Old Bult On Sale

max1956bikes

Have another look, unless we're looking at two different bikes with rusty white frame and blue forks, the bike in the link in the very first post has no alloy bashplate, it has the bottom frame rails

Have another look, unless we're looking at two different bikes with rusty white frame and blue forks, the bike in the link in the very first post has no alloy bashplate, it has the bottom frame rails

Your right,sorry.

I think I need glasses.

Has anybody posted this on trials.com.au? Lahey will be interested.

Tim it was me David Lahey who put the link up and no it isn't on trials.com.au yet.

Its relatively close (six hours drive) to where I live. If I didn't already have the red 198 I'm currently fixing up I would have driven there and offered enough to buy it on the spot this weekend. 198s don't come up for sale very often around here and that one appears to be in quite amazingly original condition.

If someone from overseas wants to buy it (especially kiwis) I can pick it up and mind it for you till you can arrange the transport.

David

Swooshdave, I'm not just off with the OSSA people, I'm a full-on 1970s twinshock trials nut who has no particlular affiliation with any brand except for not liking Hondas.

Yes I'm fixing up my OSSA to make it good enough to ride in competition and look nice, making my M49 nicer to ride, fettling my KT to the point where I'm happy to compete on it, machining the front brake drums on my four twinshock Yamahas (3 TYs and a Majesty), restoring a Bultaco M198 from a basket case and restoring a M138 Alpina also from a basket case. I've been full-on fixing up 1970s twinshock trials bikes since 1995 with a goal of answering a whole swag of questions I have had for a long time about them by owning and riding them back to back.

David Lahey

Ok Bultaco spotters - whats this one, what is not original and why was it changed?

post-4121-1204974441.jpg

I love a challenge

It looks like a M80. I first thought it was a late series M49 but the footpeg mounts are welded to the frame.

Homerlite aluminium seat/tank to meet rego requirements in the UK

Sammy Miller front guard mounting because the standard ones wreck the guards

Aftermarket alloy mudguards - no idea

Low rise handlebars - no idea

Ty twinshock headlight and mounts - no idea

Non standard speedo mounted up high - to meet local rego requirements

Sammy Miller chain guard - no idea

Probably a M91 with those inboard rear mudguard brackets, or maybe a 92 with a 250 engine fitted. If it's an M80 it wouldn't have been fitted with the Homerlite tank unit from new, too early.

Tank stripe is wrong, should go all the way to the top but maybe looks better as it is.

Well done feetup for the homerlite tank spot and very well done for the ty lights (it now has the correct lights) but no one has he correct model yet. It is more of less as supplied having hung around in the showroom until the change in law made the supplier take off the fiberglass tank. This model was fiited with a choke.

Clue is - it is the first of its kind....

TIm

Correct!

I came upon this by chance on ebay a while ago and ended up exchanging it for a model 158 which was surplus to requirements. I thought that the tank had been changed at a later date but it turns out it had to be changed when sold for the reasons noticed by feetup. I use the bike for classic trials with road work involved for which, as it shares frame geometry with the Sherpa, competes well in the trail bike class against much more modern bikes. As the gearing has higher ratios it also is great for nipping about in Oxford and beyond. It was on show on Dave Rs stand at the Malvern show and I spent more time talking about it than my other Sherpa on show (but completly eclipse by the two immaculate Matadors next in line, one of which won a deserved 'best in show' trophy).

It will soon be upgraded to electronic ignition as Bultacouk's kit will come with a bracket for the lighting coil.

A great and practical addition to anyone's Bultaco collection.

Probably a M91 with those inboard rear mudguard brackets, or maybe a 92 with a 250 engine fitted. If it's an M80 it wouldn't have been fitted with the Homerlite tank unit from new, too early.

Tank stripe is wrong, should go all the way to the top but maybe looks better as it is.

You can tell it's not a 91/92 because of the swingarm bolt. On the 91/92 (and later models I assume) the head of the bolt is recessed in the frame.

IMG_1991.jpg

I now officially know far too much and will now proceed to forget one thing a day to make room in my noggin.

Also swoosh, the chain tensioner ceased to be leading (attached to the rear brake anchor) to trailing (attached under the swing arm).

If only I could ride the thing as well as I can talk about it.........

We had a great opportunity to compare Bultacos at the ClubBultaco twinshock trial kindy hosted by HUXMCC. 20 Bultacos in a field of 62 twinshocks + smatering of pre65s. Model 10 to 199b. Great day out.

Tim