250 Or 280 Or 300 Or "raga" For Me?

funtrials

I'm considering either a 2008 Gas Gas 250, or 280, or 300, or a (used, or do they make new ones?) "Raga" model.

I weigh around 200 lbs. (91 kg), and am in the expert class (well I WAS, before I quit years ago....but hopefully after a few months I'll be back in form.)

I've tried an older 250 and a 2007 280, but it's kind of hard to really TELL what I'd like better after just a short ride.

I'm not concerned about the price differences.

My question is: what factors/differences do YOU GUYS see between these 4 bikes for me!? Thanks.

Quite a knowledgeable group of riders on this forum!

FYI: "Search" didn't work for me.

Edited by Funtrials

I'm considering either a 2008 Gas Gas 250, or 280, or 300, or a (used, or do they make new ones?) "Raga" model.

I weigh around 200 lbs. (91 kg), and am in the expert class (well I WAS, before I quit years ago....but hopefully after a few months I'll be back in form.)

I've tried an older 250 and a 2007 280, but it's kind of hard to really TELL what I'd like better after just a short ride.

I'm not concerned about the price differences.

My question is: what factors/differences do YOU GUYS see between these 4 bikes for me!? Thanks.

Quite a knowledgeable group of riders on this forum!

FYI: "Search" didn't work for me.

Definately 250, great to go and if you,re get back you, old skill then you can win on this bike.

Dellorto is easier to set and maintan aswell. Enjoy!

250, i've had 280's and 300's for the last 6 years and swear by them, but am being converted to the ideas of a 250 for myself. At normal club trials its fine but if anything i think its making me lazy as its so easy to just point my 300 and fire it up things.

At a harder trial theirs defiantly an element of attempting to keep the bike under control a little which obviously takes a little away from my ability to ride.

Would of missed my Raga Rep but now it seems theirs an option for me to have a 250 Raga ;)

I'm on my third PRO now, all of them 250's, and ponder this choice each time. For most adults it seems 250 is the way to go, its easy to ride, plenty of inexpensive tweaks to make it ride right for you, all explored on this forum. It will resell easier too. However, if you are a genuine centre expert (and up) contender then it looks like the 280 or 300 is the choice.

Must admit though, I do think the bigger engines sound nicer, and would love to have a go one on the big climbs!

I'm on my third PRO now, all of them 250's, and ponder this choice each time. For most adults it seems 250 is the way to go, its easy to ride, plenty of inexpensive tweaks to make it ride right for you, all explored on this forum. It will resell easier too. However, if you are a genuine centre expert (and up) contender then it looks like the 280 or 300 is the choice.

Must admit though, I do think the bigger engines sound nicer, and would love to have a go one on the big climbs!

Good points, the main reason I got a 250 they are easier to sell on.

Good responses, thanks. Keep 'em coming!

I'm surprised to see *all* responses so far are the 250. I was thinking expert class would mostly be 280/300 recommendations, but I guess I was wrong.

Too "jumpy" (especially when low traction sections), is that the problem with the 280/300's?

I'm around 200 pounds (and Dougie's height), so I weigh more than most folks, so would a 280 be better, or not?

Whar about a 300 with the slower throttle?

I do understand now that the 250 would be a very very viable choice...thanks for that.

Good responses, thanks. Keep 'em coming!

I'm surprised to see *all* responses so far are the 250. I was thinking expert class would mostly be 280/300 recommendations, but I guess I was wrong.

Too "jumpy" (especially when low traction sections), is that the problem with the 280/300's?

I'm around 200 pounds (and Dougie's height), so I weigh more than most folks, so would a 280 be better, or not?

Whar about a 300 with the slower throttle?

I do understand now that the 250 would be a very very viable choice...thanks for that.

My first GG was the first ever Raga Rep which was a 280 and although it took a while to get it under control (after about 5 250 Betas) i was amazed by the grip, smoothness and the fact that it effortlessly goes up pretty much anything you point it at, 300 has been the same, both very usable power. Can get a little tiring at a long/hard trial though. Plus this 300 Raga seems to shred tyres ;)

Good point about resale.

But just say if resale was no different on the 3 sizes, THEN which one would you have bought? Thanks.

If I hadn't given the 4rt a go this year, then i would be first in line for a 250 Raga, that I would bet is more than enough in your first year. I do think that since 05 the 250 has got more zippy so will do as much maybe more than you can?

OK I'll be first to say 300 for sure. I'm on my third one now and find it (an 06) has just unbelievable grip and smooth power. They are a handfull straight out of the box but I've never changed anything to soften them other than ride. A lot of people on here are asking for advice about how to soften the 300 slow throttle, retard ign, flywheel weight etc but why change a good thing. It takes a good few trials but when they smooth off you'll wonder why everyone doesn't ride one. If you test drive a brand new one you'll think it too much of a hand full but stick with it. By the way I've also had a 250 and a 280 so I think its fair that I comment.

Same little dilema I was facing. First real trials bike I've owned was a 280Pro (sold last week) which took a bit of time, a little jetting tweak, and a 10T front sprocket and slow throttle for me to feel more comfortable on it in slippery technical spots. Its always felt better in the more open or speedier sections.

I've decided on a 2008 250(not Raga) after reading a couple reviews of the 2008 models. Where I ride there are rarely clean, dry grippy rocks, and this is where the 280 really felt best. If theres any moisture around its mossy rocks, slick roots, rocky streams or loose forest loam. I had to be very gentle on the throttle on the 280 to avoid wheelspin, and it appears that where the 280 spins to quickly (for me) with zippy hp, the 300 is verging on too much torque right off idle resulting in the same result, wheelspin.

I'm thinking the softer power and the chassis changes they've made for better turning and front grip will help me improve the skills even faster. I'm hoping there is also the usual side effects of slightly less vibes and even easier starting with the smaller engine.

Its hard to make the decision to not go with the bigger engines when the prices are all so close.

I've ridden Gas Gas since 1992, in the expert grade down here and not quite as tall as Douggie (nor as skillful) but have always preferred the grunty power of a 330/300 motor over the smaller engines. I currently ride a 300 Raga, my second 300 and will be getting onto an 08 Raga 300 when available. I like the low end pull of the 300's, and with a flywheel weight fitted and 10T spkt, find the bike is perfect for me in all conditions. It has very controllable "rolly" power at low revs which is great up the creeks (becks) and has instant oomph for lofting the wheel up bigger rocks. I'd say a 250 is about the easiest bike to ride but qualify that with a mention that the motor is very lively and probably not a easy as my 300 when riding up slippy creeks. Like someone else mentioned earlier, when new, the 300 Raga has enormous power and a very quick response to throttle input - this does wear off a little with use though - it's perfect with a weight.

Best thing really is to try them all, the 08 280 I rode in Sept felt very similar to the 300 but was new and not run in, previous 280's I've tried were quite sharp in power delivery and more suited to splatting onto big dry rocks.

Bye, PeterB.