250 Or 280 Or 300 Or "raga" For Me?

funtrials

My two cents. Being a 210 lb advanced rider and having owned 321s, 280s and 300s I have settled on the 280. Perfect torque and can rev cleaner than a 300. We have been building 250 Ragas in Canada for a couple of years and they are wonderful too. Just to add one more option to the list is our newest project; a 125 racing with a 225cc cylinder from S3 (super light with plenty of power). Trying to find the magic formula changes every year as the manufacturers make subtle changes to the porting etc. that make each year unique as well. Good luck.

Spencer

My two cents. Being a 210 lb advanced rider and having owned 321s, 280s and 300s I have settled on the 280. Perfect torque and can rev cleaner than a 300. We have been building 250 Ragas in Canada for a couple of years and they are wonderful too. Just to add one more option to the list is our newest project; a 125 racing with a 225cc cylinder from S3 (super light with plenty of power). Trying to find the magic formula changes every year as the manufacturers make subtle changes to the porting etc. that make each year unique as well. Good luck.

Spencer

how much do these barrels and pistons cost from s3 ?

Speaking of the S3 brand, someone on this forum mentioned trailendurodirect.com, so I checked them out. They have a good number of S3 products, if you have the money for high-end parts.

They have the most Gas Gas trials accessories that I've seen, so far, (I'm not affiliated with them in any way whatsoever, BTW), but I'm just now getting back into the sport. I didn't know that so many trick parts existed.

They also have, at, they admit, very high prices (carbon fiber is expensive!), JT7 brand parts from Jordi Tarres. I wasn't much aware of that brand. FIVE HUNDRED pounds for a carbon fiber airbox is a lot (you can buy a whole used bike for that, no!?), but if I REALLY get into trials, and have money sitting around, I'll consider carbon fiber parts.

They have a chain protector, to protect left boot from the chain....I'd never heard of that.

They have the most Gas Gas trials accessories that I've seen, so far, (I'm not affiliated with them in any way whatsoever, BTW), but I'm just now getting back into the sport. I didn't know that so many trick parts existed.

Thats probably because it is / was the gasgas uk shop site.. but now sell bits for other bikes too :rolleyes:

(Sorry if I started a new thread.)

Update: thanks for the feedback so far! This is my favorite web site now. I'm leaning towards a 280.

So which scenario would be best, and why? (I'm around 200lbs., and hoping to ride expert sections like I did years ago...given months of re-learning the sport.)

1. 2008 280 TXT Pro.

OR

2. 2008 280 "Raga" (new for 2008 & 6 pounds lighter!?), where I play around/experiment with the following:

a. slow vs. fast throttle,

b. flywheel weights vs. no flywheel weights,

c. "retarding" the power (still figuring out exactly how that's done) vs. not.

d. 10T (or even 9T?) front sprocket vs. standard 11T.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Hmm, if so, this could be an interesting pointer for where new bike prices are headed, GBP is down around 12% against the EURO since last March. Interesting to see how much of this the factories and or importers can cover.

Anyhow, looks like you've finally solved your conundrum, have fun(trials) - sorry !

Wow, lots of great advice, guys!

I just bought, yesterday, a used 2006 GG Txt Pro 280, and am on the list for a 2008 280 Raga ("probably coming in June or July to the US", the US importer says.)

Thanks for all your input.

Edited by Funtrials