lot easier if a rough location is known!!

Yes, especially when you answer the 'where can I go to practice' type questions.

Back to the current topic..... I have a slow Broadband package with Plus net (which is actually far better than the orange one it replaced) the front page takes about 13 seconds and the forums about seven seconds.

Andy, I'm perfectly happy with that, and I appreciate you providing this site.

The poll as it stands is interesting, as are some of the comments.

The makers of the Forum software have done all sorts to improve caching and performance. The front page of TC isn't optimised at all so it's really strange some of you are finding the front page faster than the Forums! I really don't understand that.

I know and take on the comments about the front page being "tired". This is something we've been meaning to do something about for some time now, but it's a question of having the time to dedicate it. Whilst looking for something else yesterday I came across a company that will convert an existing website to our content management system of choice. I've emailed them for budgetary costs. The Supporters scheme means we're far healthier than ever before in terms of being able to invest in the site and if the price is right, it makes sense to pay someone to do the work ;)

The poll as it stands is interesting, as are some of the comments.

The makers of the Forum software have done all sorts to improve caching and performance. The front page of TC isn't optimised at all so it's really strange some of you are finding the front page faster than the Forums! I really don't understand that.

its probably because they are going from the front page to the forums and back to the front page, where the front page is already preloaded if nothing has changed on it, where as the forums something is always changing the majority of the time.

i'm in cyprus and the way they have the internet is an overall wireless system shared throught most of the island through different providers, so the bandwidth is shared for the whole island and sometimes it is really really really slow. pain in the ar$e!!

i'm in cyprus and the way they have the internet is an overall wireless system shared throught most of the island through different providers, so the bandwidth is shared for the whole island and sometimes it is really really really slow. pain in the ar$e!!

I didn't think that if you lived on a Mediterranean island that you were allowed to complain.

Edited by swooshdave

I find on 4.2Mbps the front page, recently, first time takes ages but the forums are very reasonable, but as it happens when I went to reply to this topic that page took a fair while to load. Do not like to criticise as Trials Central is a excellent website.

as it happens when I went to reply to this topic that page took a fair while to load.

She cannae take it Captain! I noticed myself she was running like a dog earlier so did some monitoring...

post-20-1205007224.jpg

That is a tad worrying on a Saturday evening which isn't one of the busiest times. Processor should never run that high. I'm going to take the forums offline tomorrow afternoon and do some optimising of the databases.

Do not like to criticise as Trials Central is a excellent website.

It's okay to criticise when you're asked to criticise ;)

I'm not the most prolific poster and I'm not clued up enough on broadband to be able to qoute my connection speed etc. I am, however, pleased with the service provided by T.C. and the invaluable advice/infomation I have received from it. In addition, I feel there is a certain sense of irony in the fact that people may get frustrated by a website performing slowly, when they're prepared to wait ages in a cloud of 2-stroke fumes to ride a 45 second section!

Please don't bite my head off, I'm not having a go at anybody, and I realise that Andy is doing a bit of research to find peoples perception of the site, but for me, it's all I need.

I'm not the most prolific poster and I'm not clued up enough on broadband to be able to qoute my connection speed etc. I am, however, pleased with the service provided by T.C. and the invaluable advice/infomation I have received from it. In addition, I feel there is a certain sense of irony in the fact that people may get frustrated by a website performing slowly, when they're prepared to wait ages in a cloud of 2-stroke fumes to ride a 45 second section!

Please don't bite my head off, I'm not having a go at anybody, and I realise that Andy is doing a bit of research to find peoples perception of the site, but for me, it's all I need.

I really do appreciate the nice things people are saying, but you won't be saying that in a few months time if things go on like this! This is a relatively quiet time on TC. Once we get into the major league events like the SSDT and World Outdoor and all the extra content like photos and video that they bring and all the extra interest they generate, as things stand right now the site will grind to a halt. That is very worrying. However, it's not insurmountable. Just need to do a bit of planning.

Andy

I think I can compete with you again on travel. I'm currenly in a hotel in Korea with what looks like a pretty slow connection but TC is still about normal. I can't say that other than on some very occational slow periods TC has always performed very well. You know my feelings but I'll add them to the floods coming in and no doubt swelling that head of yours. Keep up the good work. I've been an irregular visitor recently due to travel and work but should be back on line again more ofter now. Look out Donald.